PDA

View Full Version : Survey: What is your favorite 60 gram Mortar Shell and why?

Ribrown
03-17-2017, 10:25 AM
Just wanted to know what everyone's favorite 60 gram shells are and why they like them best? Thanks in advance!

nayslayer
03-17-2017, 01:48 PM
funny, was just looking around and asking myself the same thing. For what I'm doing in my backyard, I go for the cheapest. They all look to be in the same ballpark.

PyroManiacs
03-17-2017, 02:31 PM
You are going to get a plethora of different answers. What some people can get in certain areas, other people can't.
And don't forget the fact that a 60 gram can is a 60 gram can is a 60 gram can. They are almost all identical give or take some minor differences. Like the way they are constructed for instance. Some have clay plugs and some do not.

Luckily where I live, I can can get NUMEROUS different brands.
Like:
World Class, Dominator, Cutting Edge, Pyro Demon, Windmill, AFW, Mad Ox, Bigs etc.

My favorite were the Demon Shells by Pyro Demon so far. I liked these because they seemed to have had a deeper thud coming out of the tube along with a nice hearty deep and loud break. For me, its all about "LOUD". I find these to be the loudest I have come across with what is available to me in the area.

PyroManiacs
03-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Just find whats available in your area and do some testing. It would be your best option in finding out what you like best.

jknepp1954
03-17-2017, 04:58 PM
You are going to get a plethora of different answers. What some people can get in certain areas, other people can't.
And don't forget the fact that a 60 gram can is a 60 gram can is a 60 gram can. They are almost all identical give or take some minor differences. Like the way they are constructed for instance. Some have clay plugs and some do not.

Luckily where I live, I can can get NUMEROUS different brands.
Like:
World Class, Dominator, Cutting Edge, Pyro Demon, Windmill, AFW, Mad Ox, Bigs etc.

He hit it pretty well. Being EXCALS were the original - they are used as the measuring stick to compare with. Unless you actually do a side to side to side to side comparison with multiple brands - what difference there is has little significance.
We carry Excals, Snipers, Firearm, Bigs Aftermath, Smoke N mirrors, ZEUS, Zombies(AR15 and Shooters - not in yet).
So depends on availabilty and pricing.

Ribrown
03-17-2017, 06:32 PM
Yeah, not going to be able to do any side-by-side comparisons of multiple Brands unfortunately. Just trying to get a feel for what people like best in their personal opinion. I have bought windmill extremes for the last 3 years but have the option of trying some new brands this year. So I just wanted to get an idea of what other people like best. Thanks for all the input!

joewad
03-17-2017, 06:58 PM
Seems to depend upon the year and definately on pricing and case size (agree with Joyce), not much difference in the major players.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-17-2017, 08:24 PM
This question comes up at least twice a year. A couple things to ponder: 60 grams of composition is 60 grams of composition--whether it is put in a standard size 4" canister shell casing or a "5" SUPER LOAD" casing. Marketing hype guys.
ALL canisters break sloppy. Fact of life. Buy whatever brand is accessible to you at the best price you can find & stock up. More is always better.
If you want symmetry in your show get some ball shells or NOAB's and add them in with the cans.
What might have been a hard breaking brand two years ago might be wimpy this year........

pitts
03-18-2017, 07:32 AM
Like PyroJoe said, This topic comes up every year and like everyone said, its hard to pic a favorite because all cans are pretty much the same, sure some might be a little louder coming out of the tube or break a little louder, I have been launching them for quite some time and have probably tried 80% of whats out there, Bigs, Brothers, World class, Cutting Edge, Wild Dragon, G-Force the list goes on and I have been happy with all of them, get what you can afford and I am sure you will be to, more expensive does not mean bettor

ras1986
03-18-2017, 07:56 PM
I like any of the universal brand shells. They come 12/6 and only one effect in the entire case. Silver chrysanthemums!!!!!!! The best cans on the market for sure. Anyone who know universal, knows whats up.

jLk_pyro
03-18-2017, 08:41 PM
Although most 60g cans are usually the same, let's remember that 60 grams total composition in a single shell is the maximum amount aloud. This doesn't necessarily mean that each 60g can has that amount of composition. However, some are close. This is where the best separate themselves from the rest. In my opinion, excals and brothers S&M, and even the demon shells are just some of the shells that always come close to if not at that 60g mark.

chriskrc
03-19-2017, 01:10 PM
I like any of the universal brand shells. They come 12/6 and only one effect in the entire case. Silver chrysanthemums!!!!!!! The best cans on the market for sure. Anyone who know universal, knows whats up.

They are the best silver chrysanthemum I've ever seen. Definitely a good choice to shoot.

Ribrown
03-19-2017, 09:53 PM
Now we're getting somewhere with the Survey. Thank you guys!

fatcat
03-19-2017, 10:20 PM
I got to agree with PM1981 about LOUD. There is nothing like a good thud when the shell comes out of the tube to let you know that you got a good shell. Stick with the brand you can afford until it lets you down. Personally i like the Excals and Chaos cannister shells. My 2 cents

Ribrown
03-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Thank you Fat cat! Yeah I've been using Windmill Extreme for a few years now and have really liked them. But I no longer have access to them. I want to buy from Intergalactic in PA but they have a wide variety of different types. So considering price as not really being a factor, I'd like to choose the most popular. As far as my preferenceschedule, I definately like the noise but am more interested in brilliant colors and different new effects. I do however HATE crackle.

fatcat
03-20-2017, 09:32 AM
I used to hate crackle too, but this last 4th we shot a cake that had crackle and the crowd loved it. Might have to change my opinion on crackle in cakes, but still don't want them in cans

PyroManiacs
03-20-2017, 10:14 AM
I want to buy from Intergalactic in PA but they have a wide variety of different types. So considering price as not really being a factor, I'd like to choose the most popular.

Make sure you tell them you are a member of PyroTalk, they will give you 25% off in the retail store if you purchase any single pieces.

djsmurf
03-21-2017, 11:16 PM
I have always been a fan of Kiss of Death, just nice cans. Wfboom has Commander In Chief which impressed last year and I have them on order again.

Ribrown
03-22-2017, 10:53 AM
Boy those KOD shells look nice! I love the effects. I've had a few different Forward brand cakes and always love their performance so I'm sure the Shells are of the same quality. Unfortunately, I just don't have easy access to Forward brand fireworks over here on the east coast. Thanks for the input!

jamisonlm3
03-22-2017, 11:44 PM
I haven't shot much off, but last year's Quest shells by Brother's and Black Cat's Diablo shells were good IMO. They were both loud and had good effects. I don't recommend World Class's Excalibur. They come with great mortars, but I thought the shell effects weren't as good ad Diablo or Quest. They were still plenty loud enough. I made a sort of demo video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWgTF8tSpq0) of them. I wish I could've gotten the other 11 Diablo shells in it.

Icecold Dan
03-24-2017, 05:48 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat as far as wondering what is best but am also on a budget. I'm very happy to hear that people like the Brothers SnM. These shells are by far the most economical in my area. I buy retail and this come out to about $1.75 a shot.

jamisonlm3
03-24-2017, 08:41 PM
You're really lucky to have retail prices that low. They're just over $3 a shot here. That's the lowest price I've been able to find after visiting half a dozen local stores.

PyroManiacs
03-24-2017, 08:56 PM
I want to buy from Intergalactic in PA but they have a wide variety of different types. So considering price as not really being a factor, I'd like to choose the most popular.

Give the Sky Titans a try.

Ribrown
03-24-2017, 10:11 PM
Yeah thanks! I like the look of the Sky Titans videos. And the price on them is great. Thanks for the recom!

Icecold Dan
03-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Hey Jamisonlm3 check Stateline in Little River. Best prices I've found on just about everything in the North East part of South Carolina.

jamisonlm3
03-27-2017, 11:17 PM
They're a bit far for me. I'm hoping to make an order with a wholesaler in time for the 4th. Right now, I don't plan on buying anymore retail fireworks unless it's to see if I think something is worth buying wholesale.

chriskrc
03-28-2017, 10:51 AM
They're a bit far for me. I'm hoping to make an order with a wholesaler in time for the 4th. Right now, I don't plan on buying anymore retail fireworks unless it's to see if I think something is worth buying wholesale.

That's a great plan to have. Sometimes videos don't give a 500g cake or 200g cakes justice. I've done this a few times myself and end up ordering something by the case the next time.

Kenny East
04-03-2017, 02:47 AM
I usually buy Excalibur, or echo in the ear, or g-force.... Occasionally off brand shells... Their all pretty much the same. Like the tubes for excals... Just picked up a box of hot rod cans... Look a lot like smoke n mirrors... We shall see... Avoid buying fake cans... You can usually tell by how heavy the package is

inition
04-10-2017, 04:57 PM
When it comes to smaller 6 shot festival ball and artillery shell kits, Brothers are the best. The tube is thicker and sturdier which prevents defects and launches the shell higher in the air. I fired two shells from the Asia Pyro artillery shell kit and the tube warped. It wouldn't allow the shell to be placed at the bottom of the tube.

For 60 gram 24 shot kits I like Diablo, Quest and Excel. Original Pro Canisters are pretty good.

chriskrc
04-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Supernova are really nice cans too, especially since you can get them as a single effect in a case or single package. Great price to for them

jamisonlm3
04-12-2017, 09:30 PM
I don't know if it's the particular factory making those supernova cans and similar shells, but I love the crackle in them. They have the best chrackle on the market as far as consumer shells go IMO. It's like a wave of crackle where other shells are more like a flash.

Icooclast
04-29-2017, 11:28 PM
i'd have to say (very easily) that it's World class's Excaliber. because it is the loudest artillery shell i've come across and it comes with HDPE tubes, i prefer those when lighting shells.