PDA

View Full Version : Just sent in my application in Ohio

jbags091992
03-10-2017, 12:01 AM
Hey guys I just sent in my application in Ohio. Where do I go From here? How long does it take to hear back from them? Is there a way for me to check out the status of my application? Or do they just call me up on a random day or mail me something? Any tips on how I can prepare myself for the interview? I hat questions will he be asking? What do I do if he asks about local state laws? Anything will be helpfu, thanks guys, hopefully I can get it before the fourth.

displayfireworks1
03-10-2017, 08:42 AM
He is a video of an ATF Inspector interviewing an applicant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3sLzmmejCA
Don't call anyone to check on anything , wait for the phone call or email to set up the interview. They have been known to just show up at the applicants house without a phone call. My guess is the chances of the latter happening are dependent upon the driving distant from the office to your home. Don't ask the Inspector a bunch of questions like he is on a quiz show. He ask you questions and you answer. It is a very simple process, he is there to educate you.

Bigjohnson
03-10-2017, 12:23 PM
When I had mine he just went over all the rules and regs (specifically storage) asked what my plans were and how much money I planned on spending a year. That's about it. Good luck.

displayfireworks1
03-10-2017, 03:23 PM
My experience has been the conversation between the applicant and the Inspector is often misinterpreted when the applicant later reports on what the Inspector did or did not tell them on what is and what is not required. I fought some of this for years when people went around professing the ATF told them a state shooter certificate was required prior to them receiving an ATF license. Most ATF Inspectors are going to give you everything they discuss in writing and check it off as they go. Then the written document is evidence of what was discussed. You then sign the document. They may speculate in conversation with you about many things, but it is meaningless to some degree unless it is in some form of a written document. It is not like a job interview where they are making a value judgment on your worthiness or competency to receive the license. If you are meeting the basic requirements of the license that is all you really need to prepare for.
Not that you necessarily have to , put it appears you not buy my ATF/DVD package. I discuss most of this in the DVD's about the interview process. Look when they cashed your check to see if they received it and just wait.

djsmurf
03-10-2017, 11:37 PM
jbags091992 what part of Ohio are you from? Now you just sit back and wait, it took them a good while to get in touch with me. I actually had 2 Investigators do my interview, both were nice and professional. Make sure you have your Letters of contingency for storage, just incase. The questions were rather regular. They asked some questions about State law, however they were more intune with my progress toward obtaining my state exhibitor licence (Fingers crossed this year). Do not expect a quiz on law, that is not what they are there for. In fact I had just as many questions for them as they did for me. Mark spots in your orange book that you are not clear on, they will be more then happy to answer you. If you have any questions shoot me a PM. Good Luck!

shake the cove
03-11-2017, 11:45 AM
Like big johnson said my agent went over the regs from the orange book and like dave said had them sign off on the pertinent ones you will get a copy but I also had a copier at the house. She did ask what I intended to do with the license but showed her I already had training and a state shooters license pending. Biggest thing in my state tennessee was sending a letter to local and state fire marshall the I now have an explosive container on my property.
Don't ask a ton of questions again as Dave said. It is a shall issue license,do not add something they can go huuummm to. Get it then feel free to call them and ask or shoot a question to forum members. Good luck.
By the way the interview took over 1.5 hrs. By the book stuff, she did not care to BS or reminisce.

jbags091992
03-18-2017, 09:50 PM
so they processed my payment and i called my local office to see what happens next and she was very nice and said all i have to do is wait for a call from an agent to set up an interview and said all the interview will consist of is record keeping and i said thats it and she said thats it.

displayfireworks1
03-18-2017, 10:30 PM
Told you don't call them but you still did. LOL May as well get ready to put the Inspector on a quiz show and ask him a bunch a question. Then call a week after the interview and ask them where your license is.

jbags091992
03-19-2017, 11:32 AM
Told you don't call them but you still did. LOL May as well get ready to put the Inspector on a quiz show and ask him a bunch a question. Then call a week after the interview and ask them where your license is.

I didn't not give them my name or anything and she didn't ask Dave, I just wanted to make sure they would call to set up a time to meet, not just show up and she went into all the details

jbags091992
03-19-2017, 11:36 AM
My experience has been the conversation between the applicant and the Inspector is often misinterpreted when the applicant later reports on what the Inspector did or did not tell them on what is and what is not required. I fought some of this for years when people went around professing the ATF told them a state shooter certificate was required prior to them receiving an ATF license. Most ATF Inspectors are going to give you everything they discuss in writing and check it off as they go. Then the written document is evidence of what was discussed. You then sign the document. They may speculate in conversation with you about many things, but it is meaningless to some degree unless it is in some form of a written document. It is not like a job interview where they are making a value judgment on your worthiness or competency to receive the license. If you are meeting the basic requirements of the license that is all you really need to prepare for.
Not that you necessarily have to , put it appears you not buy my ATF/DVD package. I discuss most of this in the DVD's about the interview process. Look when they cashed your check to see if they received it and just wait.

And by the way Dave I did purchase your DVD package

PyroJoeNEPA
03-19-2017, 11:47 AM
The most difficult part of the application process is waiting to get scheduled for your interview. You can't rush bureaucracy. The wheels are turning--just be patient ---you will get a phone call for an interview. That will be completed & then you will have to be patient AGAIN until your paperwork arrives in the mail. Remember Mr Miaghi--"wax on, wax off---wax on, wax off".

displayfireworks1
03-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Relax and let process happen, if you watched my DVD you know what to expect. You will have your license in plenty of time of July 4th. Check your email and keep your phone handy and have some dates and times to offer them to come out to interview you. That is all you need at this point. Don't make anymore phone calls.

jbags091992
03-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Hey guys, just got the phone call to set up an interview this Friday, she was very friendly and said that we will be just going over the rules and regulations and that she should be in and out in under an hour... wish me luck

chriskrc
03-27-2017, 03:27 PM
Good luck to you on the interview.

jbags091992
03-31-2017, 09:40 AM
Hey guys interview went very very smooth, I was nervous because naturally the name ATF kind of scares you a little. But it was totally the opposite, took maybe a half hour at the most. Asked why I wanted one and I told her and she said ok and basically just went threw the rules and regulations and that was it. She did say my background check is still pending, but I mean I think I only sent in my application a week ago. She said as long as I pass that my license will be in the mail witching a couple
Of weeks.

chriskrc
03-31-2017, 11:51 AM
That is awesome. Good for you hopefully all is good.

pyromustang
03-31-2017, 01:38 PM
great news. show us a picture of your first 1.3 item you shoot with that new license

displayfireworks1
03-31-2017, 07:11 PM
jbags091992, now sit back and relax and wait for the license to come in the mail. They use to come in a Blue Envelope, now I heard it may be a off white envelope. Maybe someone can update us on the current envelope color, either way let us know when you receive your license. I'll be announcing some demos and open shoots soon, maybe you can put that license to use very soon.

djsmurf
03-31-2017, 11:25 PM
Hey guys interview went very very smooth, I was nervous because naturally the name ATF kind of scares you a little. But it was totally the opposite, took maybe a half hour at the most. Asked why I wanted one and I told her and she said ok and basically just went threw the rules and regulations and that was it. She did say my background check is still pending, but I mean I think I only sent in my application a week ago. She said as long as I pass that my license will be in the mail witching a couple
Of weeks.

Glad the process is moving along for you. Congrats on a smooth interview.

DexTee
04-01-2017, 01:57 AM
Wow, that seems very fast from the time you submitted your application to getting the interview, that is great!

I bought Dave's DVDs, and just mailed in all of my information today. I have a show to do on Father's Day weekend, so if mine is processed as fast as yours, I may have a shot to get some 1.3 shells for the event. :)

Bigjohnson
04-01-2017, 02:43 PM
Mine wasn't in a blue envolope. It was a Manila regular size envolope