PDA

View Full Version : 7 Inch Shells in the U.S.?

Mattdeluca14
03-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Hello, everyone. Here's something interesting I've recently found out. In the U.K. and Europe they have 7" (175mm) fireworks shells. I thought this was unusual compared to the old-fashioned 2,2.5,3,4,5,6,8,10,12, etc. "standard" commercial 1.3 shell sizes here in the U.S. Has anyone here ever bought or fired a commercial 7" shell in the U.S.? From what I've seen online, they're quite impressive. One key aspect to them, however, is that they are obviously less than 8 inches. Which may mean they are "immune" to the 1.1g shipping category and thus could be imported from over-seas. I'm not 100% sure on that. If that does happen to be the case, why are they not used more widely (or even at all) in commercial fireworks displays here? One would think if we can no longer import 8s from across the pond that we would import the next largest shell. Unless, of course, they do and I've just never personally seen any. One manufacturer by the name of BlackBoxx Fireworks (I believe based in Poland) makes a particular 7" shell called the Titan Diadem. It looks like it'd give an 8 a run for its money! There's a few videos on YouTube of this shell in action. Anyway, does this seem like it could become a trend for importers or would it just not catch on? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

PyroManiacs
03-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Pretty Interesting...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CthBStJFLM4

215less
03-10-2017, 01:13 PM
boom...i like

PyroJoeNEPA
03-10-2017, 02:06 PM
Personally, I don't think it would "catch on". Too many companies have large sums of money invested in 6" & 8" racks. Why add another size? There really isn't anything to be gained. I have seen good quality 6" shells that break bigger & harder than some low budget 8" shells---so it isn't always the size of the shell you are putting in the air. Just more to deal with concerning inventory, etc.

displayfireworks1
03-10-2017, 03:04 PM
If I remember correctly 7 inch shells were in use years ago in United States and then faded away. Really do not see a need for them now.

PyroJoeNEPA
03-10-2017, 05:55 PM
If I remember correctly 7 inch shells were in use years ago in United States and then faded away
Dave---do you recall if the 7" guns were for Italian style "salami" shells--or were there ball shells in that size in use then?

displayfireworks1
03-10-2017, 06:59 PM
I only remember seeing and hearing about the mortars. I never saw the shells that went in them. Maybe someone else can add something about this.

countryboy7978
03-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Victory still carries 7" in Lidu and Vulcan brands.

ras1986
03-11-2017, 01:40 PM
I have also seen 7 inch shells on some price lists lately. I thought it was a typo until I saw it more