PDA

View Full Version : any thoughts

pitts
02-19-2017, 11:56 AM
something I am going to attempt this year using full sheets of plywood, I know the drawing is crude but should be able to get the idea, 3/4" plywood base with 2 sheets 1/2" plywood with holes cut to accommodate the tubes, corners built with 2x4 with dado cuts to accept the plywood. Just some quick thinking I can get 15 across and 30 down which will be 450 and will be built basically as a trailer I can tow with my lawn tractor. Anyone ever attempt anything like this? Is it worth the time? Can anyone else think of anything I may be overlooking?

Rick_In_Tampa
02-19-2017, 01:13 PM
So you're effectively looking to build a 450 shot mortar rack that you can tow behind a lawn tractor? The thing is going to weigh a ton! I'm just wondering how you'd load, fuse, and maintain something that big. It's also a lot of shells to have in the same piece of sky at the same time. Were you going to add any angles to the rows of tubes to create a fan effect?

pitts
02-19-2017, 02:05 PM
So you're effectively looking to build a 450 shot mortar rack that you can tow behind a lawn tractor? The thing is going to weigh a ton! I'm just wondering how you'd load, fuse, and maintain something that big. It's also a lot of shells to have in the same piece of sky at the same time. Were you going to add any angles to the rows of tubes to create a fan effect?

yeah, was going to try and angle some of the outer rows so it would fill more sky, use different burn rate fuses, I figure I can reach to the center of it no problem and attach the fuses to a length of cannon fuse or whatever I use. And yes ,it will weigh quite a bit, still debating on whether or not it would be worth the money and effort involved and instead just get some 50-100 shot racks

Rick_In_Tampa
02-19-2017, 03:58 PM
... and instead just get some 50-100 shot racks

I hate to quash creativity, but I think that last thing you wrote makes the most sense to me. Small racks are easier to carry, easier to manage, easier to fix, easier to separate for different effects, and easier to store!

Just my $0.02 though.

pitts
02-19-2017, 04:14 PM
I hate to quash creativity, but I think that last thing you wrote makes the most sense to me. Small racks are easier to carry, easier to manage, easier to fix, easier to separate for different effects, and easier to store!

Just my $0.02 though.

well you know, the more I thought about it, the time it would take to drill all the holes and line up everything and angle the tubes the way I would like, and so on, maybe it is a little ambitious to try and a few of those things you mentioned I never thought about Thanks for the input

Rick_In_Tampa
02-20-2017, 09:51 AM
Happy to help!

PyroJoeNEPA
02-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Building individual 10 shot racks gives you MUCH more flexibility--you can arrange them in any combination you want--and spread them out into stations with angles & straight ups--will cover a lot more sky. Also, no need to worry about a blow out in a tube scattering other tubes with lit shells all over the ground. Easy to make pods of them--just a few screws & some 1" x 3". Simple to disassemble & store. Don't overthink it.