PDA

View Full Version : Small Ground salute

chris45
02-13-2017, 01:30 AM
Is there enough room in a standard m80 tube to binary mix the flash in the tube

displayfireworks1
02-13-2017, 08:33 AM
Sure but not to 100% accuracy of mixture unless you shake it a bunch of times. The guys that make salute rocket headers did this one year at the PGI to get around a rule not to make flash. The story goes after they added the ingredients they slowly moved the rockets back and forth on the way to the firing line. They sell a professional product like this. Commonly called a A-B mixture. Two pre measured small bottles of powder used in Concussion Pots, Flash Pots. Thunder Mugs whatever you want to call them. I remember the strongest mixture was called Coliseum Mixture.
I would use something larger then an M-80 tube. Off the top of my head I would say to make one the traditional way first up to 3/4 full. Then dump and weight the contents of that one tube. Take the total weight and reverse calculate 70 ppw and 30 ppw to 100 % of the weight of that one cartridge. Then weight out the two separate ingredients into a A-B mixture. You are going to need a scale that measure milligrams. Most of these scales I see are in Grams. Maybe there is another way someone can tell you.

chris45
02-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Il try that

countryboy7978
02-13-2017, 07:56 PM
Keep in mind old cherries were binary mixed. That's a big reason the cups are only partially filled.

displayfireworks1
02-14-2017, 10:10 PM
Here is the product I was referencing, A, B mixture. Frankly I think it is waste of money. I guess if you are in the display business you can just give this to the technicians to mix on site. I would also guess it does not require special storage . It carries a convenience safety factor for people in the business. I believe these are designed for concussion pots. That is how we used them. I may have to get a concussion mortar one of these days. You can do all sorts of effects with these and some chemical mixtures. I suspect these A-B mixtures are premeasured flash powder. You can add flash powder to a concussion mortar and make a nice boom and not have to worry about flying cardboard etc. We used these once on the roof of one story building and the audience was on the sidewalk across the street.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Flash_Powders.JPG
Tannerite sells the mortars.
http://tanneriteexplosives.com/products/images/large/Steel-Cannon_LRG.jpg