PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from Texas

Redfish
02-09-2017, 01:41 PM
just got on board hoping to get a better understanding of how to obtain my Pryo operator license in the state of Texas. Ive been shooting my own displays for many years now strictly for my family and friends enjoyment. the last 6-8 years the number people that come see the display has grown immensely. For many years now Ive thought about getting my license but never really new how or where to start. The Texas department of Insurance site says what is needed but no real info on how to move forward as in: 1. Do I just make calls to current Pyro companies to get in on getting my required signoffs or is there a different method? 2. Are there any classes/training available to prepare for the exam? ......... plus a few other questions associated with that.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, I hope I didn't break a rule by asking these questions on this welcome thread. if I did, I will prepost where ever I need to.

fatcat
02-09-2017, 01:48 PM
Welcome to the forum. Sorry i can't answer any of your questions, I'm sure some of the other guys and gals will jump in and give you some info. What part of Texas do you call home? Once again Welcome to pyrotalk

Redfish
02-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Im down in deep south Texas in an area known as the Rio Grande Valley. looking forward to learning new things and a few tips here and there.

displayfireworks1
02-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Redfish, How close do you live to Lewisville Tx and are you free March 18, 2017 ?

Rick_In_Tampa
02-09-2017, 04:45 PM
Welcome aboard Redfish! Glad to see another amateur pyro on the boards. I'm sure Dave can get you all the info you need to get your ATF 54!

Redfish
02-09-2017, 04:46 PM
only 9 hours south. LOL Texas is a big state!! I saw a training up there that date, but im booked that day. :-( may try to make it to the one in Louisiana.

PyroManiacs
02-09-2017, 05:14 PM
Welcome Redfish!

PyroJoeNEPA
02-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Welcome to the Forum Redfish.

Redfish
02-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Welcome aboard Redfish! Glad to see another amateur pyro on the boards. I'm sure Dave can get you all the info you need to get your ATF 54!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the atf 54 only allow you to puchase 1.3 f/w and not actually legally shoot them? I'm just learning about the licenses so please correct me when I'm wrong

Rick_In_Tampa
02-09-2017, 11:14 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the atf 54 only allow you to puchase 1.3 f/w and not actually legally shoot them? I'm just learning about the licenses so please correct me when I'm wrong

You are correct Sir!!

djsmurf
02-10-2017, 12:42 AM

This might help a little, page 7, hopefully some others from your area will comment. https://www.tdi.texas.gov/fire/documents/fmstatfireworks.pdf

I have my 54 and am in Ohio, laws here suck and shooting is not easy. I do however shoot shows in PA and the process is much more relaxed. Reaching out to local Pyro companies is not a bad idea. The ones around my area have been a ton of help.

carrant
02-10-2017, 01:02 AM
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Texan!

Wholesale Fireworks
02-10-2017, 09:43 AM
Welcome to the forum Redfish

Fire Art
02-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Welcome aboard!

ras1986
02-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Another texan!!! Nice. Join the tx 54 club with me and esgrillo . Listen. You don't need to get all those sign offs and you don't need a state shooter certification to get your license. There are 2 of us on here who don't have that garbage. It's useless to have unless you want it purely for knowledge and experience. Just because you have the Texas certification doesn't mean you can shoot 1.3, there are alot more hoops to jump through. Get Dave's package and let him show you how to get your 54. I'll hook you up and get you in with texas 1.3 vendors and I'll help you get storage

displayfireworks1
02-10-2017, 08:53 PM
It is starting to happen in Texas like it did in Florida, we are starting to get an influx of pyro enthusiast from Texas onto the forums. Its great.

djsmurf
02-10-2017, 11:33 PM
Another texan!!! Nice. Join the tx 54 club with me and esgrillo . Listen. You don't need to get all those sign offs and you don't need a state shooter certification to get your license. There are 2 of us on here who don't have that garbage. It's useless to have unless you want it purely for knowledge and experience. Just because you have the Texas certification doesn't mean you can shoot 1.3, there are alot more hoops to jump through. Get Dave's package and let him show you how to get your 54. I'll hook you up and get you in with texas 1.3 vendors and I'll help you get storage

Thanks for the reply ras!

Redfish
02-11-2017, 12:35 AM
So the 54 allows me to get and shoot 1.3's?? What about setting up displays for pay. I have several event organizers wanting me to set up something for them but I keep telling them I can't cuz I'm not licensed. Also, need help understanding the storage of 1.3s. Much to learn and I feel stupid asking a bunch of questions but how else am I going to learn! Lol I appreciate your help guys.

displayfireworks1
02-11-2017, 12:47 AM
It sounds like you are trying to set up a fireworks display for profit? In other words are the event organizers going to give you money and you will shoot a fireworks display for them and you want to make a little something for providing the display? Or something else?

Redfish
02-11-2017, 12:55 AM
It sounds like you are trying to set up a fireworks display for profit? In other words are the event organizers going to give you money and you will shoot a fireworks display for them and you want to make a little something for providing the display? Or something else?
Yes. Trying set up displays for profit

ilovecrackle
02-11-2017, 01:11 AM
So the 54 allows me to get and shoot 1.3's??

Getting your 54 is a federal license that only allows you to legally purchase 1.3. That is the easy part.
After you have acquired your 54, to legally shoot 1.3, you need to check with your state/local/county laws because every state/county is different. Once you get your 54, that doesn't give you a legal pass to start throwing 1.3 in your shows at will without proper authorization, permits, etc.
Some states/counties are very relaxed in their regulations and some you pretty much have to give your left nut to get proper authorization to legally shoot 1.3.

So if getting your 54 is something you want to do, by all means go for it. Just know that there is much more to it after the fact to be able to shoot it legally.

esgrillo
02-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Welcome to the forums from another Texan.

cduesman
02-11-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm from Texas as well.

BTW, Texas also requires permits/licenses for any 1.4G shows any time you have "an assembly of 50 or more people". Not sure exactly how they define the assembly, if it includes your crew or neighbours that could see the show.

It's documented in http://www.tdi.texas.gov/fire/documents/fmstatfireworks.pdf

They also mention it again in this notice:
https://www.tdi.texas.gov/fire/documents/fmnoticedisplayconsu.pdf

Chris

displayfireworks1
02-11-2017, 12:38 PM
I help fireworks enthusiast get ATF licensed to advance them further into the fireworks hobby. I do not recommend or help them start their own fireworks display business. I encourage everyone that loves fireworks to work at least part time for a professional fireworks company.They need us to help get the July 4th fireworks out across United States. Most newly ATF Fireworks license individuals that try to start a display business never make it past two years. Those that do make it are an extension of a previously established display business. There is no shortage of as you put it, Event Organizers that want a fireworks display. Most of them contacted a professional company and do not want to pay the price. I'm curious did any of these event organizers give you a dollar amount they want to spend? If that amount is reasonable a professional company will do it and perhaps they will hire you to help work on it.

Redfish
02-13-2017, 12:51 PM
thanks for your response Displayfireworks1. I mean no disrespect, however, what's the harm in individuals trying to set up their own display business and yet fail after 2 years? Most small business owners in any field fail within their first 5 years. As they say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained." I own several businesses and constantly help out individuals seeking to get into any of those fields.
While I don't expect anyone on this forum to simply open up and provide me the whole game plan, any help in doing in the right way and avoid as many headaches as possible would be very helpful and appreciated.

PyroManiacs
02-13-2017, 03:03 PM
While I don't expect anyone on this forum to simply open up and provide me the whole game plan...

Good luck pulling any info out of a legit company. This information is "top secret classified"! LOL

displayfireworks1
02-13-2017, 05:44 PM
Several businesses, wow that is impressive. You sure is not 5. I heard it was 5 but you always say 7. I'm done answering these fireworks business questions. I am going to start charging people for business questions and answers, then instead of hurting their ego, I'll can make a few bucks. I think the advice is more believable if you pay for it.

Who wants to get the fireworks display business ? I will answer all of your questions for an hourly fee. Minimum one hour, rates upon request.

Redfish
02-13-2017, 06:25 PM
Wow... you have no idea who a person is on forums but you can sure tell a lot by their responses. Don't know what caused you to reply so negatively, however at this point, I don't care to know.

To those guys who sent me a PM with encouragement and helpful information, a big thank you.