PDA

View Full Version : Firing system under $350

BoomOhio
02-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Right now I just have a cheap 6 cue system. Im looking to upgrade to a better system for around $350. I'm not a pro but just do a cuple small backyard shows a year. so I dont think I need a cobra as of now. I'm looking at the sparkfire 32 cue system, any thoughts on this system? Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks!

displayfireworks1
02-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Check out pyroboom.com one of my advertisers . All prices to fit your budget.
http://www.pyroboom.com/products.aspx?name=firing

PyroManiacs
02-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Pyroboom has the MS32Q+ for $265. Ive been hearing its a good system and it may be the one I get also.

ilovecrackle
02-09-2017, 07:09 PM
Pyroboom has the MS32Q+ for $265. Ive been hearing its a good system and it may be the one I get also.

Yeah, iv heard nothing but good things about it as well.

Richspyroplace
02-10-2017, 02:26 AM
The MS32Q+ is $265 it looks like its pretty good. Would anyone recommend a semi pro show with one, Reliability wise? Just wondering if its worth spending the $600 for the Cobra. The way i see it if im going to spend over $250...why not just go all out and get a cobra? Ive been ton between this system and a single module cobra for the last few weeks

Berserker23
02-10-2017, 04:15 AM
I was in the same situation last year and I decided to spend the extra money on the cobra and it was a great decision I love my cobra works great you won't be disappointed.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-10-2017, 06:07 PM
The MS32Q+ is $265 it looks like its pretty good. Would anyone recommend a semi pro show with one, Reliability wise? Just wondering if its worth spending the $600 for the Cobra. The way i see it if im going to spend over $250...why not just go all out and get a cobra? Ive been ton between this system and a single module cobra for the last few weeks

I'll add my $0.02. For me it would depend on how many cues you need to fire your show.

The MS32Q+ system has 32 cues that will fire 5 talons in parallel. So you can fire 160 cakes with this system (assuming you'd want to shoot 5 at a time on every cue). You can also use a 12V external battery, and it's programmable. (The external battery option is a $32 upgrade on the Cobra)

The Cobra with one mod would give you 18 cues that will fire 4 talons in parallel. So you can fire 72 cakes with the Cobra (again assuming you wanted to fire 4 cakes on every cue).

The Cobra with 1 mod is around $650 without any boot or armored case. More than twice the cost of the MS32Q+, for less than half the capability of the MS32Q+. Obviously, the more cues you have the more versatility you have to fire various effects at different times.

Only you know how many cakes/effects you plan to shoot. Just got to run the numbers and see what makes sense for you.

My initial thought is, if you're going to spend over $250 (and that's your initial target price) then you should buy the MS32Q+. If you were looking to spend $750 or more initially on another system, I'd say the Cobra with 2 mods would be a no brainer. Honestly it's quite a leap between the two systems as far as price is concerned.

ilovecrackle
02-11-2017, 01:26 AM
Rick made an excellent post above.
Another thing to think about is do you plan on going in the direction of doing tightly scripted pyro musicals in the future?
If so, then i think the cobra would be the better choice to go with out of what has been mentioned.

The firing system I currently use is capable of computer firing but not capable to do as tightly of a script as the cobra can. A while back i ended up purchasing the cobra with the intent of doing scripted shows. Once i got into it and realized how much time consuming scripting really is, I realized it was not for me and I ended up getting rid of my cobra. Plus my current system has 32 queues per mod opposed to the cobras 18.

So if more queues for less money and no plans on doing scripted shows in the future, the sparkfire 32 as you mentioned or the MS32Q like Pyromaniac1981 mentioned above would be the way to go.
If you anticipate wanting to get into pyromusicals in the future, the cobra may be the best route to go.

BoomOhio
02-13-2017, 12:39 AM
Thanks for all your input and suggestions. Currently I can only fire a few shows a year, 4th weekend and new years. After reading all your suggestions I might be leaning towards the ms32q. just because I am still a rookie at e-firing shows, and think it would be a good starter system and a step up from my 6cue. I would eventually like to get into pyro musicals in the future, then I would buy cobra. but right now I wouldn't even know where to begin setting one up. I'm hoping to attend the kellner's display certification and safety class this year. I would like to learn more about display shooting and hope to meet some fellow pyro's.

pyromustang
02-14-2017, 12:40 AM
ms32q TEST. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhS68VSaG_0&t=39s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhS68VSaG_0&t=39s

PyroManiacs
02-14-2017, 01:09 AM
ms32q TEST. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhS68VSaG_0&t=39s

Yup, Im sold!

BoomOhio
02-16-2017, 12:02 AM
Great video! I came across that while doing my research on that system. Im sold too.

jrod
02-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Cobra!!!!thats what i would do...

Pyropug
03-11-2017, 02:40 AM
Save up extra and get a firetek or cobra. Can still get the basic firetek with blue tooth 4 slats and 4 100' cables package for less than $600. I'm a firetek user myself.

MontanaMike
03-20-2017, 07:13 PM
I've been doing a neighborhood show with a buddy for about 25 years or more. Two years ago, we went whole-hog in one go -- went from hand-firing a bunch of Phantom product standalone (no racks) to having eight mortar racks, 10 roman candle racks and a Cobra system with six modules plus audio box. Then last year we went with a wholesale purchase from wfboom for the first time and really did it right.

While I wouldn't call what we do a "pyromusical" because our timing isn't that great, we definitely busted the budget and jumped in with both feet. All the shows we've done since then have gone perfect.

That said, in the OP's situation I guess the big question, as raised above, is whether you ever wants to script shows. If so, I'd say get the Cobra with one module. True, there are only 18 cues, but you can put 4 talons on each cue and you can attach more than one item to each talon via bulk fuse, if you want. It might be possible to stay close to your $350 budget by going with some used equipment.

If you don't have future expansion plans, then I'd say go with the cheaper system (but start saving up for a Cobra because you're gonna want one anyway.)

BoomOhio
04-08-2017, 09:26 AM
Thanks again for all the suggestions. After alot of thinking and research I was going to buy the 32cue system. you get more cues for less money. But then I got info about the sale cobra was having and I decided to order 18r2 kit! It's less cues but overall seems to be a better unit. And the only system I should need for a long time. I cant wait until it arrives!

Rick_In_Tampa
04-17-2017, 08:12 PM
I decided to order 18r2 kit! It's less cues but overall seems to be a better unit. And the only system I should need for a long time. I cant wait until it arrives!

Congrats Boom!! I think you're going to be very happy with your decision.