PDA

View Full Version : Notice of Proposed Fireworks Rulemaking By CPSC Attache

displayfireworks1
02-04-2017, 10:23 PM
See attached document. I need to find time to read it. If someone has read it and wants to translate, please do so.

RalphieJ
02-05-2017, 11:09 AM
Banning fireworks devices with break charges containing metallic
powder less than 100 mesh in particle size when the break charge is produced
by more than 2 grains of pyrotechnic composition; • limiting total pyrotechnic weight
and chemical composition by firework type; • prohibiting HCB and lead tetroxide
and other lead compounds in fireworks devices; • requiring the testing of fuses for
side ignition; • requiring bases remain attached to devices during storage, handling, and
use; and • banning fireworks from expelling fragments when functioning.

RalphieJ
02-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Banning fireworks devices with break charges containing metallic
powder less than 100 mesh in particle size when the break charge is produced
by more than 2 grains of pyrotechnic composition; • limiting total pyrotechnic weight
and chemical composition by firework type; • prohibiting HCB and lead tetroxide
and other lead compounds in fireworks devices; • requiring the testing of fuses for
side ignition; • requiring bases remain attached to devices during storage, handling, and
use; and • banning fireworks from expelling fragments when functioning.

One more thing, they want to make consumer fireworks more expensive in an effort to limit availability, to curtail purchases, and to reduce consumption.

Meanwhile, approx. 1,000 deaths and nearly 500,000 injuries happen yearly to 1% of the population due to bicycle accidents. By it's own admission, the CPSC reports that bicycles are the most dangerous consumer item used in the USA.

As my Grandmother used to say........'Bastards".

JoSlicknuts
02-06-2017, 05:16 PM
Nothing to be concerned about. The orange guy is in office. Everything will be great, so great, the best.

ras1986
02-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Nothing to be concerned about. The orange guy is in office. Everything will be great, so great, the best.

Quit using this forum to express your hatred for the new president. This is a Pyro website not a place for politics so keep your opinions to yourself. Dave simply wanted someone to cliff notes the cspc ruling not to hear about how sad you are about the president. I think I have read 3 or 4 comments like these from you recently.. lol quit crying and go protest with the rest of the cry babies, your wasting time and bandwidth.

displayfireworks1
02-06-2017, 11:58 PM
Relax everyone lets focus on the CPSC attachment. I didn't get a chance to read and fully understand it. I think I see what they are driving at. Lets use an example. If I blindfolded an uninformed person and shot off a canister artillery shells and ask the question. Is what I just shot off a color effect or audible effect? You can imagine their answer.

Chris23
02-07-2017, 12:22 AM
It cracks me up that testing method is still in use. Lol there's even "decibel monitors" in the App Store!

Rick_In_Tampa
02-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Quit using this forum to express your hatred for the new president. This is a Pyro website not a place for politics so keep your opinions to yourself.

Amen to that!

Rick_In_Tampa
02-07-2017, 05:29 PM
banning fireworks from expelling fragments when functioning.

This is a great example of the type of "requirement" that keeps the lawyers in business. Fireworks by definition expel "fragments." Anything that explodes, expels fragments. So what this requirement says to me is "all fireworks should be illegal." I have no doubt that our friends in Californistan would interpret it to mean just that.

PGH_Pyro
02-08-2017, 03:44 PM
i am NOT a Trump/Pence/Sessions/Ryan/etc etc fan on most issues but yeah, it'd be nice if he did good things for fireworks if he's pro-2nd amendment...

Chris23
02-08-2017, 04:22 PM
This is a great example of the type of "requirement" that keeps the lawyers in business. Fireworks by definition expel "fragments." Anything that explodes, expels fragments. So what this requirement says to me is "all fireworks should be illegal." I have no doubt that our friends in Californistan would interpret it to mean just that.

This is where Phantom comes into play which is why I never bash them. Thankfully they've got "pull" when it comes to issues like this. Not saying its just them alone but they've got a nice reputation in helping the Pyro industry in terms of regulations.

On top of that Consumer Fireworks are approaching 1 Billion in annual sales here in the US.:D

Gues we'll just have to wait and see...

chriskrc
02-08-2017, 06:33 PM
This is where Phantom comes into play which is why I never bash them. Thankfully they've got "pull" when it comes to issues like this. Not saying its just them alone but they've got a nice reputation in helping the Pyro industry in terms of regulations.

On top of that Consumer Fireworks are approaching 1 Billion in annual sales here in the US.:D

Gues we'll just have to wait and see...

You would think a soon to be billion dollar plus industry would be something that stays around. And Phantom will probably speak up on this issue. I can't see why they wouldn't.

ras1986
02-08-2017, 09:32 PM
That's why everyone needs a 54. Cspc doesn't regulate 1.3 fireworks

Fire Art
02-10-2017, 01:24 PM
That's why everyone needs a 54. Cspc doesn't regulate 1.3 fireworks

I'm all for that!

RalphieJ
02-10-2017, 03:11 PM
You would think a soon to be billion dollar plus industry would be something that stays around. And Phantom will probably speak up on this issue. I can't see why they wouldn't.
May God bless and protect our firemen for their courageous service, but so many of them are against consumer (and even 1.3) fireworks. I know quite a few volunteer and professional firefighters, and a vast majority have been indoctrinated against fireworks. New York legalized fountains and sparkling devices and I've had discussions with operators of the tent stands. They are constantly being harassed and questioned by every Tom, Dick, and Harry with a fireman's badge, not just the mandatory inspections. Whenever there's fire with explosions the first thing they blame is improper storage of fireworks, to find out later that it was something else. By that time the damage is already done to public opinion. As in this example:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article124513064.html

They first blamed manufacture of fireworks, later to find out it was ammo instead. Jeez.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-10-2017, 05:11 PM
May God bless and protect our firemen for their courageous service, but so many of them are against consumer (and even 1.3) fireworks. I know quite a few volunteer and professional firefighters, and a vast majority have been indoctrinated against fireworks.

I don't envy the firemen or police for that matter. They have to deal with the aftermath of the percentage of fireworks enthusiasts who don't have the brains God gave naval lint. So I can see how they become jaded and develop an anti-firework mentality. Just look at the moron in Maine a few years ago who tried to launch a mortar off his head and lost his head as a result. I'd hate to have to walk up on that scene. That would be self-indoctrinating real quick.

Bigjohnson
02-10-2017, 07:16 PM
I'm a fireman and I LOVE fireworks

fatcat
02-10-2017, 09:15 PM
RalphieJ It must be the area of the country that a person is from.. i can see where firemen and policemen in the big cities would be anti fireworks just because of the population density. Seems like the ones down here in the South, especially in the smaller towns, are pro pyro

PyroManiacs
02-11-2017, 02:22 AM
I'm a fireman and I LOVE fireworks

Yea, as far as I know, every fireman that has been to our training seminars over the years, have all said the same thing.

RalphieJ
02-11-2017, 11:08 AM
RalphieJ It must be the area of the country that a person is from.. i can see where firemen and policemen in the big cities would be anti fireworks just because of the population density. Seems like the ones down here in the South, especially in the smaller towns, are pro pyro

True that, fatcat. The paid firemen I know work in Rockland Co & Westchester Co, (NY) and the five boroughs of NYC.

Bigjohnson
02-11-2017, 11:50 AM
I'm from a major city and our police certainly don't care either. It's generally not the working class people that put on shows for their family that get hurt. It's the idiots in the urban areas that by 1/4s and 1/2s on Craigslist and play hot potatoe with them

PYRODAN
02-12-2017, 06:38 PM
And let us not forget the paragons of virtue, the pro athlete. I seem to recall a "gentleman" who now goes by "stubby" that removed his fingers\ hand throwing fireworks out the window of a moving vehicle.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-13-2017, 11:03 AM
And let us not forget the paragons of virtue, the pro athlete. I seem to recall a "gentleman" who now goes by "stubby" that removed his fingers\ hand throwing fireworks out the window of a moving vehicle.

Exactly. All the money in the world won't buy you brains and good sense.