PDA

View Full Version : Time to renew my atf license

Melp
02-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Hey Dave thanks to you its almost been 3 years and time to renew my license. I actually got a surprise visit from the ATF to check my accounting on my magazine and a general interview.
One of the things that I remember from the discussion forum was that if you had a 54 license you could not do jobs for profit. I brought this up to the officer in my interview and she told me that was absolutely wrong. Just to make sure I was telling her right I gave her an example : I have a lake association that wants me to do a shoot for them on the 4th my product cost 500 and I charge them 1000 so I profit 500 She said that was perfectly legal to do.
She actually called me 2 days later to tell me she checked again with her supervisor to make sure she was not telling me anything wrong. According to her supervisor she was correct, so have I just been misunderstanding this for the last 3 years?

PyroJoeNEPA
02-01-2017, 07:50 PM
The issue is NOT with the ATF==but the DOT [Dept of Commerce]--if you are making a profit you are "in commerce" and must be placarded & follow all the other "stuff" associated with it.--short simple answer. Someone else may want to jump in with more detail.

Melp
02-01-2017, 08:33 PM
So if my trailer has the placards I would be legal?

PyroJoeNEPA
02-01-2017, 08:36 PM
So if my trailer has the placards I would be legal?
You have to check the DOT regs--you can't just put placards on & go---CDL & Hazmat required, log books, etc.

displayfireworks1
02-01-2017, 08:44 PM
I just talked about some of this in one of my unlisted videos on the forums. With so many enthusiast becoming ATF licensed, I should address this in more detail. For now let me say , we as hobbyist with a Type 54 and you with a 54 and your own magazine can get in business and sell shows. In this instance, this is $500.00 you do not want to make. There is no shortage of locations in United States that want a July 4th fireworks display for $1000.00. Most fireworks companies charge more money for a July 4th display shot on July 4th. I know this sounds tempting but there is more too it than you know. I am curious have you ever worked for a display company and/or do you have a CDL license with Hazmat endorsement?

Fire Art
02-02-2017, 11:24 AM
You have to check the DOT regs--you can't just put placards on & go---CDL & Hazmat required, log books, etc.

There is a lot more to it. Your vehicle and trailer need to be DOT inspected. You need a CDL w/ Hazmat. You need to comply with all aspects of DOT regs while transporting including having proper fire extinguishers, safety triangles, pre- and post trip inspections, Medical card, log books and the kicker... $5 million on the road insurance to transport. Additionally there are other state level requirements depending on state. Michigan used to be part of a cooperative of 4 states that required an additional permit for HazMat transport, I believe they recently exited the alliance.

Melp
02-02-2017, 07:20 PM
I usually shoot most of the major holidays with a display company. I remember when I was reading all the posts here on the forum the general opinion was if you had the 54 license you couldn't shoot for profit. I do not have a cdl with a hazmat endorsement but it would be something to look into. The display company I shoot for will actually pay for the endorsement because they are always looking for drivers. Not a very common thing to have.