PDA

View Full Version : Should I get in the display fireworks business?

displayfireworks1
01-28-2017, 08:48 PM
One of my unlisted videos for discussion on the pyrotalk forums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAZ8dNndLSM

RalphieJ
01-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Dave. Your point on selling 1.3 instead of starting your own company is well taken. It reminds me of a phrase coined during the 1849 Gold Rush: "When everyone else is digging for gold, sell shovels and pick-axes."

ras1986
01-31-2017, 11:22 PM
I have been thinking about this for a couple years... we don't have any lynchimports or firearts or anything like that down here in the south. I think the closest place is casabella in Tennessee... a couple more licenses and about 500,000 is all I need.... lol the property is the easiest part.

Richspyroplace
02-01-2017, 03:24 AM
Dave. How does the insurance for display and consumer fireworks shows work. What are some of the companies that provide this insurance.
Thanks, Rich

Fire Art
02-01-2017, 04:21 PM
I have been thinking about this for a couple years... we don't have any lynchimports or firearts or anything like that down here in the south. I think the closest place is casabella in Tennessee... a couple more licenses and about 500,000 is all I need.... lol the property is the easiest part.

Not a bad thought. Should probably explore the notion of a limited partnership with an existing company, leveraging their experience and the shared economies of scale the partnership would yield like insurance, logistics, and purchasing power.

Other than that starting off reminds me of the old joke:
Question: Whats the easiest way to make a million dollars in the display fireworks business?
Answer: Spend two million dollars.

displayfireworks1
02-01-2017, 05:16 PM
I have at least one insurance sponsor on my Sponsor Page you are free to call them. But then again don't waste their time for a curiosity factor. I know someone that insured a consumer fireworks only display for $600.00 for a single display non-profit. It had restrictions of only using fireworks purchased from XXXXX. He called me in shock and ask me what I thought. I told him that sounds about right. He had to include his resume' of pyro experience and a few other things. So, use your imagination for a 1.3 display
http://www.pyrotalk.com/sponsors.php

RalphieJ
02-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Dave. How does the insurance for display and consumer fireworks shows work. What are some of the companies that provide this insurance.
Thanks, Rich

The last time that I discussed insurance with the president of the 1.3 company that I know, he told me that insurance for shows was 25% of the INVOICE PRICE of the show. In other words, a $5,000 charge for a show would cost you $1,250 for insurance. The insurance co. audits your invoices to verify what you have charged. And that rate was affected by the number (or lack of) incidents that may have occurred. That was a number of years ago, I don't know if that holds true today. It ain't cheap.

laquil
02-01-2017, 07:51 PM
I will help you if you are looking for a partner

laquil
02-01-2017, 07:54 PM
We can do something like this Dave no big deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DC1xVP8RU8g

laquil
02-01-2017, 08:20 PM
My dream is to come to USA and start to make Big displays like we do in Malta Especially the ground fireworks
but I need a guide to show where to Go and where to start the rest I take care of it looking for a good partner if some one interested just let me know

displayfireworks1
02-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Laquil nice to hear from you, here in United States we just do not see the type of fireworks you use in Malta. There are times I am surprised no one has imported these multi-break shells from Malta into United States. I know of at least one professional company imported a a ground based mechanical device from Malta but never really used in a display that I heard of. That is a great video to show some of the talent that Malta has.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-01-2017, 09:44 PM
I contacted an insurance company in Nebraska regarding insurance for my show this year. I was hoping to get my HOA to "sponsor" the show so I could maybe kick it up a notch, and be insured at the same time.

Before I gave them any of the details of what I was shooting (including quantity and class) they told me the minimum cost would be $1500 + $300 in misc. fees for a total of $1800 for a single show.

So the prices I'm seeing that you folks are being quoted seem really good!

ras1986
02-01-2017, 10:14 PM
I would partner with fireart.... lol yall are the epitome of what 1.3 wholesale should be. Videos, shipping, good price structuring and good customer service. I wanna get my 4th show from yall but I called and there isn't a truck coming to me this year.....

Fire Art
02-02-2017, 11:16 AM
I would partner with fireart.... lol yall are the epitome of what 1.3 wholesale should be. Videos, shipping, good price structuring and good customer service. I wanna get my 4th show from yall but I called and there isn't a truck coming to me this year.....

I have to convince the boss that we need satellite offices in Texas and Florida.

RalphieJ
02-02-2017, 12:57 PM
Laquil nice to hear from you, here in United States we just do not see the type of fireworks you use in Malta. There are times I am surprised no one has imported these multi-break shells from Malta into United States. I know of at least one professional company imported a a ground based mechanical device from Malta but never really used in a display that I heard of. That is a great video to show some of the talent that Malta has.
Dave, my long time friend told me that Malta does not export any of it's fireworks, that they're not for sale. The companies are subsidized by donations and the government to bolster the tourist trade. He said that workers are basically volunteers (although a few may receive some form of compensation). They are very willing to share all of their processes (no secrets) with anyone in the industry if you're willing to visit and set up a tour. He also told me that they make everything from scratch, all casings, tubes, fusing, and that they use no time fuses, every shell is ignited with spoolettes or blackmatch, including all inserts, right down to the small maroons. So we have little chance of seeing here any of those amazingly timed beraq multibreak shells, unless someone is willing to take the outrageous amount of time to build them.

Bazerk
02-02-2017, 12:58 PM
I have to convince the boss that we need satellite offices in Texas and Florida.

Im on board for Florida. Keep me in mind if he decides to explore the idea.

Rick_In_Tampa
02-02-2017, 05:17 PM

That would be awesome!! I'd love to be part of that operation.

ras1986
02-02-2017, 09:52 PM

Yes. Yes you do.