PDA

View Full Version : Typical cost and number of shells in a small-medium size display

Blackdevil77
07-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Today for the hell of it i went on Kellners site and put together an assortment of 3, 4, 5, and 6 inch shells that I figured would make a good show. The total number of shells on the list was 1972 shells, including the finale, costing $10,266.46. Is that a lot of shells for a medium size display? Would that last 25-30 minutes? I'm not very familiar with setting up shows but was just toying around on the computer in my boredom. How many shells are typically in a finale? How many salutes do you think are needed to last about 20-30 seconds or so? For each string of 10, kellners says 3-4 seconds.

It looks like the cost of mortar racks is the killer, but at least you only need to buy those once. The total number of tubes in the racks I counted of 3, 4, 5 and 6 inch tubes is 1,450 tubes. That would cost $20,500 bucks. Basically double the cost of the shells. Is this a ridiculous amount of shells and tubes, or is that the norm? I'm just ballpark guessing here.

jknepp1954
07-25-2011, 09:40 PM
First of all, there would be a great variance of cost as to the vendor(s) you choose to purchase your 1.3 product from. And since you have not yet done a 1.3 show, there is the cost of buying your equipment as well. If you can find good used racks/mortar tubes and firing system - that would be the way to go. But if not - research it out thoroughly as to the vendors of those products as well.
With some research and smart shopping you can save anywhere from 25% to 40% of these costs.
If you was to buy your new racks/mortars instead of making them up yourself (cheaper in the long range), get yourself a box truck or Uhaul type trailer to pull behind your truck and make your own pick up. with the weight of these things - I would think it would be less expensive to drive and get rather than order and have shipped to you. But i could be wrong - check that out too.
There are 3 companies that i know of who makes/sells new racks/mortars in PA, one of which is a paid advertiser on this site.

J's12talk
07-25-2011, 09:46 PM
You could have a killer show with half that many shells.

Blackdevil77
07-25-2011, 10:15 PM
First of all, there would be a great variance of cost as to the vendor(s) you choose to purchase your 1.3 product from. And since you have not yet done a 1.3 show, there is the cost of buying your equipment as well. If you can find good used racks/mortar tubes and firing system - that would be the way to go. But if not - research it out thoroughly as to the vendors of those products as well.
With some research and smart shopping you can save anywhere from 25% to 40% of these costs.
If you was to buy your new racks/mortars instead of making them up yourself (cheaper in the long range), get yourself a box truck or Uhaul type trailer to pull behind your truck and make your own pick up. with the weight of these things - I would think it would be less expensive to drive and get rather than order and have shipped to you. But i could be wrong - check that out too.
There are 3 companies that i know of who makes/sells new racks/mortars in PA, one of which is a paid advertiser on this site.

I'm not very familiar with that many vendors yet, but am looking forward to learning of them. As for the equipment cost, I've noticed how expensive it all is. Cost way more then the shells themselves. At least thats the stuff you only have to buy once really. The Cobra firing system looks perfect, just the cost of all the modules seems daunting. A lot of the equipment I'm sure will build over time. Thats a lot of money to spend all at once.

Luckily for me, pyro imports in farmingdale is within 25 minutes from me! Unfortunately I can't look at his products or prices yet because they require you to register with them to do that, and to register, you need your ATF license which I am in the process of getting. I'm more or less, counting my chickens before they hatch, so to speak.

Luckily for me, I have my class B CDL license already. I plan on getting my hazmat endorsement, so I would be able to transport the fireworks myself.

Pyro Nation
07-25-2011, 10:18 PM
If you are not doing a show for profit... You dont need the hazmat endorsement...

Blackdevil77
07-25-2011, 10:39 PM
If you are not doing a show for profit... You dont need the hazmat endorsement...

Thats good to know, that's for all states?

Pyro Nation
07-25-2011, 10:54 PM
Well, I know that is what I was told by the ATF and many others as well. So, I dont want to assume anything and give ya a incorrect answer. I know for much of the east coast that is true

Frankiefireworks19
07-26-2011, 02:20 AM
I went to the "big show" in the county where I live. To me it was a more than acceptable show. Now I brought a friend who doesn't know anything about pyrotechnics. He asked me before the show to try and calculate how much the show would cost. So the best way I thought to do this was to count every shell. I counted 700 shells for the show and 200 shells for the finale. So that's 900 shells for a very nice show that thousands of people thoroughly enjoyed. As for how large the shells were I'm not exactly sure but I read in the paper that the show costed $13,000.

mici59
07-26-2011, 10:09 AM

I find that hard to believe. Being a hazmat driver and everytime ive been stopped they always check my license for my Hazmat endoresement. They never once ask if im driving to a show that im doing for a profit or not.

indianahx
07-26-2011, 10:41 AM
The orange book says that if you are in commerce, then vehicle must be placarded......correct???

mici59
07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
If youre carrying 1.3 of any kind, you have to be placarded. 1.4 over 1,000 lb, placarded