PDA

View Full Version : Any good smoke formulas?

Bgreen
01-26-2017, 09:29 PM
I was wondering if you guys knew any good smoke mix formulas? I've been in to pyro for a long time haven't made much in about 8years or so the mixes I remeber using kno3 and suger and with kclo4 and suger can't remeber part per weight for those but I was curious if you guys knew any diffrent ones from what I remeber those didn't work to well in less you heated them up and mixed?

displayfireworks1
01-26-2017, 11:07 PM
I'm sure PyroJoe or someone else will come along soon and post a formula for you. Just out of curiosity is your Potassium Nitrate free flowing or chunking together?

PyroJoeNEPA
01-27-2017, 08:31 PM
For plain white smoke use 5 parts KNO3, 4 parts Sugar, 1 part Baking Soda.'If you use regular table sugar & grind it in a coffee mill to a fine powder it will work better than the 10X "confectioners sugar" which has some anti caking agents in it adding impurities to the mix. Mit it wek=ll & heat ofer a low heat in a non stick frying pan for a few minutes--does not need to be melted completely. Loose pack in a tube with an open end & light with a piece of visco.
If you want black you will need to find moth balls made from Napthalene--most of the "china" ones sold now are a different chemical. If you want that formula let me know. The old Fels-Naptha soap was napthalene.

displayfireworks1
01-27-2017, 10:24 PM
Thanks PyroJoe, they use to recommend not to use flame heat for these project but rather electric range type burner. Now I see how they make that black smoke. Years back I found flake moth balls in a box. Well I guess they would not be balls any longer. LOL I used it for some flame project but can't remember how I did it.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Thanks PyroJoe, they use to recommend not to use flame heat for these project but rather electric range type burner. Now I see how they make that black smoke. Years back I found flake moth balls in a box. Well I guess they would not be balls any longer. LOL I used it for some flame project but can't remember how I did it.

Napthalene & Potassium Chlorate is the basis for your basic black smoke with a little dextrinddede --sprayed lightly with water to form a heavy putty like consistency--pack in a tube & poke a hole in compound for visco--let air dry a couple days & add the visco. Makes a really thick black smoke.
Another formulation for back smoke uses a chemical called Anthrazene--which is extremely difficult to get here in the states...it is what they use for the Black Smoke at the Vatican when they vote on a new pope--formula has the nickname "Pope Smoke". LOL....

displayfireworks1
01-28-2017, 07:30 PM
PyroJoe you a wealth of pyro information. Back in 2013 when they were picking new Pope, I always thought that would have made a great name for a consumer fireworks smoke item. "Pope Smoke" LOL I wonder what they burned to make the white smoke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHtnkJOThcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc78mF1hnvw
Burning anthracene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq_O_oyXuh0

Bgreen
01-29-2017, 12:48 AM
Thank you for giving me some formulas. I am curious why would you add baking soda to the mix I've never been told that or seen that to my knowledge? What benefits does it offer? And also that formula that uses chlorate can that be subbed with perchlorate?

PyroJoeNEPA
01-29-2017, 05:22 PM
The baking soda slows down the burn rate of the mixture.
I have another formula that uses 4 parts Potassium Nitrate [finely milled powder] to 3 parts sugar. It works OK but not as well as the one with the baking soda.

Most formulas that use Chlorate can be redone with Perchlorate--it is much safer to work with---it will add a higher chlorine level to the formula but I don't think it will change the performance overall--I am making a supposition here--try a small mix & see what it does if you have the Napthalene..

chris v
01-29-2017, 08:19 PM
They have some some comps that use the kno3 sugar and baking soda with colored wax as in crayola to color the smoke the formula is kno3 sug baking 60:40:10 plus enough melted wax to coat mix

drtoivowillmann
01-30-2017, 05:49 AM
Dear Bgreen:

Coloured smokes are easy to make, but the choice of your oxidants is wrong; neither Nitrate nor Perchlorate, but have to use the "beast": Potassium Chlorate, about 25 % to 30 % of total. Best fuel is genarally Milk Sugar (Lactose).
Chlorate/Lactose = 25 %:25% (equal parts). Add about 25 % (of total) of an organic oil soluble dye (Oil Orange, Oil Yellow, Oil Blue etc.) and about 25 % of some inorganic carbonate stuff, to cool the organic dye. Otherwise dye would burst into flames and no coloured smoke would be produced.

Yours truly: Toivo

Bgreen
01-30-2017, 10:00 PM
The baking soda slows down the burn rate of the mixture.
I have another formula that uses 4 parts Potassium Nitrate [finely milled powder] to 3 parts sugar. It works OK but not as well as the one with the baking soda.

Most formulas that use Chlorate can be redone with Perchlorate--it is much safer to work with---it will add a higher chlorine level to the formula but I don't think it will change the performance overall--I am making a supposition here--try a small mix & see what it does if you have the Napthalene..

Okay that's kinda what I was thinking. I have used perchlorate a ton and am familiar to it. Chlorate on the other hand I try and stay away from it nock on wood I've never had any problems but I've just read to many stories about it to want to be playing around with it. And with these formulas after milling them mix them or do you have to apply heat?

chris v
01-30-2017, 10:55 PM
Only if you use the crayola wax or granulated sugar