PDA

View Full Version : Covering mortar tubes

genereyn
01-09-2017, 02:52 PM
In the past I've used aluminum foil over the top of 1.4 mortar tubes to prevent cross-fire. It works but is messy and difficult to attach. I've read others who recommend strips of masking tape or aluminum foil tape for the same purpose. That would be a lot easier and neater but will mortar shells (ExCals, Quest, etc.) blow right through various tapes without the tape material and adhesive affecting the shell performance?

Bazerk
01-09-2017, 02:55 PM
In the past I've used aluminum foil over the top of 1.4 mortar tubes to prevent cross-fire. It works but is messy and difficult to attach. I've read others who recommend strips of masking tape or aluminum foil tape for the same purpose. That would be a lot easier and neater but will mortar shells (ExCals, Quest, etc.) blow right through various tapes without the tape material and adhesive affecting the shell performance?

What type of fuse are you using to chain them with? If its any of the coated fuses, crossfire probably isnt that likely to happen. If your using the paper quick fuse I can understand, but sparks have a hard time making it through visco fuse.

genereyn
01-09-2017, 03:04 PM
Chain fuse is Visco or Perfect Fuse. I agree with falling sparks, but my concern is with multiple racks arranged in parallel such that a 5 tube rack is immediately adjacent to another 5 tube rack, etc. I would think the lift fire from rack 1 tubes could come into contact with the rack 2 fuses or chain fuse.

Bazerk
01-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Chain fuse is Visco or Perfect Fuse. I agree with falling sparks, but my concern is with multiple racks arranged in parallel such that a 5 tube rack is immediately adjacent to another 5 tube rack, etc. I would think the lift fire from rack 1 tubes could come into contact with the rack 2 fuses or chain fuse.

I used to fuse mine together just like your doing and I havent experienced that issue. The only time I see that happening is if the end of the fuse is exposed because then the powder inside is then exposed. The flames themselves pretty much stay in the same circumference as the tube its coming out of. Im not saying its impossible to happen, but in my experience, very unlikely.

primetime347
01-09-2017, 03:56 PM
Genereyn. Here is a picture of my 50 shot angle rack that I shot off just this New Years. It was covered with aluminum foil tape. This was my first time with it and it worked great. Also during cleanup I noticed that the tape mainly stayed together in 1-2 large pieces for each row. So the cleanup for that was extremely pleasing vice using aluminum foil. Also, no issue at all to shoot through the tape. The only tape that I could see posing a problem would possibly be duct tape or that packing tape with strips of thread inside of it, but even with that, the explosiveness of shells is that they would probably blow right through duct tape with out any issue.

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1809&stc=1

primetime347
01-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Also to add, I have tried to use aluminum foil before for the 50 shot rack, and it failed horribly to stop cross firing all rows at once when using any type of fuse to chain everything together. I would recommend aluminum foil tape to prevent cross firing. It is a little expensive per roll, but I think worth it.

Rick_In_Tampa
01-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Genereyn. Here is a picture of my 50 shot angle rack that I shot off just this New Years. It was covered with aluminum foil tape.1809

I was going to ask you about that too... Is this tape just some off the shelf Home Depot or Lowes type tape? Like what they use for A/C ductwork?

That is a VERY pretty rack by the way!!

primetime347
01-09-2017, 08:36 PM
I was going to ask you about that too... Is this tape just some off the shelf Home Depot or Lowes type tape? Like what they use for A/C ductwork?

That is a VERY pretty rack by the way!!

Yep you are correct. Its just 3M cold weather aluminum tape that is for HVAC work that I got at Lowes.

That angled rack was crazy hard to build. I will never do one again. I am no wood builder or anything, but building the angles and cutting the wood just right was a pain. I will never make another angle rack again. LOL I have built 200 tubes of straight shot racks, either 10 shot or 20 shot which was fast and easy to build.

ilovecrackle
01-10-2017, 02:19 AM

Cover away. Those shells will blow through the masking tape like its not even there. Even your basic generic festival balls will go through it like its not even there.

I normally don't cover the tops of the tubes but I always cover the leader fuse and a little of the shells fuse up toward the top of the tube with masking or duct tape. Basically on my racks, i cover all fuse up to about a half inch into the tubes with masking tape. I'v never experienced it personally but i have seen a low break set peoples entire racks off.
But i have ran a strip of masking and duct tape across the top of the tubes before (usually when i anticipate any possible rain) and the shells don't even know its there. :D

PGH_Pyro
01-12-2017, 05:06 PM
aluminum foil is overkill and just makes an annoying mess with confetti everywhere, afterward. yes, shells will go through masking tape and that's all you need to do if youre trying to have a visual proof of shells having lifted out or not ... cross fire is not usually a problem . i see guys get way too anal retentive and o.c. about it.