PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Prolong My Wooden Plugs?!!!

Firework Crazy
01-07-2017, 01:13 AM
It's a type of cement right? Don't want them rotting out. Appreciate the help y'all
P.S. They are lodged in the guns already

PyroJoeNEPA
01-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Since you posted this in the "Display Fireworks" section I assume you are asking about guns larger than the 1.75" consumer size? Either way, it doesn't matter. You don't have to worry about the plugs--they are good for many, many years of use if maintained properly. Best suggestion is don't let any water sit in the tubes for any period of time...if the tubes do get wet, turn them over & empty them out--and then let them air dry. We had a rack of 4" in a pod that the plastic pulled on the end of the pod & let the rain get in them--it was a torrential downpour for a couple hours--finally stopped raining before the show was scheduled to shoot. There was 4 or 5 inches of water in each of the guns--tipped the rack over, dumped the soaked shells out and let the guns dry out before the next show. No damage, plugs were still firmly seated & sealed.
Hope this helps.

displayfireworks1
01-07-2017, 07:55 PM
I agree water is the main issue with the wooden plugs. If you ever have to delay tearing down a fireworks display, at least drop the rack sideways. In the event of rain it will not enter the top of the mortar. Looking back over the year I shot out of 4 inch mortars in a professional application and could see daylight around the bottom plug because the mortars were not cared for properly. Surprisingly the shells all still lifted just fine. HDPE pipe and wooden plugs will last a good long time, even with abuse. Remember it is not a piece of furniture, get it out there and get it dirty and used.

jamisonlm3
01-07-2017, 09:45 PM
I'm glade to hear wooden plugs will last years if properly taken care of. If water is the main enemy of wood plugs, why not use treated wood. If you used marine grade treated wooden plugs, I bet you'd never have to worry about any kind of rot. We regularly use CCA treated 3x12's at work. I bet they would make great plugs if you've got the time to cut them out of the boards. I've also wondered about using different plug materials like various cements, liquid urethanes and even fiberglass resins. The biggest problem in my mind is getting a good fit for the plug. Being able to pour your plug material in would negate that. I think these would be safer than useing treated wood as well.

PyroJoeNEPA
01-08-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm glade to hear wooden plugs will last years if properly taken care of. If water is the main enemy of wood plugs, why not use treated wood.
I believe the OP was referring to plugs already in tubes bought from a supplier--not constructing his own mortars.

I've also wondered about using different plug materials like various cements, liquid urethanes and even fiberglass resins.
1.3g fiberglass tubes have a molded bottom to them & don't require an additional plug.
the 1.4g tubes sold with 1.75" shell kits have plugs made either of poured fuberglass resin, clay or cement. Some also have a combination of the clay/cement plug plus a 1/2" or so of composite wood from the bases they are epoxied to.

We regularly use CCA treated 3x12's at work. I bet they would make great plugs if you've got the time to cut them out of the boards....The biggest problem in my mind is getting a good fit for the plug.
the plugs [or "bungs" ] as they are called for HDPE tubes need to be slightly champfered to get them to fit in the gun...then hammered in or pressed with a hydraulic press...then fasteners thru the tubes into the wood to hold them in place.

Being able to pour your plug material in would negate that.
Pouring a plug would work in a very small gun if there were something going thru the wall of the tube into the plug material to anchor it. There is a huge amount of pressure developed in the bottom of even the smallest calibre mortars.
Referring to the 1.75" fiberglass mortars from shell kits---I have had dozens of them that I knocked the bottom particle board base off with a hammer--cleaned off the edges with an angle grinder to smooth them out--and filled the uneven void from the particle board with liquid cement patch that comes in a plastic tub from Home Depot...they still had the original cement plug in them--but had to have the bottoms "dressed" to finish them off flush. They hold up well.

Firework Crazy
01-08-2017, 02:30 PM
I believe the OP was referring to plugs already in tubes bought from a supplier--not constructing his own mortars.
Affirmative. Thanks you all for your responses. I just purchased 10 3",4", & 6". First of Many��.
Shout Out To Dave for help with the legalization to obtain the good stuff. Also, hopefully I don't brake the rule by giving the company a shout out as well. Platte River Mortar Tubes, LLC in Wisconsin. Guys, they did a great job with these HDPE's. 1.) Solid Plugs. 2.) The 3"-one screw every 90degrees. $3.50; 4"-2 screws,same. $6.50; and 6"-3 screws,same $18.50.) they even smoothed out the edges. Again thanks and God bless.

Firework Crazy
01-08-2017, 05:40 PM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1808&stc=1

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1807&stc=1

PyroJoeNEPA
01-08-2017, 08:23 PM
The tubes look great Firework Crazy. Now what you need to do is send them an email telling them how nice the tubes are and that they should consider advertising on this site!

Firework Crazy
01-09-2017, 01:17 PM
That's not a bad idea! Good thinken!

Firework Crazy
01-10-2017, 05:39 PM
So Russ told me by the end of this week. I'll know his decision��