PDA

View Full Version : Still looking for fireworks chemicals.

displayfireworks1
12-01-2016, 06:54 PM
Here is a comment from my youtube channel. I keep looking to add fireworks chemicals vendors to my website and youtube videos. If you are out there and sell fireworks chemicals and you are looking for new enthuist send me an email. Don't keep trying to sell chemicals and tools to those same old guys in that big tent at the end of property. There is an entire emerging group of new enthusiast, they are looking for knowledge and supplies.
From my email
Hello Dave

Your videos are awesome and your skill is amazing. you have inspired me to know more about pyrotechnics. can you tell me the best way to get started in learning how to assemble fireworks. Can you point me in the right direction to locate the ingredients and necessary components?

Thank you

XXXX XXXX

clr8ter
12-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Actually, what you want to tell that guy is to go sign up on Fireworking...

displayfireworks1
12-02-2016, 03:54 PM
I know nothing about that site other than Ned runs it. He is great guy , the question is how are the rest of the people on that site? I can't recommend anything until I can confirm a totally new person wanting to get into this will be accepted before I refer them. The other thing I do not know if you really need to belong to any club or organization if you want to make fireworks. There is enough information out there you can do it on your own if you have the supplies. I helped more than one person dispose of their fireworks chemicals once they get ATF licensed. Once licensed, most realize it is easier just to purchase commercially made fireworks. Making fireworks is more work than most people realize. But if someone wants to try, good for them. I know we have a few fireworks makers on the pyrotalk forums that are very helpful. I wish I could get more to sign on. I would also like to get more special effects and stage pyro workers on the forums

clr8ter
12-02-2016, 05:49 PM
Ned runs a clean site. You have to pay, but it's only 40 a year, or 200 for life, I believe. The paying part keeps it professional. The people there hand out top notch info, and newbies are welcomed. Not at least referring new people there is a huge disservice. While you can figure things out on your own, you're much likely to do something dumb, wasteful, or dangerous. Being a member of a club or Fireworking is a HUGE help. Simply telling someone where to get Greman Dark and perc is not.

Big Mark
12-02-2016, 09:59 PM
I will second that on the Fireworking.com It will open your eye's and mind to a hole new world. When ever I have a question abut something I go there first. Great group of guy's and gals just like this site.

displayfireworks1
12-02-2016, 10:07 PM
I think I said this before, I have a low opinion of so called fireworks clubs that are currently out there. If you say the fireworking site treats new members well, I believe you. The upside of any fireworks club is at least it gives you a place to legally shoot.

clr8ter
12-02-2016, 10:11 PM
What can possibly be wrong with fireworks clubs?

PyroJoeNEPA
12-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Ned's site is top notch. I've been a member for several years and my only regret is that I didn't join when I first heard about it. The people on there are very polite, knowledgeable, and willing to help anyone with the simplest --or the most complex--question. "Newbies" are not looked down on [people don't tell you to "use the search feature"] like was common on another now defunct site that would not discuss anything manufacturing related unless you were part of the "secret inner circle".
Beginners are encouraged to develop their skills and it is not uncommon for an "old timer" to share a "what went wrong with this" video showing us all that everyone can have those "bad days".
When you have people with the knowledge levels found there you will be guided in a safe and productive hobby development. I have absolutely no reservations in recommending his site to people wanting to develop their building skills, and I have sent several people there to join.
Building isn't for everyone--but for those that are looking to start it is very important that they have some form of mentoring. There is way too much bad information floating around on the internet and it only takes one mistake---------.
We-in the Pyro Community- need to stick together and help each other as best we can.

clr8ter
12-03-2016, 12:11 PM
Agreed, +1

deepdixie1979
12-03-2016, 06:49 PM
I'm a member of Ned's site, Fireworking.com, as well. It's geared more to the hobbyist manufacturer, although there are many on the site who purchase commercial 1.3 product and put on shows for a business as well as just for fun. I have found that the $40 a year admission fee is money well spent. I have learned a good bit from other members there who are far more advanced in the craft than I am. The safety aspects of pyrotechny are not to be taken lightly, and the many professionals on the site have thoroughly answered my every question regarding safety issues and best practices when it comes to turning raw materials into a pyrotechnic device.

ilovecrackle
12-04-2016, 03:45 AM
While you can figure things out on your own, you're much likely to do something dumb, wasteful, or dangerous. Being a member of a club or Fireworking is a HUGE help. Simply telling someone where to get Greman Dark and perc is not.

I couldn't agree with you more on this. I'm not into building but if I was, I would definitely be a member of fireworking.com (I'v heard nothing but good things about it) and seek the advice and mentoring of some of the experienced builders at the clubs I belong to.
Like PyroJoe mentioned above, it only takes one mistake and in our hobby, one mistake especially in building/manufacturing can be costly.

clr8ter
12-04-2016, 08:34 AM
I'm still waiting to hear why fireworks clubs are bad...

displayfireworks1
12-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Are you an officer in that fireworks club you belong to?

clr8ter
12-05-2016, 07:13 AM
No. Just a member. Why?

displayfireworks1
12-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Then go wait in the car until your boss comes.

clr8ter
12-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Then go wait in the car until your boss comes.

LOL, and that's why people call you a douchebag.

JoSlicknuts
12-05-2016, 12:13 PM
After a year of checking out the various forums, I have discovered that many fireworks enthusiasts think their shit don't stink. Pretty pathetic. They act like 99% of the fireworks in this country are not lit with a lighter in one hand and a beer in the other. They also seem to be a bunch of paranoid nutjobs. The CSPC report shows that 30-50% of the products tested every year are overloaded. IF they were as concerned as many of you think, they would crack down. They know they are getting in. Now go buy some overloads and shoot them.

ilovecrackle
12-05-2016, 01:17 PM
I have discovered that many fireworks enthusiasts think their shit don't stink.=

I can most assure you good sir, my shit most definitely does stink! Just ask my wife! LOL
Now where is that poop emoji at??!! :p :D

clr8ter
12-05-2016, 07:33 PM
LOL, mine does, too, also says my wife!

More to the point, If overloads are not supposed to be here, why advertise them? Just shoot them, and enjoy. If you're going out of your way to explain it, film it, and show the box, you're an idiot. You've just given them all the need in case they ever DO want to crack down.

rocky99
01-11-2017, 11:08 AM
I've been a member of Ned's site since its inception, and cannot speak highly enough about it for ANYONE that is interested in manufacturing fireworks....whether experienced or just starting out. Its members are a diverse group of people ranging from professional pyrotechnicians to people just getting bitten by the bug. They are more than willing to share their knowledge with you, and especially for the newbies, aim you in the right direction before you kill yourself or end up in jail. The library of formulas is easily worth the asking price of a year's subscription in itself. Topics range from rockets to today"s political problems and can get quite heated at times. Rather than waste your money on a book or DVD, this should be the starting place for anyone getting into manufacturing. I only wish it was available way back when I first got interested in pyrotechnics.

Crab107
01-14-2017, 03:25 PM
I agree..Neds site i wonderful. In addition to this site its helped me have a good growth spurt. These guys are safe and very helpful. A member there actually took me under his wing and i meet with him weekly to learn. Since then i have made my own balck powder for burst, lift and priming, ive made 3 different types of stars and black match..all with id say a 95% success rate..lol. a couple low breaks and one no break at all.

rocky99
01-16-2017, 10:02 AM
I agree..Neds site i wonderful. In addition to this site its helped me have a good growth spurt. These guys are safe and very helpful. A member there actually took me under his wing and i meet with him weekly to learn. Since then i have made my own balck powder for burst, lift and priming, ive made 3 different types of stars and black match..all with id say a 95% success rate..lol. a couple low breaks and one no break at all.

Practice, practice, practice. Why "no break at all"? Develop basic shell building skills where you can get a shell into the air the proper altitude and burst and have your stars light and not hit the ground. Then the fun begins. Go slowly, ask questions, and be careful. Sounds like you're on the right track.

Phoenix
03-03-2017, 02:56 PM
I think I said this before, I have a low opinion of so called fireworks clubs that are currently out there. If you say the fireworking site treats new members well, I believe you. The upside of any fireworks club is at least it gives you a place to legally shoot.

Dave,

We haven't seen you at an IPA shoot yet, we have one in April (the first I think) in Vinton Iowa, I think we would change your mind on the mentality of clubs. There are a couple others around me that have GREAT people in the clubs but the focus is either on being inclusive or on doing shows. The IPA is very open and accommodating PLUS as you say, you can shoot homemade stuff there as well.

PGI is getting a bad rap right now due to overloads etc but I have seen you there and you even interviewed me and you seemed to be having a great time too.

I second Fireworking.com for learning once you have some experience but I still think Skylighter is the gateway to pyro with Ned Gorsji's old articles and such still on the site for anybody to grab.

displayfireworks1
03-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Phoenix thanks for your comment, please I need a fireworks club out there somewhere to change my opinion.

Phoenix
03-04-2017, 01:14 AM
Well, we would love to have you. We do seminars, a FANTASTIC pot luck meal and a nice big bonfire while watching member made fireworks.

Captaindlapnuts
03-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Phoenix thanks for your comment, please I need a fireworks club out there somewhere to change my opinion.

From all I've read, that doesn't sound likely to happen.