PDA

View Full Version : Mold....

ras1986
11-19-2016, 09:06 PM
I made a couple pounds of willow stars a month or so ago... I looked at the today and they were covered in white mold... each star was perfectly covered with mold. I don't get it. They screen dried for 24 hrs and worked flawlessly as they should have. They were stored in a new ziploc plastic container in a shed outside.... what did I do wrong?

clr8ter
11-20-2016, 08:36 AM
24 hours dry time doesn't sound like enough.

PyroJoeNEPA
11-20-2016, 02:49 PM
Even properly dried stars can "grow mold"--I had a friend with some leaking issues with his mag & a large quantity of stars [several years old] had a covering of mold on them--I asked one of my pyro guru's that lives in Fla about it--he said it is common for stars down there to show mold from the humidity.
I brushed them off and gave them all a very light coating of monacopa prime & they were fine.
Like clr8tr said above--24 hrs isn't a long time for a willow comp to dry--if you put them in the air tight container it would have drawn out moisture from them. Just let them air dry for a couple more days--brush them off with a paint brush--wear a respirator...You will most likely notice they will be harder also. Break one now & see if it crumbles, then break one in a few days & see if it has become hardened more.