PDA

View Full Version : Comets with coloured microstars

drtoivowillmann
11-15-2016, 10:16 AM
Dear Friends:

Cylindrical comet-stars, made of coloured micro-stars, embedded in a black-powder-like matrix, anyone of you dealt with it ?

Yours truly : Toivo Willmann

chris v
01-30-2017, 08:36 PM
I have done a little with not much but i may be of some assistance

drtoivowillmann
01-31-2017, 02:24 AM
Well, I am listening...

Yours truly: Toivo

chris v
01-31-2017, 09:21 AM
I Use shimizu tigar tail comp as my matrix. Get your color. You want to use ready you will make cut stars with your color use an 8 mesh screen to granulate color if perchlorate comp is used make a sulfurless prime to coat stars before adding them to matrix comp and pressing this will help from having the mixes reacting the colors are up to you i like red and blue with dragon egg stars
Tiger tail
Pot nitrate 44%
Sulfur 6%
Pine coal 44%
Dex 6%
Lead tetraoxide is hard to find and when i found it it was more expensive than bismuth both are very expensive so i might add a video on the synthesis of lead tetra for use in dragon eggs

drtoivowillmann
01-31-2017, 12:35 PM
Thanks, Chris!

I am a professional. As graduated Chemist and PhD is my job to develop new, more beautiful or safer formulas.
But sometimes science allone does not resolve my problem and I interchange with colleagues, maybe professionals may be amateurs. Amateurs have such fresh and new ideas. So I like them both.

Your Tiger Tail is similar to mine.
Green, red, yellow microstars, based on Magnalium: no problem!
But with blue and purple ones: or the burn too fast or their critical speed is too low, so the go off soon after being lighted, during their flight through the air.
Chinese put in large quantities of sulphur and it works. But a mix with about 50% to 60% of Potassium Perchlorate and about 10% ou even more of sulphur is hazardous, being too sensible against friction.
So I look for different ideas than Sulphur and Perchlorate in blue or purple Magnalium-tars.

Yours truly: Toivo

PyroJoeNEPA
01-31-2017, 01:27 PM
Lead tetraoxide is hard to find and when i found it it was more expensive than bismuth both are very expensive so i might add a video on the synthesis of lead tetra for use in dragon eggs

I found an extremely inexpensive alternative to making dragon eggs: the small green plastic Consumer crackling balls [sold 16-12-6] give you 1,152 balls for around a case price of $50 some dollars-------taking these apart to harvest the "eggs" gives you a huge supply of dragon eggs for less money than you could make them for--plus you also get 1152 small green plastic hemis to use for effects and inserts some BP and a bunch of 1mm visco fuses [havent figured out a use for the visco fuses yet].
I've used the eggs in 5" & 6" ball shell pistils with a soft flash break--they worked fine. Also used them in mines. It takes some time to harvest them--but is a good winter project.
I don't know how they would work pressing them in a comet---but it will be a "when the weather gets better" project to try.

chris v
01-31-2017, 08:51 PM
On the purple and blue stars i tend to granulate and then roll to about 3 to 3.5 mm stars for the matrix and prime with a sulfurless bp prime

ras1986
01-31-2017, 11:27 PM
Joe. You could fill all the fused hemispheres up with flash... best use in my opinion... lol always good with a good bang