PDA

View Full Version : Cobra 18M Mods and LiPo battery upgrade

Bazerk
11-14-2016, 03:05 PM
I have a total of 10 18m modules right now and they are all 9V only. Do any of you guy use the LiPo setup and if so, did you upgrade yours or did you buy them that way? I am trying to determine if its worth the money to upgrade all 10 from 9V to LiPo. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

clr8ter
11-14-2016, 04:13 PM
I bought mine new with that option. I'm going to buy all other with it, too. It's very nice. I have used it a bunch of times since new, (though, not very heavily), and it's still on it's original charge. I'm not sure what the cost is to install the LIPO option after the face, though.

Bazerk
11-14-2016, 04:42 PM
I bought mine new with that option. I'm going to buy all other with it, too. It's very nice. I have used it a bunch of times since new, (though, not very heavily), and it's still on it's original charge. I'm not sure what the cost is to install the LIPO option after the face, though.

It will cost me $59 per module, plus shipping and a 1 time charge of $25 for a 5 way charger. So in essence it will cost me around $750 all in and Im not sure if its worth that.

clr8ter
11-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Yeah, that's a lot per mod. When you buy it already installed, it's only a $24 or so upgrade.

Northern Sky
11-14-2016, 07:26 PM
I've done both, bought new and upgraded. Joel has a video to follow that takes 10 minutes or so after the first one of course. Then there is a program needed to upgrade calibration for the battery options.

I LOVE the LIPOs. The best part is being able to turn the modules on early to do continuity and signal tests without concern of the batteries running low. The show NEOPG did November 5th used 57 modules. It took a while to do all the checks before hand and all were armed at 5:00 for testing and allowed to go to sleep until our 9:15 shoot time. Everything was armed and left on at 9:00 for the 17 minute show. Past years for the same show were a nail biter.