PDA

View Full Version : Ammonium dichromate

Champak
11-13-2016, 03:48 AM
Hi all ,
Ammonium dichromate is an excellent salt producing sparkling effect but still i cant see it in any fireworks .Why is it so?

countryboy7978
11-16-2016, 11:44 PM
I've only seen this chemical used in old chemistry projects. Other than snake type reactions, I don't see what kind of value it would have in modern pyrotechnics. It's not used in commercial fireworks due to it's toxicity. Highly toxic chemicals have been banned from US fireworks for decades.

PGH_Pyro
11-17-2016, 07:36 PM
true but still some unhealthy stuff in pyro.
ever gotten those blue boogers after a night of handlighting big shells ?
i've had weird headaches and etc.

countryboy7978
11-17-2016, 08:45 PM
true but still some unhealthy stuff in pyro.
ever gotten those blue boogers after a night of handlighting big shells ?
i've had weird headaches and etc.

Yeah barium, strontium, potassium, and even aluminum are not great to breathe but the old formulations has a lot of heavy metal salts. Chromium, antimony, mercury, white phosphorus, and arsenic were common. Bismuth is probably the worst we use now in commercial crackle.

Most of what you breathe shooting shells is likely to be carbon particulates and sulfur dioxide from the lift powder.

PGH_Pyro
11-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Aluminum, in itself will give you alzheimer's disease and related brain syndromes, says my doctor. I told him about my pyro. goings-on .
Tartartic acid pulls some of it out of the brain tissue. the easiest way to do that is to drink red wine as there is a lot of T.A. in red wine.
I don't want alzheimers.

Champak
11-17-2016, 10:52 PM
This year a lot chinese crackers were banned in india because they contain potassium chlorate which is highly toxic and can ignite easily.

Champak
11-17-2016, 10:53 PM
What about copper dust can we use it to produce some good effect in fountains.

displayfireworks1
11-18-2016, 08:32 AM
Nerd Rage has a video about this chemical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW4hN0dYnkM
Here in United States it is for sale on eBay.

Champak
11-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Nice one ..is there any flower pot or fountain that burns exactly like a volcano eruption.

countryboy7978
11-19-2016, 08:13 PM
Not anymore. There used to be an item called witches couldron that was similar