PDA

View Full Version : ATF License State of Illinois

displayfireworks1
11-12-2016, 11:36 PM
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~prsjr/families/il/gifiles/il-state.gif
This is a list of ATF Fireworks License numbers for the state of Illinois listed by county.
Admas-1
Bureau-1
Cook-22
DeKalb- 2
DuPage- 2
Edwards-1
Effingham-1
Fulton-1
Grundy-3
Hancock-1
Henry-6
Iroquois-2
Kane-3
Kankakee-3
Knox-1
LaSalle-6
Lake-1
Lee-1
Logan-3
Macon-5
Macoupin-1
Marshall-1
McLean-1
Mercer-1
Monroe-1
Ogle-1
Peoria-3
Piatt-1
Randolph-1
Rock Island-4
Saint Clair-3
Sangamon-3
Stark-2
Stephenson-1
Tazewell-7
Warren-1
Will-4
Williamson-1
Winnebago-1
Woodford-3
http://localtown.us/images/state/counties/illinois-county-map.gif

Bigjohnson
11-12-2016, 11:42 PM
Thanks Dave.

countryboy7978
11-16-2016, 11:49 PM
Getting your ATF license in IL requires a state certification first.

Acecogarshaqk
11-17-2016, 12:05 AM
No it doesnt, i have mine and have no state certs

displayfireworks1
11-17-2016, 08:27 AM
Although there are people out there that think the ATF Fireworks License is contingent upon state shooter certifications , it is not. In some locations the ATF Inspectors themselves believe that to be true. I went through this in Ohio , New York State and most recently Texas. I can say it 100 times and some of the more experienced pyro people out there do not want to believe it. As a matter of fact, some of them are mad it is true. They will often cite anecdotal reports of conversations they had with the ATF as evidence of truth. You will often hear, my state is different. No , your state is not different. Since 2003 the procedure belongs to the Federal Government. It covers United States and its territories.
Most people I help get ATF licensed use the license as a starting point and not a finishing point as the old philosophy professes. I keep saying all of this pyrotechnic advancement occurs opposite to the way it was taught over the years. You don't advance and get the license , you get the license first and then advance.

RalphieJ
11-17-2016, 07:13 PM
Please put up with me and my nostalgic nonsense. Years ago I would apply to purchase (then Class B) fireworks with the yellow ATF form. Upon mailed approval, I would obtain 2" salutes, and 3" and 4" shells (those Chinese 5" scared the heck out of me), single break and double with bottom salute. No magazine needed back then. The problem was, however, getting permission to fire these beauties. Any number of Deputy Sheriffs were willing to sign the release to fire the show. All were invited for burgers and beers an hour before the show. Needless to say this was well before 9/11. Never got busted. The good old days.

displayfireworks1
11-17-2016, 08:08 PM
The states independently made up their own rules for explosives prior to 2003. The storage requirements were always on the books , they were just poorly enforced or misunderstood. Some of the large fireworks companies used to let the driver take the truck home a day or two before July 4th . Here in Pennsylvania fireman bought 1.3 fireworks with just a letter from the Fire Chief saying it was OK to buy and shoot them. I remember a Shooter I was working with parked a fireworks truck on the shoot site the day before the shoot unattended. The agreement was the police would ride by once and while to keep an eye on it. The term "Safe Haven" was used loosely and defined locally, if the city sponsoring the display said this is a "Safe Haven" to park overnight here. That is good enough.
It all changed in 2003 with the "Safe Explosives Act" . The ATF took it over from all the states. I still remember standing in Kellners Fireworks and Bob telling a Fire Chief on the phone he can no longer sell him 1.3 fireworks without him having an ATF license. Prior to 2003 I remember Rex from the old Fire Art with a van full of those India green firecrackers waiting for a out of state person to buy them and he never showed. He refused to sell them to use because we were in state buyers. As you say, the good old days. LOL
The good news is you can still have fun with these 1.3 fireworks, you just need the ATF license.

countryboy7978
11-18-2016, 10:01 AM
No it doesnt, i have mine and have no state certs

Where are you from in Illinois? I had my Type 33 and although I wasn't required to have the lead shooter card, I was required to have the IDNR license to possess any 1.3 within the state. At the time I was purchasing from several in state vendors. I was told by my field agent that the permit would not be approved until the state DNR was in hand. I wasn't about to anger the agent. I got the license and still maintain it.

Bigjohnson
11-18-2016, 06:08 PM
I'm in Chicago. Wasn't even aware you could purchase 1.3 in Illinois seeing as Illinois doesn't allow the sale of fireworks.

Acecogarshaqk
11-18-2016, 08:38 PM
Im in chicago, i have my type 54. I dont have any of the idnr explosives liscense or insurance but i wwont be shooting here, ill be shooting in wisconsin

countryboy7978
11-18-2016, 08:42 PM
Im in chicago, i have my type 54. I dont have any of the idnr explosives liscense or insurance but i wwont be shooting here, ill be shooting in wisconsin

The shooting isn't the issue. Possession/transport is. Just be careful. I got reamed during my inspection due to where some of my product was shot. I cleared it up with the OSFM and ATF but I had to prove myself innocent.

countryboy7978
11-18-2016, 08:45 PM
I'm in Chicago. Wasn't even aware you could purchase 1.3 in Illinois seeing as Illinois doesn't allow the sale of fireworks.

That is false. 1.3 and 1.4 are both sold in Illinois legally. There are certainly several brick and mortar shops selling C. Fireworks use and sale can be permitted by the individual municipalities. Chicago and for the most part the suburbs ban it but you certainly can't tell around the 4th.

Bigjohnson
11-18-2016, 09:18 PM
That is false. 1.3 and 1.4 are both sold in Illinois legally. There are certainly several brick and mortar shops selling C. Fireworks use and sale can be permitted by the individual municipalities. Chicago and for the most part the suburbs ban it but you certainly can't tell around the 4th.

I've never seen a store selling fireworks in Illinois in my neck of the woods or any part of Illinois I've ever been to. That's not to say there aren't. But I have never seen one. The Illinois pua bans the use and sale of all fireworks in Illinois though. So if they are selling them it's not legally.

And yes people light fireworks off here but it doesn't mean they are supposed to. Also Indiana has no regulations on shooting 1.3 except following the tables of distance. That's where I will be shooting. In my interview I was told I need permits to shoot in Illinois. But as long as I follow other states laws I am fine. It is a national license not based off of states laws. It's just up to you to follow them

Bigjohnson
11-18-2016, 09:35 PM
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/yes-illinois-still-bans-fireworks/
https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/what-kinds-fireworks-are-legal-illinois

For your reading pleasure

countryboy7978
11-18-2016, 11:46 PM
https://www.illinoispolicy.org/yes-illinois-still-bans-fireworks/
https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/what-kinds-fireworks-are-legal-illinois

For your reading pleasure

Not interested in a pissing match but I've been in the fireworks industry for almost 20 years in one form or another. Let me show you what the fireworks laws in Illinois are. This is from the OFSM not a newspaper.

http://www.sfm.illinois.gov/Portals/0/docs/Commercial/Pyro-Fireworks/FaqsConsumerFireworks05212014.pdf?ver=2014-07-22-133152-043

http://www.quadcityfireworks.com/

countryboy7978
11-18-2016, 11:54 PM
Cakes up to 500 grams, fountains, parachutes, reloadable and preloaded shells along with safe and sane is allowed IF the municipality wants to allow it. Roman candles, rockets and firecrackers remain banned however certain locales still allow them, although they should be sold to out of state buyers. I did business for years with a fireworks firm out of Illinois both in 1.3 and 1.4. They have since moved on to other ventures.

Bigjohnson
11-19-2016, 12:17 AM
Dated 2005. The one from Illinois policy .org(not a newspaper) is dated. 7/15. I have no need to argue this either. I got my 54 without needing anything type of dnr license. Also I don't believe municipal codes can superscede state.

Bigjohnson
11-19-2016, 12:23 AM
Since I am a fireman next time I'm with the state Fire Marshall which will actuall be at a convention in a few weeks I'll talk to him. I know for a fact Rauner wants them legal for revenue. But that hasn't passed yet.

whale7760
11-19-2016, 02:04 PM
Since I am a fireman next time I'm with the state Fire Marshall which will actuall be at a convention in a few weeks I'll talk to him. I know for a fact Rauner wants them legal for revenue. But that hasn't passed yet.

Good news. Keep us posted.

countryboy7978
11-19-2016, 07:56 PM
I have a friend who talked to Rauner and this is true. However the two bills in th house by Rose and the outgoing Pat Vershoore have been stuck in the Rules committee for over a year.