PDA

View Full Version : Video Subject for DS1 Dave

vegassalute
11-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Dave, please consider doing a video covering the permitting process for both consumer as well as 1.3 shows. I've viewed just about all of your portfolio over the years and don't recall a "how to" video covering the permitting process. Assuming they don't object to the camera, please film the start to finish process including where you obtained your state's forms, how you complete the forms, where you submitted them and any conversation/interview with the governing authority that takes place. Although it would be in the context of a PA permit, I suspect other state processes are similar.

Much would be gained by your viewership from this kind of documentary. First, they learn it CAN be done (in those states that have a permitting process for 1.4). Second, the how-to education would be good for consumers as well as your sponsors by driving more interest & potential sales. Just a thought.

ras1986
11-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Lol.. step one... shoot without a permit.... step 2... play dumb tourist when caught

displayfireworks1
11-05-2016, 11:32 PM
There is so much variation in obtaining permits from one location to the other and one shoot site to another. People that sell fireworks should be making that video. Here in Pennsylvania using my recent Fireworks on the Farm video. Scott calls his local township office. He ask for a fireworks permit on a specific date, they say OK the cost is $50.00 come and pick it up. Other locations particularly densely populated areas just do not issue them. This is why people do not even ask and just shoot without a permit. As far as sales of fireworks, permit sales of fireworks are low volume sales as far as I can see. The real sales volume of fireworks is to sell to people that sign they have a permit but really don't have a permit. This is why fireworks distributors love out of state fireworks buyers. If I wanted to increase consumer fireworks sales, I would find a distributor more out of state customers.
If you really have a desire to get a fireworks permit, I would suggest to become ATF licensed, while that has nothing to do with fireworks permits, they do not know that. It carries pretend weight. When you ask for a permit you can write in your ATF license number. Years ago the police caught me shooting fireworks without a permit, I told them I was ATF licensed , they said yea but you still don't have a permit. I just told them OK and I stopped. Permits are good if you can get them, I get them for my Sportsman Club, but if I wanted one for my backyard in a residential neighborhood that is probably not going to happen.

vegassalute
11-06-2016, 10:37 AM
I don't personally have a desire. I live on 50+ acres so when I need to smell the smoke (which is often) I go outside & let it rip. My suggestion was more so as an educational piece for your general membership. From time to time you reference your having obtained a permit but I've never seen what it looks like or what kind of process ensued to get it.

Densely populated areas would clearly be a non-starter, which is exactly why I live where I do. I have the disease pretty bad.

displayfireworks1
11-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Here is one of my old fireworks permits. This one looks official , most do not . They can be just just typed on a letter head. I also received verbal permits in the past.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1624&stc=1