PDA

View Full Version : ATF License and Fingerprinting

displayfireworks1
11-02-2016, 07:50 AM
Occasionally I get questions from ATF Fireworks license applicants about where to get their fingerprints done. My suggestion is first check with your local police. For example here is a link to the police website in my township. You can see they offer free fingerprinting. So check with local law enforcement first.
http://0376cf8.netsolhost.com/services.html
Anyone else want to share how and where they had their fingerprints done and was there a cost associated with it?

Bazerk
11-02-2016, 08:07 AM
I got mine done at a substation in the mall about a mile away from my house. Was $5. Easy.

liame
11-02-2016, 11:13 AM
a place to start to see who does fingerprinting in your area.
http://licensing.com/locations/index.php

last time i had my fingerprints done was at the state police licensing office.

ajp989
11-02-2016, 11:43 AM
If you want a type 54 you have to have your fingerprint done at you local law enforcement agency. They did mine for free. See below from the type 54 application.

A completed FD-258
(Fingerprint Identification Card)
for each responsible
person, including sole proprietors, MUST also accompany this application. The
fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and must be taken at a local
law enforcement agency. In addition, if you are an alien, you must place your
U.S.-issued alien number or admission number in the miscellaneous block of the FD-258

Bazerk
11-02-2016, 11:52 AM
If you want a type 54 you have to have your fingerprint done at you local law enforcement agency. They did mine for free. See below from the type 54 application.

A completed FD-258
(Fingerprint Identification Card)
for each responsible
person, including sole proprietors, MUST also accompany this application. The
fingerprints must be clear for accurate classification and must be taken at a local
law enforcement agency. In addition, if you are an alien, you must place your
U.S.-issued alien number or admission number in the miscellaneous block of the FD-258

Yes, we know that. The other issue is that a lot of these agencies only do electronic fingerprinting so that becomes an issue. All of the local PDs in my area were electronic which is why I ended up at a substation in the mall.

ajp989
11-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Ohhhh ok gotcha didn't realize that

displayfireworks1
11-02-2016, 12:39 PM
If anyone knows about electronic fingerprinting perhaps they can tell us. I would be willing to bet there is still a way to print them from the computer. I know here in Pennsylvania for example the Pennsylvania State Police had to be the ones to fingerprint you for your State of Pennsylvania Hazmat Endorsement on your drivers license. Then over the last two years the state police stopped and some private company is permitted to do them. These smaller less sophisticated law enforcement departments may be best for inked fingerprints.
I would be curious what the ATF does with the inked cards, since the trend now a days is to have all of this on computer.

Bazerk
11-02-2016, 12:54 PM
If anyone knows about electronic fingerprinting perhaps they can tell us. I would be willing to bet there is still a way to print them from the computer. I know here in Pennsylvania for example the Pennsylvania State Police had to be the ones to fingerprint you for your State of Pennsylvania Hazmat Endorsement on your drivers license. Then over the last two years the state police stopped and some private company is permitted to do them. These smaller less sophisticated law enforcement departments may be best for inked fingerprints.
I would be curious what the ATF does with the inked cards, since the trend now a days is to have all of this on computer.

I agree with you Dave. There is no way they keep these paper cards in a filing cabinet. I would be willing to bet that they scan them for archival purposes. Then again, maybe its an additional step that is intended to deter people from applying in the first place. If the person trying to apply thinks that unnecessary or too time consuming then they will give up. It also may be a way to save time assuming that someone with a record wouldn't even bother submitting paperwork thus saving time and resources at the ATF.

chriskrc
11-02-2016, 02:54 PM
I'm surprised that text atf hasn't moved to electronic fingerprints yet. For nys o & p it's electronic and pistol permit fingerprints are electronic as well. Not sure about other states but one would think that the atf would have gone electronic

liame
11-02-2016, 05:15 PM
i belive this is the electronic fingerprinting you are talking about
https://www.certifixlivescan.com/certifix-livescan-locations.html

joewad
11-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Local sheriff's department downtown. Charged me $5 for their time/effort.

johnb46804
08-06-2020, 06:40 PM
In Indiana I had to get digital prints for my state gun permit but I also had to go to the county sheriffs office and get a hard card. I also have a class a cdl w/hazmat and I went to a private company for digital prints. I think the digital prints were about $100. Also the state says they will return hard cards if mailed for the gun permit.

chris v
08-07-2020, 07:14 PM
Only time I got fingerprinted was at meps and it was digital

BSPurtee
08-07-2020, 09:16 PM
Yes you can print onto a fingerprint card. I conduct electronic FP?s at work and we can print the card.

displayfireworks1
08-07-2020, 09:23 PM
Yes you can print onto a fingerprint card. I conduct electronic FP?s at work and we can print the card.

Thanks for mentioning that. In prior post I mentioned that some digital printing equipment has a provision to print a hard copy. You just have to hope the operator knows how to do it. The last time I renewed my CDL Hazmat in Pennsylvania I ask the operator if he knew how to print a hard a copy and he did not. You don't always get the most knowledgeable people running these fingerprint operations. You can always buy a fingerprint on Ebay and go from there.

FireInTheSky
08-18-2020, 01:21 PM
I applied for my ATF license in July of this year. How long can I expect it to take for approval? Also what can i expect from the ATF interview? Im like a little kid waiting for xmas to happen..lol. Constantly checking to see if they withdrew the money from my checking.

ETnepa
09-01-2020, 03:26 PM
I have my hazmat endorsement on my CDL in PA and I've always had to go to a place called Identogo. They do digital fingerprinting but at some of their locations they also do print the necessary fingerprint cards and if you give them a copy of the card the ATF mails you they will also print your fingerprints on that too.

NewPyro93
09-03-2020, 06:20 PM
I'm surprised that text atf hasn't moved to electronic fingerprints yet. For nys o & p it's electronic and pistol permit fingerprints are electronic as well. Not sure about other states but one would think that the atf would have gone electronic

In NJ when I got my fingerprints done for my Firearms identification card and pistol permits it was electronically scanned and then when my background check and everything was cleared they inked my fingerprint on my actual Firearm identification card

Rick_In_Tampa
09-07-2020, 05:38 AM
In NJ when I got my fingerprints done for my Firearms identification card and pistol permits it was electronically scanned and then when my background check and everything was cleared they inked my fingerprint on my actual Firearm identification card

Pistol permits?? Firearm identification cards?? What the..... Do they come with a hammer and sickle or does that cost extra??

Arclight
09-07-2020, 06:31 PM
Pistol permits?? Firearm identification cards?? What the..... Do they come with a hammer and sickle or does that cost extra??

The hammer and sickle watermark is a security feature to prevent tampering on all documents issued by CA, NJ, NY and MA.

Funny thing, a blaster's license here is a little scrap of paper that they suggested I get laminated. CCWs are a more professional-looking card with picture.

Arclight
09-07-2020, 09:19 PM

The hammer and sickle watermark is a security feature to prevent tampering on all documents issued by CA, NJ, NY and MA.

Funny thing, a blaster's license here is a little scrap of paper that they suggested I get laminated. CCWs are a more professional-looking card with picture.

NewPyro93
09-14-2020, 09:20 PM

Its how nj is. They're really strict on their gun laws
Our magazine compacity was lowered to 10 recently... They're just as strict with fireworks. Its ridiculous...

Rick_In_Tampa
09-17-2020, 04:41 AM
Of all the reasons I hate living in Florida, their gun/fireworks laws are not one of them. Not sure how you guys do it in those archaic states, but good on ya for sticking with it.

Crush630
09-17-2020, 02:19 PM
IL is even worse

NewPyro93
09-17-2020, 08:38 PM
Of all the reasons I hate living in Florida, their gun/fireworks laws are not one of them. Not sure how you guys do it in those archaic states, but good on ya for sticking with it.

LOL whats even worse for me is that PA is literally a 10 minute drive away... its almost like I can smell the freedom ��