PDA

View Full Version : Pyro Down Under

PyroOz
11-02-2016, 01:38 AM
Hey to all on this forum.

I have seen many of the videos posted on YouTube by displayfireworks1. They are amazing, I love them!

I am 25y/o a licenced Pyrotechnician from Australia who has worked on various shows around Melbourne and Victoria as a whole. From small hand-fired shows through to Melbourne City NYE firing from rooftops and barges, from consumer-level cakes through to 12" shells, it has been an incredible experience!

Unfortunately the way of licensing over here is so restrictive I'm about to lose my license due to not being involved in enough shows. The industry here is so tightly regulated it's a joke. However, I still love fireworks and hopefully can get involved more some time.

I'd be very keen to come over to the USA and get a taste of how you guys run things. I imagine every state is different (like Australia) but it does seem nowhere near as regulated.

Hope to talk to some of you guys soon...

Matt

PyroManiacs
11-02-2016, 03:16 AM
Welcome to PyroTalk, Matt!

displayfireworks1
11-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for enjoying my YouTube videos and joining the pyrotalk discussion forums. I always enjoy having enthusiast and professionals from outside of the United States. It would probably take me 10 typed paragraphs to explain how fireworks are sold and used in United States.
There are few pyrotalk members on the forums from Australia and New Zealand. Do you have any photographs or video you can share? I would enjoy seeing some fireworks set up pictures.

chriskrc
11-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Welcome to the forum and great to meet you

PyroJoeNEPA
11-02-2016, 06:13 PM
Welcome to the Forum Matt. I hope things work out for you in the future that you will be able to keep your licensing.

PyroOz
11-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the responses and welcoming :)

I've been able to get back on board the Melbourne City NYE show this year which is great and I'll be sending away for a license renewal next week, so that is good news.
In Australia, Victoria specifically, a pyro licence doesn't really mean much in that you still need public liability insurance and then a permit and then to notify many different authorities to conduct individual events and obviously then purchase product, so it's a very expensive exercise and not something you can just do for fun so to speak, like it appears you guys can in the States. It's still exciting to be able to have a licence and work on big events nonetheless.

Dave, I don't have any photos but I will aim to get some for this NYE and possibly even earlier if I get on any other shows!

fatcat
11-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Hello Matt, welcome to the forum. Good luck to you in retaining your license. Keep us informed on how it goes.