PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 or 1.3 difficulty choosing...

liame
10-21-2016, 10:09 PM
ok dont get me wrong i want to get my 54, but i don't know if it is worth it (permit, insurance, space, etc) i think the only thing i would really use it for in my shows is a cake here and there and salutes in a finally, or if i start working for a pyro company again. what may i be missing?

fatcat
10-21-2016, 10:26 PM
liame

Don't feel like the lone ranger, even though I have been shooting family shows for around 40 years I have had the same thoughts. I am way to old to try to work with a pyro company. I agree that the 54 would give access to better cakes and faster fuse ,but I wonder if the plus out weighs the minus, as you describe in your post. I have purchased Dave's package, but down here the contingency storage seems to be the big problem. There are a lot of 1.4 cakes/shells that are very good and seem to please the local folks and they sure as heck avoid a lot of problems

PGHBoom
10-22-2016, 11:11 AM
One thing you might want to take into consideration is the ability to purchase fireworks 1.3 or 1.4 from within your own state. Here in PA I currently have to go to Ohio for my purchases.

liame
10-22-2016, 03:53 PM
I am way to old to try to work with a pyro company.
i use to work with a pyro who was in his 80's your never to old

There are a lot of 1.4 cakes/shells that are very good and seem to please the local folks and they sure as heck avoid a lot of problems
that there are.

liame
10-22-2016, 03:55 PM
One thing you might want to take into consideration is the ability to purchase fireworks 1.3 or 1.4 from within your own state. Here in PA I currently have to go to Ohio for my purchases.

1.3 i have to get shipped or travel a large distance to get 1.4 i can get almost anything minus smoke rockets firecrackers.

Bazerk
10-22-2016, 04:26 PM
ok dont get me wrong i want to get my 54, but i don't know if it is worth it (permit, insurance, space, etc) i think the only thing i would really use it for in my shows is a cake here and there and salutes in a finally, or if i start working for a pyro company again. what may i be missing?

It starts with a cake or two and will build up from there. I wont start a whole issue with the "insurance/permit" issue. I will state that if your mixing in the 1.3 with a 1.4 show as I did, most people wont even know the difference. I will always shoot mine on my private property so I dont sweat the insurance either. Take it for what you will, but I am very glad to have my 54.

jLk_pyro
10-22-2016, 10:27 PM

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Having to make the drive to Ohio from NEPA isn't something I look forward to doing when purchasing product. It's the one thing that keeps me interested in the type 54 license.

displayfireworks1
10-23-2016, 09:07 AM
You do not need a Type 54 ATF license to work for a display fireworks company. The company attaches you to their license as an Employee Possessor. You still need your own license to purchase 1.3 fireworks. If you do not purchase many fireworks it may not be for you.
At jlk_pyro, if you live in North East Pennsylvania the only think stopping you from getting an ATF Fireworks license is $100.00 for the three year fee. While consumer fireworks sales are not permitted in PA without a permit or out of state use. Once you get the Type 54 there are distributor that will sell 1.4 to you based on that license. I am curious did you purchase my ATF/DVD package? Do you understand the process?

jLk_pyro
10-24-2016, 08:14 PM
I understand the type 54 licensing process somewhat. All I know is what I've read from the forums. My 2-3 year plan is to obtain a type 54. Until then I plan to start exploring some of the many clubs in my state and increase my knowledge of the hobby. Along with learning how to keep this a safe hobby for myself and my family heh. There's no rush in my situation.

displayfireworks1
10-24-2016, 08:49 PM
You just missed the Fire Art open shoot last week, but hey you are in no hurry. That was very close to where you live. If you elevated your desire for fireworks to the point where you are posting on a pyrotechnic discussion forum and you still need 2 to 3 more years to think about it and there is no rush. I really do not understand it. I am sure Fire Art will have a PGI shooter training course in the spring consider taking that.

liame
10-24-2016, 10:01 PM
I am sure Fire Art will have a PGI shooter training course in the spring consider taking that.

i hope they do one i could use a hands on again maybe that will give me the push i need.