PDA

View Full Version : 1.25" ID Tubes?

cptnding
10-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Anyone know of a source for 1.25" ID tubes? I've got an itch to send up a barrage of some of the newer "mini canister" shells and would like to find a some tubes to experiment with. Normally I only use HDPE tubes but fiberglass might be ok for these.
I found a legit looking web site that lists them in stock but it has not worked out. Placed an order, got a confirmation email and a charge on my card but 2 weeks have passed and no tubes. Have not received a response to email or voice mail either so I'm back on the hunt.

jamisonlm3
10-17-2016, 10:30 PM
What's the actual diameter of the mini canister shells? I bet they'd fire fine out of a tube with an ID of 1.5". I measured one of the mortars that came with a box Diablo I have. It's .25" larger than the actual shells. The shells are 1.6". Google 1.5" mortar tube. You should get several hits.

cptnding
10-17-2016, 10:50 PM
The shells are 1.10" to 1.15". The crappy tubes that come with them are all right at 1.25" ID in 3 different brands of shells. I'm thinking 1.5" would be too big.

liame
10-17-2016, 10:51 PM
i dont know which "mini canisters" shells you are using but the last ones i used came with a tubes that measured 1.27" (i just measured the tube) for 1" shells and some of those i had to push down the tube and expected a full fail of the tube (Cato i believe?)

cptnding
10-18-2016, 12:39 AM
Tubes may very well be 1.27" and shells may be 1" if I peeled the paper off them. I have used a long screwdriver turned upside down many times to cram a critical acclaim mine shell or a pnut type shell down a DR11 tube and have no worries. Setback is your friend. I require a minimum of 300 ft when firing excals. No joke. I am a bit of a safety freak. I can't imagine one of the mini canister type shells breaching a quality tube. That's why I'm trying to find some. I still think 1.5" tubes would be too big to get enough lift.

ilovecrackle
10-18-2016, 12:51 AM
I bought a few cases of those 1" cans last year. I contemplated on trying to find some 1.25" tubes but decided to just use some spent cakes to fire them out of. Those work really well and in my experience, can be reloaded 3-4 times before I noticed any breakdown. Although I wouldn't reload any cheap, flimsy cakes. If you go this route, make sure you inspect the cake to make sure it still looks and feels sturdy.

I brought a case of them to PGI this past year and had fun loading up all the spent cakes there with them and lighting them. :)

Crab107
10-18-2016, 09:07 AM
Tubes may very well be 1.27" and shells may be 1" if I peeled the paper off them. I have used a long screwdriver turned upside down many times to cram a critical acclaim mine shell or a pnut type shell down a DR11 tube and have no worries. Setback is your friend. I require a minimum of 300 ft when firing excals. No joke. I am a bit of a safety freak. I can't imagine one of the mini canister type shells breaching a quality tube. That's why I'm trying to find some. I still think 1.5" tubes would be too big to get enough lift.

I get all my tubes from "consolidated pipe and supply" in Lawrenceville Ga. Swing by there. They have any type of tube/pipe you could ask for and they will cut it for you. I usually get 40 2" hdpe for about $70.

Crab107
10-18-2016, 09:17 AM

I get all my tubes from "Consolidated pipe and Supply" in Lawrenceville Ga. Swing by there. They have any type of tube/pipe you could ask for and they will cut it for you. I usually get 40 2" hdpe for about $70.
I believe i saw some smaller hdpe pipe while i was there. You can get out fairly cheap if you have a way to haul it and cut it yourself. They only sell it in 40' lengths.

ras1986
10-18-2016, 09:25 PM
Just go to home Depot and get some pvc. If you are being a safety freak then you will be far enough away from shrapnel hazards.... 75 feet is good for a 1 inch shell... I doubt a 1 inch can could shatter schedule 40 pvc

cptnding
10-18-2016, 09:35 PM
I get all my tubes from "Consolidated pipe and Supply" in Lawrenceville Ga. Swing by there. They have any type of tube/pipe you could ask for and they will cut it for you. I usually get 40 2" hdpe for about $70.
I believe i saw some smaller hdpe pipe while i was there. You can get out fairly cheap if you have a way to haul it and cut it yourself. They only sell it in 40' lengths.

Thanks for the info. That's a possibility if it comes down to it. I was hoping to avoid building them. If I buy the pipe them my problem becomes plugs. I can buy 1.25" dowel rods for cheap at Home Depot and cut them but I am thinking they will need a beveled edge on one end to get them in the tubes. Not sure how to do that with out it becoming a very time consuming process with a belt sander. Then I would have to figure out how to staple them in. Brad nailer maybe? Not sure I'm willing to make the time to do all that.

Westpapyro
10-18-2016, 10:19 PM
A quick google search finds a few hdpe options, do not use pvc!

cptnding
10-18-2016, 10:38 PM
A quick google search finds a few hdpe options, do not use pvc!

Yes, PVC is not an option. I'm not sure those mini cans have enough pop to bust schedule 80. But PVC is not durable. So I'll never know. If I'm going to go to the trouble to build racks I want them to last 20 years. lol Racks take a beating over time.

Crab107
10-19-2016, 12:30 AM
For plugs use a 2x4 or something at least 1.5 inches thick. For 2" hdpe Get a 2 1/8 hole saw. It makes a perfect plug. Doesnt need to he beveled. Just put the plug on the ground, put the tube on top of it and pound it with a rubber mallot. I always use adhesve spray for extra security. I bet the smaller tubes will work the same way..just get a hole saw that is 1/8" greater than the ID of the tube. It should be a good tight fit. Hell i may try it tomorrow