PDA

View Full Version : Flash mines....

ras1986
10-11-2016, 09:04 PM
Ok.... I want some answers, how come no one uses flash at the bottom of their gas mines? Is this because flash has more of a ripping high speed blast vs the slow pushing force of BP? I was curious what a 2 inch salute would do in the bottom of an 8 inch gas mine.... there are so many great minds here when it comes to these things I would like one of yall to give me an answer.

displayfireworks1
10-11-2016, 09:45 PM
You want to shoot a salute next to the mortar to fire at the same time the flame leaves the pipe. . It gives it a more dramatic effect. My guess on what you suggest is the flash would light the gas but not give a straight up lifting effect. The gasoline would be on fire all over the ground. Another effect I wanted to try is to suspend a flash salute 6 feet above the mortar having it go off as the flame goes past it.

PyroJoeNEPA
10-12-2016, 10:33 AM
Ok.... I want some answers, how come no one uses flash at the bottom of their gas mines? Is this because flash has more of a ripping high speed blast vs the slow pushing force of BP? I was curious what a 2 inch salute would do in the bottom of an 8 inch gas mine.... there are so many great minds here when it comes to these things I would like one of yall to give me an answer.
Short answer is you would be making a pipe bomb.
You are correct that the BP is a slow ignition causing a piston effect on the water plug in the bottom of the pipe to lift the gas. The flash would probably split the pipe, sending shrapnel and flaming gasoline everywhere.

You can time a salute to go off in conjunction with the fireball--but I think it would detract from the "feel" of the effect of the fireball rising & rolling outward.
Dave--on your idea of having the salute elevated above the fireball--I think it would pretty much blow the shape of the "mushroom" apart--depending when it went off relative to the formation of the rising fireball. there is a pretty "stout" shock wave from even small salutes & the side to side pressure wave would probably overpower the soft rising effect of the fireball. It would make for a pretty cool experiment though.

ras1986
10-12-2016, 06:34 PM
Thanks Joe. Short an sweet answer!