PDA

View Full Version : Storage Magazine Issue (Potentially) Solved!!

Rick_In_Tampa
09-15-2016, 12:22 PM
So I think I might have my storage issue solved. My buddy just bought 66 acres of land and he plans to put (among other things) a storage magazine on it. Obviously, that solves HIS storage issue. My question to you folks is, can I use his storage magazine as MY storage magazine as far as the ATF is concerned? If so, is there anything I need to do to satisfy the ATF that my friend is allowing me to use his magazine? Do I need some kind of letter from him?

Any insight you can offer would be appreciated!

displayfireworks1
09-15-2016, 12:35 PM
Slow down, you are one Step B or C. This guy just purchased the property and he as you say plans to put a magazine on it. Wait for Step A on his part to occur or better yet create your own Step A. I know you are anxious, did you network with anyone in that Florida club? The reasonable question to ask someone not selling you fireworks and you want to use their magazine is , what is in it for them? They give you storage , do all the required bookkeeping etc for you. What do they get?
The answer is yes he can give you a letter and you can get your license that way.

Bazerk
09-15-2016, 12:52 PM
So I think I might have my storage issue solved. My buddy just bought 66 acres of land and he plans to put (among other things) a storage magazine on it. Obviously, that solves HIS storage issue. My question to you folks is, can I use his storage magazine as MY storage magazine as far as the ATF is concerned? If so, is there anything I need to do to satisfy the ATF that my friend is allowing me to use his magazine? Do I need some kind of letter from him?

Any insight you can offer would be appreciated!

As Dave suggested, you want to make sure he fulfills his part of it first. Just because you have land doesnt mean that the local authorities will be ok with having an explosives magazine in their city limits. The ATF has to and will notify the local fire marshal that there will be a magazine in his jurisdiction and if he or she doesnt want it there, it wont happen. Assuming that they do allow it, it will have to be approved by the ATF and then he can offer you contingency storage.

displayfireworks1
09-15-2016, 01:13 PM
In the past I stored product in a friends magazine for three months. We negotiated a monthly charge for him keeping it until the day I needed it. I paid him up front and gave him a removal date. Not that it pertains to this post, but in general it is reasonable for a third party to charge for 1.3 storage. I also think it is reasonable for a third party to charge a reasonable fee for contingency letters.

Rick_In_Tampa
09-15-2016, 07:53 PM
Dave - I probably should have made it clear this guy isn't just a casual friend. He's my best friend that I've known for 12 years now. As for "what's in it for him," he and I have already been talking about splitting the cost of the magazine. This isn't just a "host-parasite" arrangement I'm talking about here. :cool:

I appreciate the feedback and answer!

Rick_In_Tampa
09-15-2016, 07:57 PM
In the past I stored product in a friends magazine for three months. We negotiated a monthly charge for him keeping it until the day I needed it. I paid him up front and gave him a removal date. Not that it pertains to this post, but in general it is reasonable for a third party to charge for 1.3 storage. I also think it is reasonable for a third party to charge a reasonable fee for contingency letters.

All sounds reasonable for sure. As I mentioned above, I've already offered to split the cost of the magazine with him. So I think I've met the requirement.

Rick_In_Tampa
09-15-2016, 08:02 PM
As Dave suggested, you want to make sure he fulfills his part of it first. Just because you have land doesnt mean that the local authorities will be ok with having an explosives magazine in their city limits. The ATF has to and will notify the local fire marshal that there will be a magazine in his jurisdiction and if he or she doesnt want it there, it wont happen. Assuming that they do allow it, it will have to be approved by the ATF and then he can offer you contingency storage.

You make a good point, but I don't see any reason the fire marshal would say no. We're talking 66 acres of wooded wetlands surrounded by more fruit farms and wetlands. If you can't have a magazine on this land, then no one should be able to have one!

Then again, who knows... Anything is possible I guess. I totally get the need to be cautious. But I'm going to keep the cup half full for now.

Thanks for the feedback though!

Bigjohnson
09-15-2016, 11:31 PM
The way it was out to me in my interview was this.

You can store it in someone else's magazine but the minute you put it there it is theirs. So if they pop in to do an inspection and stuff is missing and not documented it is on them. Whether it was your product and you forgot to sign it out he will be facing the blame.

So yes you can but its him on the line if anything happens. Now I don't know about joint storage where two people can claim it. But like I said from what I gathered it's allowed. Every time you put something in it is being signed to his possession making him the responsible party. Does that make sense

Westpapyro
09-16-2016, 05:33 AM
I have a friend in Pa that has started the process of setting up his own mag. Keep hoping he'll get it finished someday!
I have an uncle that lives a half an hour away with 66 acres, hhhmmmmm. It's nice to dream for me.
Lol

Rick_In_Tampa
09-16-2016, 04:34 PM
The way it was out to me in my interview was this.

You can store it in someone else's magazine but the minute you put it there it is theirs. So if they pop in to do an inspection and stuff is missing and not documented it is on them. Whether it was your product and you forgot to sign it out he will be facing the blame.

So yes you can but its him on the line if anything happens. Now I don't know about joint storage where two people can claim it. But like I said from what I gathered it's allowed. Every time you put something in it is being signed to his possession making him the responsible party. Does that make sense

Makes perfect sense. Thanks for providing that insight. No question that we would have to keep the paperwork straight. Shouldn't be a big deal. We're both pretty methodical people. (IT guys. It's in our DNA)

Rick_In_Tampa
09-16-2016, 04:36 PM
I have a friend in Pa that has started the process of setting up his own mag. Keep hoping he'll get it finished someday!
I have an uncle that lives a half an hour away with 66 acres, hhhmmmmm. It's nice to dream for me.
Lol

So grab a case of Iron City beer and head over there and convince your Uncle that dropping a shipping container on his land would be beneficial to you both!

What's the worst thing that could happen? You have to make a second beer run? :p

comtech5
09-19-2016, 12:25 AM
FYI guys, if two or more ATF license holders both have "full access" to the same magazine, that will require a "variance" from the ATF. These are routinely granted, but you must make out an application for it to happen. It usually takes about 10 days or so and is no big deal. I think the request goes to the Atlanta office. Conversely, a listed "Responsible Person" can have full access privileges without a variance. Fortunately, inventory issues can be handled rather easily by creating what are called "virtual magazines" for each individual license holder via inventory software that is readily available out there in the marketplace. During an ATF inspection, a combined "physical magazine" can be generated and printed for ATF personnel on site. Easy.

hjason7812
04-05-2017, 04:33 AM
All sounds reasonable for sure. As I mentioned above, I've already offered to split the cost of the magazine with him. So I think I've met the requirement.

i found shipping containers for $3,000 delivered for 20' container made to be atf compliant.

Bazerk
04-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Im interested in this info. Please PM me.

displayfireworks1
04-06-2017, 12:33 PM
At Bezerk , get about three of those 1.3 shipping containers and get into the 1.3 distributor business. There is a real need for it in that Florida section of the country.

infante0216
04-19-2017, 02:34 PM
at bezerk , get about three of those 1.3 shipping containers and get into the 1.3 distributor business. There is a real need for it in that florida section of the country.

yes indeed!

PyroManiacs
04-19-2017, 03:19 PM
At Bezerk , get about three of those 1.3 shipping containers and get into the 1.3 distributor business. There is a real need for it in that Florida section of the country.

Yea, I wouldnt sleep on it Bazerk!

Rick_In_Tampa
04-20-2017, 10:46 AM
i found shipping containers for $3,000 delivered for 20' container made to be atf compliant.

Please PM me the info!