PDA

View Full Version : If They Aren't a Sponsor, they SHOULD BE!

vegassalute
09-04-2016, 03:20 PM
So over the years I've "borrowed" a number of pages out of our friend Dave's book. My most recent "borrow" was literally life-changing. There are probably members of the forum that picked up on this well before I did and have been doing it for years but yesterday afternoon I went to Home Depot and bought one of those Benzomatic 14.1oz torch kits along with a trigger that has one-touch firing capability and adjustable gas intensity.

Last night I used it to fire a fairly large hand-fired show using mostly 1.4 consumer product and it was freaking awesome! If you haven't used one of these yet, pay the $45-$50 and buy the trigger & tank starter set and while you're there pick up a few extra tanks. It was absolutely awesome! And if they aren't a Pyro-Talk sponsor, maybe they should be! They will probably need to get past the obvious concerns over risk of a compressed gas/pyrotechnic combination. As far as I'm concerned this should be in every pyro's toolbox.

One question though - what are your thoughts on using it to hand-fire 1.3 shells? Do any of you use this method as opposed to flares when hand-firing a show or when testing product, or is the risk of a low-break or lift-charge failure too much of a compounded risk? Thoughts?

PyroJoeNEPA
09-04-2016, 05:12 PM
If a shell is going to low break or flower pot it doesn't matter what you are using to light it. The Bernzomatic is probably safer---if a shell goes "south" on you & you have a flare in your hand you could drop it on your feet--the Bernzomatic TS4000 won't let gas escape and have a flame unless the trigger is pulled & a loose star bouncing off of the steel gas canister isn't going to make it rupture or explode!
Since I only efire anymore [too old, too fat, too smart-- hehe] some of the other guys here that do hand fire can jump in & give you their input. I've had my TS4000 for years & don't know how I got by using all the other "cheapie" torches before I got it. I still laugh at some of the you tube videos of someone trying to light something --click--click--click click---click-click-click click--click!!!
Some people will tell you to get the short fat cylinders since they stand on end better--but for the amount I use mine [club shoots, testing product, etc.] I prefer the tall canisters.
I've also seen some people mount a LED light on them to illuminate the leader on the shells.

matandch
09-04-2016, 07:08 PM
TS 4000 is the only way to go for hand lighting, from sparklers right up to 1.3.

vegassalute
09-04-2016, 10:20 PM
TS 4000 is the only way to go for hand lighting, from sparklers right up to 1.3.
Totally agree - I picked up the TS8000 and it makes me want to light everything in sight!

displayfireworks1
09-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Glad you picked one these torches up. I have the one with the adjustable flame control. Here is my video from 2012. If these things had a light on them it would be great. I find them hard to use in the dark sometimes. Also this adjustable flame model has a screw on tip, I am not sure if they all have that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy44igLQV6Y
This model is the TS8000

Westpapyro
09-04-2016, 10:45 PM
I seen and shot with a guy up at Kellners about 3 and 1/2 years ago that had a light on his torch. I have had one on my torch ever since. Used two small pipe clamps. Don't remember his name to give him credit but thought it was ingenious.
Chuck

Butterman900
09-05-2016, 12:20 AM
I have personally only shot one 1.3 show but the lead unpacked 10 of this from the show equipment (5 shooters and a spare for each) and we fired all our hand light section of shells, 3, 4, and 5 inchers with them. Again I have only done one show myself but this company been shooting for 25 years and acted like it was " their way " for sure.

Side note-- the owner requires that anything above 5 inch be shot electrically for safety. Not a law or state reg but his rule.

primetime347
09-05-2016, 03:25 AM
I agree. The TS4000 is the only way to go when hand lighting fireworks. It is safe and reliable in any weather situation. Plus, when a fuse spits back, it does not make the torch malfunction like it does to lighters and other cheap torches.

That would be cool if they became a sponsor, but I would have to say that these torches where not designed for lighting pyrotechnics. I would say there purpose is in plumping to heat copper tubing and soldering.

displayfireworks1
09-05-2016, 09:40 AM
The company that sells these Benzomatic torches does not need me to promote them. They have market dominance in this area. The person I am waiting for will be the person that developes this same type of torch with a bright light on it and brings it to market. I believe Rob from Pyro Nation made a torch with a light on it like the one you describe. The red road flare is hard to compete with, it is cheap , does not go out and give plenty of cool red light. Even if you use this torch on a professional display, you are still going to need a flare as a plan B in the event the torch malfunctions.

PyroManiacs
09-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Flares have only been what I use on 1.3 hand fire shows. Although I used one of these one time to light a 4" salute. Never have again. These tanks could be potential bombs. Id rather the bombs explode in the air, not in my hand. Lets say that chance is one in a million.... winning the lottery is a one in a million chance too, correct? This lottery is not one that I would want to win.

I totally here what PyroJoe is saying in terms of safety though. I just dont trust a compressed canister of fuel in my hand while lighting 1.3 items. Maybe cakes, sure. Not shells though. I guess its comes down to personal preference and how safe you feel with what is available.