PDA

View Full Version : Fireball charge bottles/egg

Crab107
08-29-2016, 02:32 PM
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1392&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1393&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1394&stc=1http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1395&stc=1

Found some old empty hand sanitizer bottles. They work perfect as a lift charge bottle for fireballs. A little locktite in the cap and around the threads make a perfect air tight seal.
They hold exaclty 2oz of cannon grade or 2fa powder. Was a perfect lift for my 4"/0.5 gallon fireball pot.
Walgreens sells empty 4oz bottles just like this for $3 for 4 bottles. They work good for my 6"/2 gallon fireball pot as well.

PyroMaster
08-30-2016, 10:01 AM
Nice work!!

displayfireworks1
08-30-2016, 06:38 PM
Walgreen Pharmacy sells empty bottles like. I did not know that. Great information. What is that white glue?
On a side note interesting history of Walgreen Pharmacy and how they profited from alcohol sales during the alcohol prohibition years in United States. I see wikipedia has some of that listed for those interested.

PyroJoeNEPA
08-30-2016, 08:42 PM
Looks good. Is that white silicon you used in the lid?

liame
08-30-2016, 08:56 PM
"Locktite" i thought was blue?! do you have to worry about the tallon getting damaged with the powder?

Crab107
08-30-2016, 10:47 PM
These are the empty bottles you can buy at Walgreens. They come 4 to a pack.
This loctite i got from walmart..its the "powergrab all purpose" type.

Crab107
08-30-2016, 10:56 PM
"Locktite" i thought was blue?! do you have to worry about the tallon getting damaged with the powder?

I put a piece of visco in the talon before i put it in to the bottle. Theres just enough room for it to fit and its sitting right on top of the powder. I fired 4 with visco and talons last week..it worked very well. I like using the talon and visco because it just seems less scary to me..lol..after watching daves videos on the ematch ignition with hammers and friction etc. My first try with the fireball made my hairs stand up. I had my arm shoulder deep in a 6 inch steel pipe with a 4oz charge of black powder and an ematch...it was just one of those moments im sureevery pyro has.."This feels dangerous" lmao..

PyroJoeNEPA
08-31-2016, 04:29 PM
"Locktite" as you referred to it above is the name of the company--the product you used is a fast setting adhesive. Like was mentioned above--and I thought the same myself--the general term "Locktite" refers to a blue liquid in a small squeeze bottle that is put on the threads of a bolt or machine screw to keep it from working loose.
If you are concerned about putting your arm down into the pipe to load your lift charge just put a piece of string down and thru the "catch nut" on the bottom & then use the string to pull your wire and lift charge in.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-31-2016, 05:22 PM
These are the empty bottles you can buy at Walgreens. They come 4 to a pack.
This loctite i got from walmart..its the "powergrab all purpose" type.

You my friend are out of control! Lol... I love it. Great job and very helpful tips! Thanks for sharing!!

Westpapyro
08-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Wander how big of a bottle charge this took?

https://youtu.be/ZGvsEFYrBfM
Not my video or channel, props to them.

Crab107
09-01-2016, 07:37 AM

I want to make one of those!!! Geagggghhhh!!! If you guys never hear from me again you know wht happened..lol

Crab107
09-01-2016, 07:39 AM
"Locktite" as you referred to it above is the name of the company--the product you used is a fast setting adhesive. Like was mentioned above--and I thought the same myself--the general term "Locktite" refers to a blue liquid in a small squeeze bottle that is put on the threads of a bolt or machine screw to keep it from working loose.
If you are concerned about putting your arm down into the pipe to load your lift charge just put a piece of string down and thru the "catch nut" on the bottom & then use the string to pull your wire and lift charge in.

Thanks man!!! Thts how i will do it from now on!

Crab107
09-01-2016, 07:43 AM
You my friend are out of control! Lol... I love it. Great job and very helpful tips! Thanks for sharing!!

I was fine till i met you guys...i blame you..lmao!! I just dont get why guys arent more into it. ITS FIRE!! IT GOES BOOM!! whats not to love about shooting fireworks!!! I guess not eveyone understands the "pyro bug".

Northern Sky
09-01-2016, 09:03 AM

For the record, this is not all in one mortar.
Anyway for estimating purposes is go with 1 pound per 5 gallons.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-01-2016, 10:56 AM
I want to make one of those!!! Geagggghhhh!!! If you guys never hear from me again you know wht happened..lol

That is Bill Corbetts "Super Nuke" at PGI--for the record he had 425 gal of gas & 33 pounds of lift powder. All steel mortars buried in the ground. There are plenty of pics around of the guns & the gas tanker truck filling the pipes up..just dig a little. I had the pleasure to meet Bill at PGI this year. He was a friend on Face Book for a few months but had not met him face to face. When we pulled into the secure parking area for the trailers with pyro at PGI he was parked along side of us & I saw the trailer open & the five foot steel guns in there--I said--hey--are you Bill ----long story short--he is a great guy & an awesome pyro!!!I wish we did not have to leave on friday since his "nuke" was moved to Saturday night. I really wanted to "feel" it!!!

PyroJoeNEPA
09-01-2016, 11:59 AM
For the record, this is not all in one mortar.
Anyway for estimating purposes is go with 1 pound per 5 gallons.

Dane--are you trying to blow this poor guy up? Haha....A pound for 5 gal is way too much!!! We use 130 grams [4.5oz] for 2 1/2 gal mines. Bill Corbett recommends using 1 1/4 oz bp per gallon of gas. Really don't want to "over lift" these things.
Just wanting to see this done safely---I know there is not a lot of info made public about the "how to" factor of building these [unless you are at an event where they do a seminar on them] --but this is one area where it is better not to experiment & stick to what has been tried & proven.

To Crab107--it would be interesting for you to cut back on the bp you are using for your half gallon shots and see if you loose anything in the height or spread of your fireball--You should be able to cut your lift in half and still get a good shot with 1 oz of BP--and if that works then you just saved a bunch of $$$ on black powder.

Derby187
09-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Terry teaches his class with 16oz for 5 gallon... So Dane is on point...
Bill c uses 1.25 per gallon... Both are very respected guys...
I'm going to shoot bill c & terry recipes 4",6",12" side by side next week and compare...
Bill c's tend to have fallout, and Terry's don't... Also Terry's are lifting water inadition to the fuel so the BP charge isn't as heavy as it seems...

Rick_In_Tampa
09-01-2016, 03:41 PM
I was fine till i met you guys...i blame you..lmao!! I just dont get why guys arent more into it. ITS FIRE!! IT GOES BOOM!! whats not to love about shooting fireworks!!! I guess not eveyone understands the "pyro bug".

Always glad to help! Lol...

PyroJoeNEPA
09-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Terry teaches his class with 16oz for 5 gallon... So Dane is on point...
Bill c uses 1.25 per gallon... Both are very respected guys...
I'm going to shoot bill c & terry recipes 4",6",12" side by side next week and compare...
Bill c's tend to have fallout, and Terry's don't... Also Terry's are lifting water inadition to the fuel so the BP charge isn't as heavy as it seems...

Please post the results of your findings. I would be very interested to see what the differences are. We also use a slug of water with ours--seems to eliminate any low level fallout. Are you shooting straight fuel or using a water slug? Appreciate your input!

Derby187
09-01-2016, 05:20 PM
I'm shooting both recipes exactly as they were given to me...

bdc1211
09-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Please post the results of your findings. I would be very interested to see what the differences are. We also use a slug of water with ours--seems to eliminate any low level fallout. Are you shooting straight fuel or using a water slug? Appreciate your input!

PyroJoeNEPA, 4" tubes we use 1oz bottles, 6" tubes we use 4oz. bottles and 12" tubes we uses 16oz bottles. We do use enough water to cover the charge at the bottom. This is a combination that has worked VERY well for us. I am lucky enough to have a buddy who can make the tubes we use. We have literally shot hundreds of shots of each size and again, this method works very well for us. Its basically Terry G.'s method.

Brian C.

PyroJoeNEPA
09-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Thanks for your input Brian. The tubes you use are sweet with the bored out gussets & carry handles. Ours are 1/4" steel and weigh a ton!!
I'd like to come out to the NLPC shoot on the 10th but have a CrackerJacks event on the 9th & 10th & I can't miss the annual "melon misting" competition!

Crab107
09-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Dane--are you trying to blow this poor guy up? Haha....A pound for 5 gal is way too much!!! We use 130 grams [4.5oz] for 2 1/2 gal mines. Bill Corbett recommends using 1 1/4 oz bp per gallon of gas. Really don't want to "over lift" these things.
Just wanting to see this done safely---I know there is not a lot of info made public about the "how to" factor of building these [unless you are at an event where they do a seminar on them] --but this is one area where it is better not to experiment & stick to what has been tried & proven.

To Crab107--it would be interesting for you to cut back on the bp you are using for your half gallon shots and see if you loose anything in the height or spread of your fireball--You should be able to cut your lift in half and still get a good shot with 1 oz of BP--and if that works then you just saved a bunch of $$$ on black powder.

I will give it a try saturday. I just wanted to be sure i got all of the methanol out of the pipe with little fallout. I will let you know how it goes.
I appreciate all the feed back on this guys. Thanks for helping me keep it safe. I tend to be one to experiment with things. Thats why i like the cobra. I can get waaaaay back to fire my shot..lol.
IVE BEEN LOOKING ALL OVER FOR THE PGI CLASS. DOES IT EVER COME TO GEORGIA?? There is absolutley nothing as far as classes go here in Ga. There is a pro fireworks company i thought about calling just to see if i can volunteer and get some advice..etc

Derby187
09-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Bill c & terry info is for regular gasoline...
I would have to say methanol will have a different lift ratio...

bdc1211
09-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Thanks for your input Brian. The tubes you use are sweet with the bored out gussets & carry handles. Ours are 1/4" steel and weigh a ton!!
I'd like to come out to the NLPC shoot on the 10th but have a CrackerJacks event on the 9th & 10th & I can't miss the annual "melon misting" competition!

Joe, I'll be sure to include you in any future events. We'd love to have you and your whole crew out here to shoot! I think we are going to try and "mist" a few melons too! LOL

Fire Art
09-02-2016, 11:01 AM
Joe, I'll be sure to include you in any future events. We'd love to have you and your whole crew out here to shoot! I think we are going to try and "mist" a few melons too! LOL

You guys will both be at the Fire Art Open Shoot on 10/15. May have to have a monitor to keep you both in line.

bdc1211
09-02-2016, 01:18 PM
You guys will both be at the Fire Art Open Shoot on 10/15. May have to have a monitor to keep you both in line.

In line???!!!! Never!!!!! LOL

PyroJoeNEPA
09-02-2016, 03:34 PM

Har Har Har --not gonna happen! Don't know what a line is!