View Full Version : 8 Inch Gun Question

joewad
08-28-2016, 02:17 PM
Longtime 1.4 user and fairly new to the 1.3 "game". I spent most of last winter building 3, 4 and 5 inch racks. I was thinking about going a bit bigger next year so I am considering a few 8 inch shots. Question can you use racks with 8 inch guns or must they be buried? Reviewing NFPA 1123, section 4.5 I see one entry that anything bigger than 8 inch must be buried while further on I read that anything bigger than 6 inch can't be racked. Color me confused.

vegassalute
08-28-2016, 08:10 PM
I would say bury them regardless of regulatory mandate or best practice. I'm just speaking for myself mind you, I am far more comfortable about the safety of my people and me (not to mention audiences) when anything larger than 6's are buried. Again, only my unsolicited two cents. I'm sure some of the long-time 1.3 pros on here may consider me overly conservative, but it's all about what helps you sleep at night. Either way you end up going, be sure to post pics of your show, or at least the 8's!! I bet they'r'e going to be beauties!!!! Be careful and have fun in that order!!

PJ

Westpapyro
08-31-2016, 02:09 AM
Prefer them to be buried in the ground but if the tractor won't start don't forget you can still get a plastic drum, drop in 8" mortar tube and fill plastic drum with sand. We shoot are 8" shells at FireArt Demo's in something very similar to that.
Chuck

Northern Sky
08-31-2016, 08:30 AM
I'm sure Dave bis going to slam me for this but, I'd suggest having some fun with the new 1.3 you have and grow into the big stuff. Let's do a little jogging before entering the Boston Marathon.

Northern Sky
08-31-2016, 08:53 AM
Double post

Fire Art
08-31-2016, 09:21 AM
We use 8" racks and use barrels with sand for the 10s