PDA

View Full Version : Table of distances....help.

Jayvt
08-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Hi all, I did a search before posting, new member here but Dave did help me get my 54 awhile back.
I want to install a magazine, sounds simple right?
2 agents came to visit me yesterday for my renewal, I have been using contingency storage for the last 6 years.
The agent pointed specifically to table 555.219 and said that fireworks are considered low explosive except for bulk salutes, so I could use this table...(219) however, I have always been under the impression that I needed to use table 555.224.
If display fireworks are considered low explosive which table is correct?

Can someone with a magazine shed some light?
The answer will determine whether or not I can have a magazine.

Thanks in advance, and Dave, your CD I purchase many years ago got me where I am, thanks.

Jay in VT

Bazerk
08-25-2016, 04:12 PM
I was told to use 555.224 and thats what was used when they inspected my magazine for distance.

displayfireworks1
08-25-2016, 07:26 PM
Wow 6 years ago, i guess I have been helping people with the ATF license for a while now. Thank you for the feedback. You are following a typical pattern i see, you obtained the license and are now considering advancing further by getting your own magazine. I kept telling my critics it works the opposite of the way they wanted it to work. Not sure how long you have been following the forums before joining but forums member "Bezerk" is knowledgeable about explosive magazines. He just built his own. I helped someone in one of those New England states deal with the ATF on a magazine he built. The ATF license holder are pretty sparse in some areas, they are just not use to seeing private individuals with a magazine.They delayed approving him, i called and advocated for him and he obtained his license. Considering you are already ATF licensed you should not have an issue with getting a new magazine approved. One final note The ATF prefer not to be called "Agents". I know that kind of rolls off everyone's tongue. Like ATF Agent. Last her heard they are titled "Inspector". They work in what is called ATF Industry Operations.
http://www.myonlinemaps.com/images/vermont-map.gif

liame
08-25-2016, 08:37 PM
if i could use .219 (>1000lb) i could have a mag on current soil not having to build a pad on a swamp or buy more land.

Jayvt
08-26-2016, 07:23 AM
Wow 6 years ago, i guess I have been helping people with the ATF license for a while now. Thank you for the feedback. You are following a typical pattern i see, you obtained the license and are now considering advancing further by getting your own magazine. I kept telling my critics it works the opposite of the way they wanted it to work. Not sure how long you have been following the forums before joining but forums member "Bezerk" is knowledgeable about explosive magazines. He just built his own. I helped someone in one of those New England states deal with the ATF on a magazine he built. The ATF license holder are pretty sparse in some areas, they are just not use to seeing private individuals with a magazine.They delayed approving him, i called and advocated for him and he obtained his license. Considering you are already ATF licensed you should not have an issue with getting a new magazine approved. One final note The ATF prefer not to be called "Agents". I know that kind of rolls off everyone's tongue. Like ATF Agent. Last her heard they are titled "Inspector". They work in what is called ATF Industry Operations.
http://www.myonlinemaps.com/images/vermont-map.gif

Thanks Dave,
You've been at it awhile and I am thankful.....Won't call them agents next time!
There are very few licensees in VT, the inspector said that I was 1 of @200 and that includes all explosive licensees. Considering that we have a lot of quarrying (marble) I consider myself lucky. Last I knew there were only 2 companies in the business of fireworks displays.
Thanks Bezerk for your input...I'll get the correct answer...555.202 (b) fireworks are definitely defined as "low explosive" except salutes of course.

Jay in VT

Jayvt
08-26-2016, 07:29 AM
And just a follow up...If I have to conform to 555.224 wouldn't it be great if there was a table of distance for less than 500 pounds? I am a hobbyist and have never had that much weight stored ever. 1 pound of fireworks....150ft, a half a ton of fireworks, 150ft. Doesn't seem logical but I digress......

Jay In VT

liame
08-30-2016, 03:19 PM
i just got an email back from a ATF Industry Liaison saying:
"You would use the table at 555.224, unless you are storing bulk salutes (then you would use 555.218). While display fireworks do contain low explosives, they often also contain flash powder which is a high explosive."

Jayvt
08-30-2016, 04:31 PM
i just got an email back from a ATF Industry Liaison saying:
"You would use the table at 555.224, unless you are storing bulk salutes (then you would use 555.218). While display fireworks do contain low explosives, they often also contain flash powder which is a high explosive."

Thanks I appreciate you input. I do have the necessary 150 ft....but that puts the mag. right in the center of my lawn for all of the world to see

displayfireworks1
08-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Here is what I am showing in the state of Vermont based on 2012 records I have.
http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?4368-ATF-License-State-of-Vermont&highlight=vermont

liame
08-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Thanks I appreciate you input. I do have the necessary 150 ft....but that puts the mag. right in the center of my lawn for all of the world to see

yea the 150 means i would have to build a platform in the middle of a swamp in complete view of the world so i understand.