PDA

View Full Version : Gas fireball/first attempt

Crab107
08-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Made the dragons breath today guys. It went pretty well for a first try. Had a small amount of fallout and I don't think all the methanol burned up. May have been a little short on the lift charge. Used 4oz Goex 1Fg for lift. I have some cannon grade goex coming soon and will use it for my next attempt.
I have to agree with Dave on some of his videos about this technique..it needs a bigger boom. The lift is slow but it puts off a good heat flash at first and leaves a huge smoke ring after. I think it will add nice surprise to a show because no one will expect it.

I'm not as uneducated as I sound on the video..lol..just southern as hell. PLEASE FORGIVE THE LANGUAGE. I DROPPED AN F BOMB AT THE END OF THE VIDEO. WE WERE ALL EXTREMELY NERVOUS AND WERE HIDING BEHIND TREES.

https://youtu.be/zL00EkQigRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL00EkQigRE&feature=youtu.be

PYRODAN
08-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Looked good, didn't burn anything down, no one died....... I would call that a win !

215less
08-13-2016, 05:18 PM
nice.... thumbs up

Rick_In_Tampa
08-13-2016, 08:39 PM
lol... Awesome! Looks like it worked as advertised. So is the methanol a better/cheaper option than straight gasoline or even cremora?

Rick_In_Tampa
08-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Looked good, didn't burn anything down, no one died....... I would call that a win !

ROFLMAO... The bar is awful low there don't ya think?! lol.... OMG that was funny.

Crab107
08-13-2016, 10:34 PM
lol... Awesome! Looks like it worked as advertised. So is the methanol a better/cheaper option than straight gasoline or even cremora?

Methanol is supposed to add color. I saw a video on youtube of a rainbow gas fireball..4 tubes..green, red, violet, and orange i think. Ill try to find it and post it. It was freakin awesome!! Common chemistry trick is mixing methanol with boric acid for green flame. Just not sure how to incorporate that into a fireball from a 6" gun

Crab107
08-14-2016, 01:54 AM
https://youtu.be/S4arj7UNip8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4arj7UNip8&feature=youtu.be
Here it is guys. Go to 4:00 for the effect. It looks really cool

displayfireworks1
08-15-2016, 08:38 AM
Looks great , you even did a multi-color fire ball effect. I'll assume you or someone on that shoot is ATF licensed by the looks of the product used. I would suggest to add a salute effect to the fireball. Then when the flame lifts out of the pipe the audience hear a boom. It will add to the effect. Boom and flame together. You can do that one of a few ways. If you are experienced you can make a salute or get a small 2 or 3 inch titanium salute, place an electric match directly into it. Elevate the shell off of the ground. Take the electric match and connect it to the same position as the flame. Then when you press the Cobra button , you get boom and flame together. Using the example at 4:00 in your video. Two salutes would work fine with five flame effects.
Tell me how you got all five of those flames to go off together? How did you electric match it? All together in series?

Crab107
08-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Looks great , you even did a multi-color fire ball effect. I'll assume you or someone on that shoot is ATF licensed by the looks of the product used. I would suggest to add a salute effect to the fireball. Then when the flame lifts out of the pipe the audience hear a boom. It will add to the effect. Boom and flame together. You can do that one of a few ways. If you are experienced you can make a salute or get a small 2 or 3 inch titanium salute, place an electric match directly into it. Elevate the shell off of the ground. Take the electric match and connect it to the same position as the flame. Then when you press the Cobra button , you get boom and flame together. Using the example at 4:00 in your video. Two salutes would work fine with five flame effects.
Tell me how you got all five of those flames to go off together? How did you electric match it? All together in series?

That wasnt my video dave. That was a video i found with the multi color gas mine. I am in no way that advanced!! Lol. Sorry for the confusion!! I posted it to show you guys what i wanted to try out. Just need to get the formula for the colors worked out

The video in my original post was my first attempt at a gas fireball.

PGH_Pyro
08-15-2016, 04:00 PM
crab107 no offense taken on the "f bomb". that word is uttered in about every 3rd sentence I speak .
:p

Rick_In_Tampa
08-15-2016, 04:11 PM
Looks great , you even did a multi-color fire ball effect. I'll assume you or someone on that shoot is ATF licensed by the looks of the product used.

I can't watch the video here at work, but since I don't know a thing about the legalities behind making these things anyway, I'll ask you.

You don't need an ATF54 to make or shoot a cremora, do you? Or were you referring to the use of the electric match? I was toying with the idea of giving these a try for my next show using visco and a talon igniter. Would that require a 54?

Crab107
08-15-2016, 04:43 PM
Hell i dont know..lol.. Never cared much about laws out where I shoot. I guess i better find out if im going to be posting videos:confused:

You can but all the stuff legally to make these with, even the black powder.
That being said, you can buy all the chemicals to make drugs with as well..lmao..so i guess theres a limit as to what you can do. I got a cop friend i can ask that works in my county. Ill check with him.

Crab107
08-15-2016, 04:51 PM
crab107 no offense taken on the "f bomb". that word is uttered in about every 3rd sentence I speak .
:p

I truly believe swearing is an art..lol..like Ralphie said about his father ,in "A Christmas Story"
"He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay"

Crab107
08-15-2016, 04:54 PM
I can't watch the video here at work, but since I don't know a thing about the legalities behind making these things anyway, I'll ask you.

You don't need an ATF54 to make or shoot a cremora, do you? Or were you referring to the use of the electric match? I was toying with the idea of giving these a try for my next show using visco and a talon igniter. Would that require a 54?

BTW i used and E match on mine. And just to clarify again..that video is NOT mine. Its one i found while searching for colored gas mines to share with you guys. You all have seen my videos!! You know theres no way i could put on a show like that..YET..LOL

Rick_In_Tampa
08-15-2016, 08:06 PM
BTW i used and E match on mine. And just to clarify again..that video is NOT mine. Its one i found while searching for colored gas mines to share with you guys. You all have seen my videos!! You know theres no way i could put on a show like that..YET..LOL

Yeah.... I'm really questioning this now because at first I'm thinking, it's cremora! What's the big deal?! But then I see you used methanol. In Dave's videos I see people used gasoline and water. In every case you need to use a bag of gun powder. All of it is combined to create an explosion! So I can see where the ATF would require you to have an explosives license to build one of these things.

Then again, as Dave already pointed out, I shouldn't try to get inside the mind of the ATF and figure out why they do (or don't do!) what they do. lol... So, I thought I'd just ask. :rolleyes:

Clear as mud right?! lol...

Crab107
08-15-2016, 08:16 PM
I think itll be ok. I mean you can go to skylighter.com and order everything you need to make "ATF license required" fireworks and make them for yourself, 3", 4", 6" shells .
, whatever you want ..TOTALLY LEGAL. The only thing you cant do is sell it or give it to others. You can even make your own gun powder, flash powder, or anything else you need to make fireworks..legally.

displayfireworks1
08-15-2016, 09:16 PM
Rick stop analyzing. Buy a Cobra and get your ATF license. Get out there and shoot some fireworks. You live in Florida sign one of those dam bird nuisance papers and light something. Look at your neighbor Bezerk as an example.

Crab107
08-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Rick stop analyzing. Buy a Cobra and get your ATF license. Get out there and shoot some fireworks. You live in Florida sign one of those dam bird nuisance papers and light something. Look at your neighbor Bezerk as an example.

Yeah, Rick!! Tell'em dave!! Lol.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-16-2016, 03:48 PM

I shoot tons of 1.4G stuff every 4th! A Cobra is on the wish list for Santa this year. The 54 is a work in progress. Unlike Berzerk, I don't have space/land for a storage container. I live smack dab in the middle of an HOA community. So I need to find some contingency storage somewhere. You indicated you were working with a potential new sponsor here in Florida. Any update on that for us? Any chance they might offer contingency storage?

displayfireworks1
08-16-2016, 07:06 PM
Let me send that Florida person another email. Here in Pennsylvania where i live a big storm just came through and took out the power. I am using that generator I feature in my videos to run part of my house on a transfer box I installed. LOL I watched as soon as the cable came back, i fired up the computer. Let me send him an email and see what he wants to do.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-16-2016, 07:15 PM
Let me send that Florida person another email. Here in Pennsylvania where i live a big storm just came through and took out the power. I am using that generator I feature in my videos to run part of my house on a transfer box I installed. LOL I watched as soon as the cable came back, i fired up the computer. Let me send him an email and see what he wants to do.

If you sign him up and he's willing to do contingency storage, you're definitely getting a Christmas card from me this year!! :o

Good luck!!