PDA

View Full Version : 1st Proffesional shoot

aldude345
08-12-2016, 10:35 PM
I am super excited for my first shoot tomm and its with a proffesional company. One of the biggest in midwest. Got another next friday. Is anyone going to the last pgi display operators course in near St Louis next month? i will be there

chriskrc
08-13-2016, 08:19 AM
Great job brother have fun and be safe.

aldude345
08-14-2016, 04:13 PM
Was an amazing experience. He even let me shoot the how with the hand clicker that attached to the nighthawk firing system. I see u guys talk cobra all the time but this system was some thing else. Anyone have experience with it? I saw just the board was like 7 grand wow

Rick_In_Tampa
08-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Was an amazing experience. He even let me shoot the how with the hand clicker that attached to the nighthawk firing system. I see u guys talk cobra all the time but this system was some thing else. Anyone have experience with it? I saw just the board was like 7 grand wow

If the board alone is $7K, chances are I'll never touch one! Way too rich for my wallet. I'm guessing most folks opt for the Cobra system (and others) because they're NOT $7K or geared specifically for professional use, even though they can be scaled to do professional shows.

It's great that you're getting the professional experience!! I'm sure it was a thrill. Hopefully you can keep doing shows until one day they hire you full time! Now THAT would be the ultimate pyro dream IMHO. :cool:

SCPyrotechnician
08-16-2016, 07:51 PM
If the board alone is $7K, chances are I'll never touch one! Way too rich for my wallet. I'm guessing most folks opt for the Cobra system (and others) because they're NOT $7K or geared specifically for professional use, even though they can be scaled to do professional shows.

It's great that you're getting the professional experience!! I'm sure it was a thrill. Hopefully you can keep doing shows until one day they hire you full time! Now THAT would be the ultimate pyro dream IMHO. :cool:

Haha it's not all it's cracked up to be!

Rick_In_Tampa
08-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Haha it's not all it's cracked up to be!

It's a lot of hard work baking in the sun all day to set up. No doubt about it. But the end result is worth it. If I could figure out a way to get paid to do it!! Wow... That would be the bomb.

PGH_Pyro
08-17-2016, 09:24 AM
It's a lot of hard work baking in the sun all day to set up. No doubt about it. But the end result is worth it. If I could figure out a way to get paid to do it!! Wow... That would be the bomb.

or,... assuming it's not a precisely choreographed musical, you could avoid the baking in sun part and just hand-fire . (spend much less time in the field/sun and nobody needs skin cancer or heat-stroke !!!)

Rick_In_Tampa
08-17-2016, 10:27 AM
or,... assuming it's not a precisely choreographed musical, you could avoid the baking in sun part and just hand-fire . (spend much less time in the field/sun and nobody needs skin cancer or heat-stroke !!!)

Any reasonably sized show is going to require hours of setup time whether you hand fire or not. In Florida that means baking in the hot sun. At 4am it's already 80F with 95% humidity down here. So unless you're squibbing cakes and/or hand lighting them in your living room, it's going to be a hot, miserable experience. You just have to cover up, wear lots of sun screen, and drink lots of fluids. No other way around it.

displayfireworks1
08-17-2016, 10:28 AM
You are moving right along, you have your ATF Type 54 , took the PGI shooter course and now you are working with a professional fireworks company. Thanks for sharing your progress. I think that Nighthawk system is kind of played out. I would imagine if you seeing any of these systems for the first time , they are all impressive. Many of these older established companies made investments in some of these now older systems, thus they have no choice but to keep using them. Many of these older systems still get the job done.

aldude345
08-17-2016, 01:45 PM
You are moving right along, you have your ATF Type 54 , took the PGI shooter course and now you are working with a professional fireworks company. Thanks for sharing your progress. I think that Nighthawk system is kind of played out. I would imagine if you seeing any of these systems for the first time , they are all impressive. Many of these older established companies made investments in some of these now older systems, thus they have no choice but to keep using them. Many of these older systems still get the job done.

Thanks Dave. Yeah things have been playing out extremely well. Got 5 shoots now over the next 3 weeks. They are extremely busy company ha. Will get my five shows I need in no time other be able to apply for that stubborn state certification. One question I do have is do a lot of these bigger companies have sone kind of ship show policy to help with insurance and permitsee. Any info or experience would be extremely helpful because I might bring it up with my company soon

aldude345
08-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Wow this process for state certification is a huge pain in my behind. First i must submit an application to take the fire marshalls exam which is almost 1 month from today. U need to pass with a 70% score. U need to know strict minnesota leglistative statutes for fireworks and then u need to know the 2007 Minnesota Fire code and then the NFPA 1123....all that is in this exam and it costs good money to be able to purchase those books for study too.....its gonna be worth it though! :D not to mention needing 5 shows as an assistant which will come fast but then need to send 100 dollar check to state marshall too....sheez

aldude345
09-19-2016, 04:31 PM
I cant believe how fast the whole process is moving along. Got 7 shows in now and have my state exam on wednesday and i just passed the pgi course in eureka Missouri this past weekend. Will reduce state exam from 75 questions to 25 questions...in just a short 2 months i will have my federal and hopefully soon state and now the first step of Pgi complete. Its been a fun process and just picked up my first high quality 5 inch rack this past weekend..for any of you looking for high quality dirt cheap racks i found a guy in Sw Wisconsin if anyone is interested

liame
09-19-2016, 05:57 PM
Wow this process for state certification is a huge pain in my behind. First i must submit an application to take the fire marshalls exam which is almost 1 month from today. U need to pass with a 70% score. U need to know strict minnesota leglistative statutes for fireworks and then u need to know the 2007 Minnesota Fire code and then the NFPA 1123....all that is in this exam and it costs good money to be able to purchase those books for study too.....its gonna be worth it though! :D not to mention needing 5 shows as an assistant which will come fast but then need to send 100 dollar check to state marshall too....sheez

sounds like NH but we need 10 shows (5 with 2 diffrent people) with a min of 100 shells (3" min) each.

aldude345
09-19-2016, 09:12 PM
sounds like NH but we need 10 shows (5 with 2 diffrent people) with a min of 100 shells (3" min) each.

http://www.platteriverfireworks.com/shop/index.cfm

Geez 2 different people..never heard that one before... I dont know if your gonna find cheaper hdpe tubes then this guy offers them for...all the way to 16 inches lol. Extreme high quality construction and screws them in the bottom so they dont move at all and he de burs the tops of the tube. He can ship them for really reasonable... i got a 5 shot 5 inch rack made for a measly 82 bucks.. highly recommended

liame
09-19-2016, 10:21 PM
yea i dont know NH is odd with somethings...im trying to hook up with a local company and accomplish it thru their shows.