PDA

View Full Version : Excalibur Mortar Tube Dimensions

jamisonlm3
08-10-2016, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know the outside diamter of the moartar tubes supplied with escalibur artillery shells? I found this thread (http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/showthread.php?2566-Reusable-fireworks-launcher-with-reinforcing-sleeve&highlight=excalibur+tube), but I don't have any mortars of my own to compare. Since they're HDPE vs. the usual fiberglass or paper, the tubes from a case of excaliburs would make a nice little rack with a little modification.

Westpapyro
08-10-2016, 08:50 PM
I have some in my stash but fig 6 of that thread shows the dimensions?

Crab107
08-10-2016, 09:51 PM
I have some dr 11 hdpe. Just measured it and its 2 3/8" outside diameter. It may be cheaper just to buy the pipe. You can get it from a pipe supply place. Just call around

jamisonlm3
08-10-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm curious if the dimensions in the thread are the same as an acutal mortar tubes I would get with a case of excalibur. I'm mainly worried about the outside diameter at the top and bottom of the tube where the slleeve sits on the base as well as the length of the tube is from the top of the base to the top of the tube.

Crab107, I thought about doing that, but then I figured if I order by the case, I can modify the tubes by knocking the base off and making my own racks with them instead of buying them. I think the tubes you can buy from places like Pyroboom are better, but if I can save money by using what I already have, why not?

Crab107
08-10-2016, 11:51 PM
I'm curious if the dimensions in the thread are the same as an acutal mortar tubes I would get with a case of excalibur. I'm mainly worried about the outside diameter at the top and bottom of the tube where the slleeve sits on the base as well as the length of the tube is from the top of the base to the top of the tube.

Crab107, I thought about doing that, but then I figured if I order by the case, I can modify the tubes by knocking the base off and making my own racks with them instead of buying them. I think the tubes you can buy from places like Pyroboom are better, but if I can save money by using what I already have, why not?

Oh i got ya. You gotta try and save all you can in this hobby unless youre a millionaire..lol. If i had millions id probably blow 10,000 a month on fireworks just to goof off.

cmalloy513
08-10-2016, 11:53 PM
I actually just did a bunch of Excalibur tube repurposing and made a 10 shot rack and a 25 shot milk crate rack. The OD is about 2.4 in - the exact same as regular DR11 tubes you would get from pyroboom. They fit perfectly in my previously constructed 10 shot racks and perfectly in the milk crate. Hope this helps.

cmalloy513
08-10-2016, 11:58 PM

The only problem doing this is that the new excal tubes are a royal pain in the ass to take the sleeves off and remove the bases. I would not recommend doing this unless you have incredible patience and a sharp jig saw or table saw. Doing it by hand with a SHARP hand saw will run you around 5-10 mins per tube.

masterblaster
08-11-2016, 12:21 PM
from pyroboom's site:

HDPE DR11 plugged mortar tube. This is the most common tube we sell as it's the most universal fit for consumer shells. 12" long. 1.91" ID (inner diameter). 2.4" outside diameter. Secured with 4 staples. Can be used for all consumer canister, ball and mine shells. Also can be used for 1.75" salutes.

http://www.pyroboom.com/products.aspx?name=mortars

jamisonlm3
08-11-2016, 01:54 PM
Tools aren't a problem. 4 cuts on the table saw sled and the only thing left to do is to sand down the corners.