PDA

View Full Version : Best Consumer Firing Systems

vegassalute
08-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Good Afternoon:
I'd like to hear insights from fellow pyros for what you feel are best-in-class consumer firing systems. I have not yet obtained my ATF certification so regrettably, a professional Cobra solution isn't going to be an immediate option for me. So what say you? Does Cobra offer a consumer version of their hardware & software? Are there other consumer firing systems that are superior? Recommendations on the better quality squibbing materials that you've come across would be appreciated as well. I'm not looking for the cheapest, I'm looking for the most durable and highest & most reliable performance.

I looked through past conversations on this topic and the information is likely dated so I'm hoping to gain some fresh observations & feedback. Thanks everyone.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-07-2016, 07:23 PM
Vegas - For what it's worth, I've been looking at these systems for 8 months now. I've had a number of people tell me they use systems other than a Cobra, but so far I haven't had anyone tell me they're using something better than a Cobra. That speaks volumes to me about the quality and versatility of the product. Unfortunately, that quality (like anything else that's worthwhile) comes with a quality price tag. I'm trying to figure out now how I can justify the expense. I'm close.... Just not there yet.

As for squibbing material... The only consumer grade (non ATF54 available) squibbing material available that I'm aware of are the "firework initiators" from Dave's new sponsor MJG Technologies. Dave did a few videos on them and their performance and his (and others) reviews seem to be quite favorable. I would have no problem buying them.

I wish you luck in your search. Believe me... I'll be watching this thread closely to find out what is suggested!

masterblaster
08-07-2016, 07:33 PM
Firewire Initiator

Playingwithfire85
08-08-2016, 01:21 AM
Based on the limits you have set, you lined yourself up to get the same answer repeatedly of "just buy the cobra system". I have had several different systems and they are all very reliable and durable but the best of the "mid range" is the cobra. Yes there are systems out there that can be considered better but they are way out of comfortable price ranges than most. Cobra does not offer a consumer version unless you're looking for their cheaper remotes that are not programmable for scripting.

Shootit
08-08-2016, 07:10 AM
Just to clarify, a professional system does not mean you need a license to buy it.
consumer vs professional means whatever someone wants it to mean.
I have shot professional shows with the cheap systems most call consumer.

Some would call the cobra a consumer system compared to what the big boys use.
Also there are systems that I would buy instead of a cobra depending on your needs or wants.

vegassalute
08-08-2016, 08:05 AM
Just to clarify, a professional system does not mean you need a license to buy it.
consumer vs professional means whatever someone wants it to mean.
I have shot professional shows with the cheap systems most call consumer.

Some would call the cobra a consumer system compared to what the big boys use.
Also there are systems that I would buy instead of a cobra depending on your needs or wants.

Ok I didn't realize that. So I could conceivably purchase the Cobra system without yet having obtained my ATF 54? If that is the case then my next steps are clear.

PYRODAN
08-08-2016, 12:14 PM
You do not need a license to buy the Cobra. I do not have a 54 at this time and I have the 18R remote and 3 modules. I am planning on getting the 18R2 remote next year and 3 more mods. I use the Firewire initiators and am happy with them.

djsmurf
08-08-2016, 11:33 PM
Ok I didn't realize that. So I could conceivably purchase the Cobra system without yet having obtained my ATF 54? If that is the case then my next steps are clear.

Correct anyone can buy a cobra not license needed. You can then use either Firewire Initiator a consumer 1.4g type of e-match or talon clips, the 18m's have settings for each.

Crab107
08-09-2016, 12:12 AM
Good Afternoon:
I'd like to hear insights from fellow pyros for what you feel are best-in-class consumer firing systems. I have not yet obtained my ATF certification so regrettably, a professional Cobra solution isn't going to be an immediate option for me. So what say you? Does Cobra offer a consumer version of their hardware & software? Are there other consumer firing systems that are superior? Recommendations on the better quality squibbing materials that you've come across would be appreciated as well. I'm not looking for the cheapest, I'm looking for the most durable and highest & most reliable performance.

I looked through past conversations on this topic and the information is likely dated so I'm hoping to gain some fresh observations & feedback. Thanks everyone.

just get the cobra. I bought 2 different firing systems. 1 from china which doesnt work and the idiot i emailed about it couldnt even speak english much less write a sentence that made any damn sense. The second one i got from the US. It works but it looks much like the same system i bought from china only put togethet a little better and cost twice as much for less ques...so in my frustration i bought the cobra. Its easy to use, it works, and theres all kinds of stuff you can do with the basic model..yeah its expensive but you just cant beat quality my friend. I watched just about every tutorial on it before i got it and it will do it all. Check it out on youtube..dave and scott both have great vidoes on it.

JoSlicknuts
08-09-2016, 09:44 AM
I've always had tremendous luck with a Bic. They are reliable and affordable. Much more rewarding than pressing a button.

masterblaster
08-09-2016, 10:45 AM
what about the 32c SparkFire system? you can daisy chain the mods together as well. Cobra only 18 cues and each mod is wicked expensive :-/

masterblaster
08-09-2016, 11:02 AM
Should have added the links to the comment:

http://remotefiringsystems.com/sparkfire-i32-32-cue-remote-wireless-firing-system-with-cn36-port/

http://remotefiringsystems.com/renegade-32-cue-slat-in-se300-case/

Above are 64 cues in cases for $492. You would need to purchase the cable to chain them. You can also upgrade the transmitter for relatively cheap - $189.

liame
08-09-2016, 11:36 AM
the 3 i am debating between is the Cobra, FireTEK, and firestorm each have there own pros and cons as everything does

http://easypyro.com/firestorm-firing-system

esgrillo
08-12-2016, 10:15 PM
Good Afternoon:

I will admit I am not super familiar with some of the other mid priced systems out there but I do have a Cobra and am very pleased. One thing not sure others do well is scripting. It is super easy to fully automate your show for one button firing so you can enjoy the show too. In addition the Audiobox is an accessory that is really unique and can make a backyard show look and sound very professional.

The consistently upgrade software to allow more features and have lots of other hardware accessories you can use to customize your system. Finally the owner Scott is top notch. He provides a lot of the customer support directly (not sure how he can still do that with all the systems out there) and will work with you on any question you can imagine. Check out my show and you can see some of the timing with music you can do.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-13-2016, 08:31 PM
I will admit I am not super familiar with some of the other mid priced systems out there but I do have a Cobra and am very pleased. One thing not sure others do well is scripting. It is super easy to fully automate your show for one button firing so you can enjoy the show too. In addition the Audiobox is an accessory that is really unique and can make a backyard show look and sound very professional.

The consistently upgrade software to allow more features and have lots of other hardware accessories you can use to customize your system. Finally the owner Scott is top notch. He provides a lot of the customer support directly (not sure how he can still do that with all the systems out there) and will work with you on any question you can imagine. Check out my show and you can see some of the timing with music you can do.

The scripting feature is the one that put Cobra over the top for me. Especially since I can do it in Excel and it doesn't cost me anything extra. Still not over the moon about the 18 cue limitation, but like everything else in life, it's a trade off.