PDA

View Full Version : Manufacturing Defect With Some 007 Version Talon - 008 Version OK

esgrillo
08-02-2016, 09:41 AM
First I didn't even know there were different version talons until a couple weeks ago! If you look at the clip of the talon there will be 007 or 008 stamped on it. The problem is with the 007s in configurations when you have more than 4 wired in parallel.

I ran into a problem this 4th of July with my talon igniters. I had several effects that I had set up to have 5 talons in parallel fire off a single LiPo 18m cue. This was well within the specifications recommended by Cobra for a LiPo system module. The spec is up to 8 talons in parallel for that battery type 18m. None of these 5 parallel sets fired. Zero. Of course I did the field check the next day on the wiring and could not find any issues.

I took the same modules and attached 5 talons in parallel with some test fuses and duplicated the problem. None fired. I tried with 4 talons and no problem, all fired. At that point I thought there was an issue with the module, it was new for this year and never been used before. Contacted Cobra and got lots of great help from Scott and Joel. I sent a couple videos and confirmed some settings like talon vs ematch mode and came to the conclusion that the version talon I had could be a problem. They heard some other usnrs having a problem similar.

Cobra sent me some 008 version talons for a test and got them yesterday. Set up 8 of these in parallel and all fired on that same module. No problem. This confirmed the issue is with the 007 talons. I also had some Falcon II igniters left over from last year and the module would fire 8 of those as well. Bottom line is that some 007 talons have manufacturing defects. I don't know if this will occur with all 007 talons out there but all of mine did/do this.

There is a way to test if you have bad ones. Check the resistance. The bad ones for me have a reading of about 2.8 ohm on the 200 scale and the good ones about 18 on the 20K scale. There is a huge difference in the resistance.

As mentioned this only is a problem in more extreme wiring set up as I know most shows will not have 5 or more talons in parallel but when you take the time to set all that up and run scab wire all over the place you sure want them to fire! Cobra does not plan on shipping 007 versions in the future but other vendors who knows.