View Full Version : Next Step

liame
07-29-2016, 04:13 PM
so i am looking to take the next step. currently im going to the local fireworks store picking up a few cakes, and a few boxes of mortars and setting them off a few chained here a few individual. how should i go about learning what i need (online if possible) to step up?

~Liam

displayfireworks1
07-29-2016, 04:40 PM
You can't find the hundreds of videos I posted on this website and YouTube showing great detail how to setup a fireworks display, wireless fireworks systems and hundreds of other fireworks related subjects in those videos. Umm let me think where a good place to start on line is?

Bigjohnson
07-29-2016, 04:43 PM
YouTube is always your friend. You just have to learn to stay away from the bs. I learned how to build my motor in street/strip car off alot of videos. For linking them together go with daves Magic tape. It's available at uhaul stores. I had always used painters tape but this stuff has a better adhesive

You are also going to want to figure out the times of your cakes and how fast you want everything to go up. Find the videos of the cakes online and see how long they last. That way you can fuse accordingly as they have different speeds

PYRODAN
07-29-2016, 04:49 PM
First I would evaluate your shoot site. How big can you safely go? The worst thing to happen is for some one to get hurt or damage some property. That gives all of us a black eye. Then start watching Dave's videos.

liame
07-29-2016, 05:14 PM
You can't find the hundreds of videos I posted on this website and YouTube showing great detail how to setup a fireworks display, wireless fireworks systems and hundreds of other fireworks related subjects in those videos. Umm let me think where a good place to start on line is?

apologies i just found those.

PGH_Pyro
07-29-2016, 11:35 PM
best way to learn this craft is to work along side of experienced pyro veterans. daves vids help, too .
also --- go to PGI summer gathering. immense load of educational info., to be had , there, as well .

Rick_In_Tampa
07-29-2016, 11:43 PM
so i am looking to take the next step. currently im going to the local fireworks store picking up a few cakes, and a few boxes of mortars and setting them off a few chained here a few individual. how should i go about learning what i need (online if possible) to step up?

~Liam

1. You first need to acknowledge and come to terms with the fact that your social life is now officially over. :o

2. Next, come to terms with the fact that (if you haven't already saved up for it) you're going to need Lasik to fix your eyes after the weeks and months of watching videos takes it's toll.

3. Determine your budget and start saving! Take into account expanding in the years to come. Rome wasn't built in a day. Unless you're a trust fund baby, you're not going to crush your neighbors display(s) your first year. Take into account material like boards, glue, different types of fusing, mortar racks, firing system, etc. It's not all going to be just fireworks!

4. If your budget is less than $1K, look at the 200G cakes. You can do a great show using just 200G cakes and few 500G and/or mortars as a finale.

5. Don't overthink it! My first year I was on the ground measuring the spacing between cakes, timing fuse and measuring it to the inth-degree to make sure everything went off exactly as planned... All a big waste of time and effort. Unless you're using ematch and a Cobra system (or equivalent) the best you're going to get is close. And close is going to have to be close enough. The videos will give you a good indication of how long each cake fires, and you can use the correct fuse and length to ensure you have the overlap you need so there are no "black sky" moments. But it's going to happen. It's inevitable.

6. Most importantly of all... HAVE FUN WITH IT!! Designing the show and building it is half the fun for me. It takes months of planning and building to put on a 20 min show. Enjoy the ride!

7. Video your setup and show!! If something doesn't go right, you should be able to go back and figure out why and fix it for the next show. If you can't, post the pics and videos on here and there are lots of very smart, experienced pyros in here who can offer advice.

Good luck!!

Crab107
07-30-2016, 01:19 AM
1. You first need to acknowledge and come to terms with the fact that your social life is now officially over. :o

2. Next, come to terms with the fact that (if you haven't already saved up for it) you're going to need Lasik to fix your eyes after the weeks and months of watching videos takes it's toll.

3. Determine your budget and start saving! Take into account expanding in the years to come. Rome wasn't built in a day. Unless you're a trust fund baby, you're not going to crush your neighbors display(s) your first year. Take into account material like boards, glue, different types of fusing, mortar racks, firing system, etc. It's not all going to be just fireworks!

4. If your budget is less than $1K, look at the 200G cakes. You can do a great show using just 200G cakes and few 500G and/or mortars as a finale.

5. Don't overthink it! My first year I was on the ground measuring the spacing between cakes, timing fuse and measuring it to the inth-degree to make sure everything went off exactly as planned... All a big waste of time and effort. Unless you're using ematch and a Cobra system (or equivalent) the best you're going to get is close. And close is going to have to be close enough. The videos will give you a good indication of how long each cake fires, and you can use the correct fuse and length to ensure you have the overlap you need so there are no "black sky" moments. But it's going to happen. It's inevitable.

6. Most importantly of all... HAVE FUN WITH IT!! Designing the show and building it is half the fun for me. It takes months of planning and building to put on a 20 min show. Enjoy the ride!

7. Video your setup and show!! If something doesn't go right, you should be able to go back and figure out why and fix it for the next show. If you can't, post the pics and videos on here and there are lots of very smart, experienced pyros in here who can offer advice.

Good luck!!

Number 5..lol..i did the same thing..measuring to the inch on fuse. Totally did not go how i had pictured.

Like rick said. Its gonna be expensive i...ve got $200 in mortar tubes alone, not counting the racks i made glue, wood, screws..etc.

I bought fireworks, got fast fuse..found this damn website and now im in head over heels with electronics..ugh!! Welcome to the pyro world..lol

Rick_In_Tampa
07-30-2016, 02:06 AM
Number 5..lol..i did the same thing..measuring to the inch on fuse. Totally did not go how i had pictured.

Like rick said. Its gonna be expensive i...ve got $200 in mortar tubes alone, not counting the racks i made glue, wood, screws..etc.

I bought fireworks, got fast fuse..found this damn website and now im in head over heels with electronics..ugh!! Welcome to the pyro world..lol

I forgot to add:

8. Look for a part time job to pay for everything!

Westpapyro
07-30-2016, 11:42 AM
9. Find and network with other pyros and clubs in your area.

masterblaster
07-30-2016, 07:41 PM
I did my first display this year on boards with liquid nails etc.... figured out all the fusing from YT vids. Never even tested any of it. It's super easy to do. It took me about 3 days in total to figure out how I wanted everything, setup etc... Final price was just above $2k for the fireworks and all the supplies. I had no idea what I was doing, but it ended up beautiful and the 50 something people that were there really loved it. Now, after doing that with no clue, I've learned a LOT by reading everything I can find about electronic firing, setting up sequences etc...

I think the best thing to do is just go do it. Take pics of all your setups for reference later. Have someone video it also for future reference. You'll be able to expand on your own ideas quickly and easily... and you'll love every minute of it :)

PYRODAN
07-30-2016, 08:51 PM
It helps to document everything. All items shot, board layout, fusing layout and type. Or timing if you are electric firing.That way you have a reference for next time. Also, the day after the show write down what you liked, and what you didn't.

masterblaster
07-30-2016, 09:30 PM
It helps to document everything. All items shot, board layout, fusing layout and type. Or timing if you are electric firing.That way you have a reference for next time. Also, the day after the show write down what you liked, and what you didn't.

great advice. I made an excel sheet the next morning with the goods and the bads. it helps you open your mind to new ideas while everything is still fresh up there...

liame
07-31-2016, 12:07 PM
thank you all for the responses.

Good luck!!

This is a great start for me thank you!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-31-2016, 12:31 PM
9. Find and network with other pyros and clubs in your area.

Good call!! Clubs are an invaluable resource for learning how get into this hobby without having to take out a second mortgage on the house.

MontanaMike
08-05-2016, 01:02 PM
When I think back on how we used to do our neighborhood show I cringe and marvel at the same time. I cringe because of how boring it must have been for the crowd, and I marvel that we didn't blow any of our fingers off trying to light everything fast. We didn't know about firing systems, fast-fuse, or anything. Of course being in the hinterlands of Montana and 6 hours from the nearest large fireworks store didn't help!

Just prioritize what you want to add to your setup and build it up as you can afford. I'd say the most important thing to buy first is a good array of mortar racks -- and a few rolls of fast and slow fuse. (I also cringe when I think about how we used to reload all those "amateur" reloadable tubes!) Then you can add a firing system later - start with just a couple of modules and add more.

After e-firing our show for 2 years, the best compliment we've gotten is, the local fire department is asking us about possibly firing THEIR show next year!