PDA

View Full Version : Laser Range Finders - Pros & Cons

Pyro_Rich
07-27-2016, 05:15 PM
My Laser Range finder just 'kicked the bucket'. It got banged around too much and now it's dead. :(

Looking to buy a new Laser Range Finder that has descent optics and is accurate within +/- 10 feet at 200 yards. I'll compensate at my end by adding the distance (plus additional distance) based upon the tested accuracy and specifications of the unit.

To you guys that shoot professional 1.3 fireworks displays Please tell us what Laser Range Finder you have used as well as its pros and cons. With the current price of technology I'm sure there's got to be something suitable within the $200 range.

displayfireworks1
07-27-2016, 06:47 PM
I know many display companies are using Google Earth to determine the suitability of a shoot site prior to a professional display. I don't know much about these, maybe some of the other members can make recommendations. I think these things are based on maximum range. How far do you want to go? LOL Reminds of a sign I saw at a speed shop back in the day. It said "Speed cost money, now how fast do you want to go?". Rich how far do you want to go? LOL

Playingwithfire85
07-27-2016, 11:45 PM
My Laser Range finder just 'kicked the bucket'. It got banged around too much and now it's dead. :(

Looking to buy a new Laser Range Finder that has descent optics and is accurate within +/- 10 feet at 200 yards. I'll compensate at my end by adding the distance (plus additional distance) based upon the tested accuracy and specifications of the unit.

To you guys that shoot professional 1.3 fireworks displays Please tell us what Laser Range Finder you have used as well as its pros and cons. With the current price of technology I'm sure there's got to be something suitable within the $200 range.

Do not buy anything under the brand Wildgame Innovations. I know several people including myself who have purchased different models and they all have power leaks and drain battery within a short amount of time (sometimes within one day without any use at all).

djsmurf
07-27-2016, 11:48 PM
I use a Halo xrt6 their precise to +/- 1 yard and weather resistant and right around the $100 mark, I also have a cheap measuring wheel. Like Dave said google earth or google maps is a good starting point. You just need to be prepared for new construction that might not be on maps yet.

Pyro_Rich
08-02-2016, 10:24 AM
We currently use Google Earth but images are not always current. 'Walk wheels' / 'measuring wheels' are nice but after using a laser range finder you don't really want to go backwards. Looking on e-bay I see the Halo xrt6 and see it's made by Wildgame Innovations. The Halo xrt6 does have very good reviews and for the price looks like a sweet deal.

Thanks for the replies & recommendations,
Rich