View Full Version : Red White and Blue Wall Effect

Rick_In_Tampa
07-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Fellow pyro's! I need your help. I am trying to design a very specific effect for my show next year. So far I cannot find anything that fits the bill.

I want to design a "wall" of red, white, and blue as a show opener or pre-finale. I want the "wall" to extend from the ground up to at least 20' high. I've found 500G cakes that shoot red, white and blue peony shells that explode 200' high. Not looking for that. I'm looking for something like a fountain or a roman candle or cake that shoots a steady stream of the same color so I can line them up and build this red, white, and blue wall effect.

I hope this makes sense.

The gentlemen from WF Boom is assisting and I appreciate his help immensely. I thought I'd open it up to the rest of the community to see if anyone else had any ideas that might fit the bill.

Appreciate any help you folks can offer.

Rick

Bigjohnson
07-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Some slice cakes might look good. Like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YLkkm58zKv8

ras1986
07-27-2016, 08:14 PM
76 pro line gerbs they shoot 15 foot high. Hang them upside down for a waterfall effect.

Westpapyro
07-27-2016, 08:49 PM
From experience please be careful, hanging anything upside down that is not intended to be can result in an explosion of said firework! Please use a waterfall effect in 1.3 or 1.4. But they only come in silver/gold, but you could use some red and blue strobe pots to enhance the effectiveness.

Crab107
07-27-2016, 09:47 PM
Fellow pyro's! I need your help. I am trying to design a very specific effect for my show next year. So far I cannot find anything that fits the bill.

I want to design a "wall" of red, white, and blue as a show opener or pre-finale. I want the "wall" to extend from the ground up to at least 20' high. I've found 500G cakes that shoot red, white and blue peony shells that explode 200' high. Not looking for that. I'm looking for something like a fountain or a roman candle or cake that shoots a steady stream of the same color so I can line them up and build this red, white, and blue wall effect.

I hope this makes sense.

The gentlemen from WF Boom is assisting and I appreciate his help immensely. I thought I'd open it up to the rest of the community to see if anyone else had any ideas that might fit the bill.

Rick

Awe man! That would be cool!! Makes perfect sense..maybe you could do a mix of waterfall effect and fountain?? Like stagger them every few feet..fountain...3-5ft...waterfall...etc. Im goin to a fireworks store this week..ill look around for ideas. Im going to pick up one of those "Addiction" cakes from Jakes fireworks. Its fast..

Pyro Paul
07-27-2016, 09:54 PM
Hey Rick, sounds like you're looking for a mine type fan cake. Here's one of my favorites, one heckuva firework by brothers. https://youtu.be/wyqT9ricRbE

Pyro Paul
07-27-2016, 10:01 PM
I also found some red, white and blue roman candles with crackling called American lancers by brothers. Seems that I've seen some of those mine cakes in red white and blue also. I guess the previous one is red white and green... my bad.

PyroJoeNEPA
07-27-2016, 10:27 PM
Red Razzle & Silver Razzle will give you two of the three colors--haven't found an all blue "comet" cake yet to pair with the other two--but this is a start.

cmalloy513
07-27-2016, 10:36 PM
Before Jakes slowed it down, Frontlines by world class literally did exactly what you are looking for. It's a zipper cake that used to shoot really fast. Since its been slowed down its absolute crap now

cmalloy513
07-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Old verision - https://youtu.be/blnEplGtyVY
New verision - https://youtu.be/fwE0ah3N3aQ

Crab107
07-27-2016, 11:05 PM

Yeah...that is crap. Why would you do that?? Totally ruined it!!!

Pyro Paul
07-27-2016, 11:11 PM
That can be fixed... I believe Dave did a vid on speeding up cakes, I think he used quick match to do it though.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-28-2016, 05:13 AM
Red Razzle & Silver Razzle will give you two of the three colors--haven't found an all blue "comet" cake yet to pair with the other two--but this is a start.

DING DING DING DING!!!! I think we have a winner! (If there's a blue razzle out there) That's about as close to the effect I'm looking for that I've see so far.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-28-2016, 05:16 AM
Some slice cakes might look good. Like this https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YLkkm58zKv8

Love the slice cakes! The one you posted is awesome. The problem I have is the space I have to shoot. I can't shoot something that goes out that far. That's why I'm looking to go straight up.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-28-2016, 05:20 AM
Awe man! That would be cool!! Makes perfect sense..maybe you could do a mix of waterfall effect and fountain?? Like stagger them every few feet..fountain...3-5ft...waterfall...etc. Im goin to a fireworks store this week..ill look around for ideas. Im going to pick up one of those "Addiction" cakes from Jakes fireworks. Its fast..

Thanks man! Good ideas. Didn't think of that. If you see anything during your shopping trip that you think might work, please let me know!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-28-2016, 05:25 AM

Looks like it went from 10 seconds to 50 seconds. I see why they did it, but you're right. It lost a LOT in the effect department. I thing something in the 20-25 second range would have been a much better option.

vegassalute
07-28-2016, 07:07 AM
I too have used Dave's method for speeding up cakes by tapping into the base of the cake guns with quick match. The results using the method were terrific.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-28-2016, 07:22 AM
I too have used Dave's method for speeding up cakes by tapping into the base of the cake guns with quick match. The results using the method were terrific.

Is it easy enough to swap out the visco? I don't have a 54 (yet!) so quick match isn't an option for me.

jknepp1954
07-28-2016, 07:43 AM
Actually Joe - we have a comet cake assort called Patriotic Comets (Windmill Brand) - red, silver (white) BLue - have had them for 3 yrs now...lol
These are very similar to the RAZZLES -

tongpopyro
07-28-2016, 11:07 AM
11:08 into my video you'll see patriotic comets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siVVHSkWk0M

ilovecrackle
07-28-2016, 12:02 PM
Actually Joe - we have a comet cake assort called Patriotic Comets (Windmill Brand) - red, silver (white) BLue - have had them for 3 yrs now...lol

I got a case of the patriotic comets about 4-5 years ago (under a different brand name though). They are nice but I Still have half a case of them left. PGI is coming up so I think its time to get rid of them all at the same time. :p

Crab107
07-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Wfboom has a cake called blue rush. I got some for labor day. Maybe you could mix that cake with the razzles for the blue effect if all else fails

PyroJoeNEPA
07-28-2016, 04:41 PM
Love the slice cakes! The one you posted is awesome. The problem I have is the space I have to shoot. I can't shoot something that goes out that far. That's why I'm looking to go straight up.
It is very easy to "reconfigure" the slice cakes to have them shoot straight up--or take a couple of the tubes of of each end so the fan doesn't spread so wide--and you can use the tubes as individual "one shots" straight up or any way you want. The tubes are just glued to a piece of cardboard with some strands of Black Match [what is inside quick match--and that is covered with paper tape. Take the tubes off & glue them to another piece of cardboard pointing straight up.
**I have re-fused these with yellow fast fuse & lit them from one end [instead of the middle] to make them "zip" from one side to the other instead of fire "all at once".

It sounds like Joyce has the answer to your question with the Patriotic cakes. Have to get some next time I see you Joyce!!!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-29-2016, 01:22 AM

I actually e-mailed the Pyro King folks who sell the razzle cakes and asked if they have (or can get) a blue razzle. They responded and told me they've been trying to get a blue razzle for years. They said is extremely expensive and hard to make a true blue effect, and it normally turns our purplish anyway.

I see plenty of pure blue fireworks every year so I'm not sure I understand that answer, but that's what they told me. Maybe it has something to do with the composition/formula they need for the "razzle."

Rick_In_Tampa
07-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Wfboom has a cake called blue rush. I got some for labor day. Maybe you could mix that cake with the razzles for the blue effect if all else fails

Yeah... I had a case of Blue Rush in my show this year. It was a decent cake. It does illustrate my point though that you can get true blue effects. So I'm not sure why the Pyro King folks said what they said...

Rick_In_Tampa
07-29-2016, 09:41 AM
I got a case of the patriotic comets about 4-5 years ago (under a different brand name though). They are nice but I Still have half a case of them left. PGI is coming up so I think its time to get rid of them all at the same time. :p

I saw the cakes. Then I saw their website. $1K minimum order. Not looking for a wall quite that big! lol...

Rick_In_Tampa
07-29-2016, 09:42 AM

The one place I looked had a $1K minimum order policy. Do you have a minimum? I'm already loving the 30% year round discount for pyro club members and Pyro Talk members!

jknepp1954
07-29-2016, 06:50 PM
The one place I looked had a $1K minimum order policy. Do you have a minimum? I'm already loving the 30% year round discount for pyro club members and Pyro Talk members!
Yes - it is our policy of $1000 min - sorry about that....
however i do make exception to that rule a few times a yr. Are you going to PGI or have a friend who is going to PGI? for the present time - that is the exception.
Joyce

Rick_In_Tampa
07-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Yes - it is our policy of $1000 min - sorry about that....
however i do make exception to that rule a few times a yr. Are you going to PGI or have a friend who is going to PGI? for the present time - that is the exception.
Joyce

Actually I do have a buddy headed to PGI! He's a member of our pyro guild FPAG.

pyrofan4life
08-03-2016, 09:36 PM

I hope this makes sense.

Rick

It sounds like you want something like this - Check 1:15 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tofqVqW0UdM
I used brocade mines to achieve my golden wall. That was six 1.5" mines across a 30ft front. The wall was at 75-100ft tall and looked really cool up close. I haven't seen that effect in any different colors yet. I'm thinking about using go-getter mines like these - http://www.76fireworks.com/fireworks_videos/Mines/MN210_Red_Go_Getter_Mine_50mm - to achieve a different yet similar wall effect.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-05-2016, 10:46 AM
It sounds like you want something like this - Check 1:15 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tofqVqW0UdM
I used brocade mines to achieve my golden wall. That was six 1.5" mines across a 30ft front. The wall was at 75-100ft tall and looked really cool up close. I haven't seen that effect in any different colors yet. I'm thinking about using go-getter mines like these - http://www.76fireworks.com/fireworks_videos/Mines/MN210_Red_Go_Getter_Mine_50mm - to achieve a different yet similar wall effect.

The "golden wall" you created would fit the bill if I could use red, white/silver, and blue brocade mines to do it. This is what I'm not understanding. I keep hearing and I keep reading that blue is just one color that NO ONE has yet been able to perfect in a firework. Yet every year I buy and use and see blue effects in fireworks. Why in the world does NO ONE make the specific effect I need for my wall?!?! Grrrr... Just ticks me off.

Sorry... I do appreciate the assist!!

JmFnG
08-05-2016, 01:58 PM
I keep hearing and I keep reading that blue is just one color that NO ONE has yet been able to perfect in a firework. Yet every year I buy and use and see blue effects in fireworks.

I have wondered the very same thing. Anybody have any ideas as to why there is conflicting information regarding the color blue?

tongpopyro
08-05-2016, 04:47 PM
I have used critical acclaim mines which had blue. i've never used them but 76 has blue mines, red rhino full blown has a blue mine cake.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-05-2016, 07:25 PM
I have wondered the very same thing. Anybody have any ideas as to why there is conflicting information regarding the color blue?

Just heard on the news that tonight is the big opening ceremonies for the Olympics. They said tune in for the big pyrotechnic show featuring BLUE FIREWORKS!! What the.... So I guess the key to cracking the code on blue in fireworks is zika!

Rick_In_Tampa
08-05-2016, 07:27 PM
I have used critical acclaim mines which had blue. i've never used them but 76 has blue mines, red rhino full blown has a blue mine cake.

Yeah... Lots of blue flavored fireworks out there. I'd even settle for blue-ish if it was in the right effect.