PDA

View Full Version : Question about firing electronically/consumer shells

Crab107
07-26-2016, 06:21 PM
When you fire a shell electronically..e match inserted directly into lift charge, is there any chance the shell will be caught by the wire and not lift?? Or is there any chance the wire will jerk my ignitor into the air??
Ive seen on the videos how to do a "relief tie" for this..wrapping the wire around a screw on the rack...etc. im just concerned about shell lift being affected

Bazerk
07-26-2016, 07:54 PM
When you fire a shell electronically..e match inserted directly into lift charge, is there any chance the shell will be caught by the wire and not lift?? Or is there any chance the wire will jerk my ignitor into the air??
Ive seen on the videos how to do a "relief tie" for this..wrapping the wire around a screw on the rack...etc. im just concerned about shell lift being affected

The igniter will go with the shell so you want to secure that so your module doesn't go with it. As far as it effecting the shell leaving the tube....I've never seen or heard of that ever happening.

displayfireworks1
07-26-2016, 08:52 PM
Its common for the shell leaving the mortar to take the electric match wire with it. No electric match will hold a shell back from leaving the mortar. You want as much as possible to have every electric match connected to have its own flight path so to speak. Do not cross wires one over the other, common errors are when the shell leaves it pulls the match and in turn it pulls other wires out of place. Have you seen some of my techniques for placing electric match? There are ways to secure the wire between the firing system and the shell.

Crab107
07-26-2016, 09:15 PM
Its common for the shell leaving the mortar to take the electric match wire with it. No electric match will hold a shell back from leaving the mortar. You want as much as possible to have every electric match connected to have its own flight path so to speak. Do not cross wires one over the other, common errors are when the shell leaves it pulls the match and in turn it pulls other wires out of place. Have you seen some of my techniques for placing electric match? There are ways to secure the wire between the firing system and the shell.

Yes sir. Ive been watching religiously. I was just making sure i wasnt missing some trvial step that will land a low shell in my lap. I want to be as safe as i can. Espcially shooting in someone elses backyard..lol.

And as always thanks for all the help guys. Its nice to have a place to come for help.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-27-2016, 12:34 AM
Ive seen on the videos how to do a "relief tie" for this..wrapping the wire around a screw on the rack...etc.

That was going to be my suggestion. It's also common to drill a hole in the top of the tube and run the wire through the hole (inside to outside) and tie a slip knot on the outside so the wire breaks clean as the shell leaves the tube.

djsmurf
07-28-2016, 12:07 AM
Yes sir. Ive been watching religiously. I was just making sure i wasnt missing some trvial step that will land a low shell in my lap. I want to be as safe as i can. Espcially shooting in someone elses backyard..lol.

And as always thanks for all the help guys. Its nice to have a place to come for help.

Looking at safety is never a bad thing. Securing the match as others have said is the big thing to worry about. When the shells hit they will leave the tube, if you attend a pgi training they shoot a shell through a piece of plywood to stress the point of no body parts over the tubes.

Crab107
07-28-2016, 12:29 AM
Looking at safety is never a bad thing. Securing the match as others have said is the big thing to worry about. When the shells hit they will leave the tube, if you attend a pgi training they shoot a shell through a piece of plywood to stress the point of no body parts over the tubes.

They had a training class in Atl a while back..before i found you guys and i missed it:( I want to go to one and see if i can get on a volunteer list to help out the pros from time to time. If they allow that kind of thing.