PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from the Grand Strand of South Carolina

jamisonlm3
07-20-2016, 02:32 AM
Like the title says, I'm a newbie from the coastal area of South Carolina. I've always loved fireworks, but never really did anything significant with them except burn up some smarklers or make noise with some firecrackers. That changed this year. I purchased my first real fireworks for what I hope to be a continuing tradition for New Years and the 4th of July. Before I made any purchase, I road around to all the local stores to see what kind of selection and pricing they had. I learned pricing varied quite a bit. In the end, I got my hands on a box of Brother's Quest and Black Cat's Diablo for $75 each. Not bad, but not great. I priced it $3.33 per shell including tax. All I can say is these things were awesome! I'm already looking into buying wholesale or at least buying them by the case even if I have to do a bit of driving. I'm hoping I can find them a bit cheaper than what I paid for them. I've also got plans on building a mortar rack. It's all still up in the air right now due to financial resources, but we'll see what happens. Either way, I've still got 24 shells to shoot at the end of the year. It's going to be a blast.

PyroManiacs
07-20-2016, 07:33 AM
Welcome to PyroTalk!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-20-2016, 10:26 AM
It's going to be a blast.

Lol.... Pun intended I'm sure!

Welcome aboard!! Based on your post it sounds like you've been bitten by the same pyro bug that's bitten the rest of us. Congratulations!! Like you I started small. As a matter of fact, I was just digging up old pictures to try and see how far and how fast things have progressed for me. It's really kind of scary! Back in 2014 this was my entire show:

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1271&stc=1

I blew it all off in front of my house with a Bic lighter. I had neighbors all around acting like my last name was Zambelli too. It was really rather odd.

Two years later (this year!) my show looked like this (Complete with remote firing system!):

http://www.pyrotalk.com/bulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=1272&stc=1

So not only is this disease infectious, it spreads rather rapidly too!! I hope your pyro experience expands as rapidly and as far as you're ready to take it. Joining this forum is a great step. Lots of very smart people with really great ideas and experiences to share. You will definitely learn a lot if you're willing to put in the time and effort to read these threads.

Good luck!!

chriskrc
07-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the forum

displayfireworks1
07-20-2016, 10:25 PM
It sounds like you are new to some fireworks and discovered the canister artillery shells. I am not sure where are located in South Carolina but your choices may be geographically limited. If you get your budget over at least $700.00 then having fireworks shipped to you becomes an option.

jamisonlm3
07-21-2016, 01:21 AM
Displayfireworks1, that's pretty much what happened. We have a Jake's Fireworks warehouse in the state, but that requires a minimum of $1000 plus shipping. As much as I would like to, that's not something I can do right now alone. I'm still looking for other places locally. I've thought about asking if the store I got mine from can give me a better price if I buy 2-3 cases. Online can be a bit tricky, but it does look like a purchase of around $700 is what I might have to settle with. Some places don't have a minimum, but when you include the price of shipping, I might as well have purchased locally.

scpyrouser
07-23-2016, 10:50 AM
Welcome to Pyrotalk!