PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Excalibur tubes

cmalloy513
07-14-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm trying to remove the sleeves from my 2016 Excalibur tubes so I can cut off the bases and make a milk crate rack out of them but the sleeves are stuck on there pretty good. Anyone here figured out how to get the sleeves off?

nayslayer
07-14-2016, 01:44 PM
I cut the bottom off with a jigsaw and wacked the collar off with hammer

PapaBearPyro
07-14-2016, 09:02 PM
Try a little wd40 around the top-the get in between the base and the collar with a screwdriver-it should work up and off. To remove the base I use a 2 3/4 inch hole saw-no pilot bit and drill cut from the bottom-leaves tube intact-no need to plug. Tip-after the first one use the cut off base with hole in it as a guide/template-you can mow thru a bunch quickly this way. PBP

Cerus
07-14-2016, 09:06 PM
Here's how I had to do my xcal tubes from this year. Soak in WD-40 and then place several layers of towels down for padding. Grab a pair of grippy work gloves of some kind, grip the sleeve with the tube upside down and give it a few good, firm whacks. It won't damage the lip of the tube and some will take a few more hard whacks to break them free.

Cut off the base with a jigsaw and then use a flush cut router bit to remove the excess.

JmFnG
07-15-2016, 10:29 AM
I had 36 excal mortars I wanted to put in racks this year. I just gripped the sleeve with 2 hands and struck the top of the tube on firm ground. They all came off easily without lubricating the tube. Ran the bases through the tablesaw and left the excess -- they will still fit perfectly in a standard rack.