PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Texas, backyard fireworks

displayfireworks1
07-14-2016, 12:44 PM
Sent to me from one of my youtube subscribers. Great day time pictures and drone video included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULOS-ZfDCN4

displayfireworks1
07-14-2016, 02:50 PM
My YouTube subscriber in the above video, is requesting to join the forums. I'll get him an account later tonight. It will be great if he shares some of his experience and thoughts in setting this up. Now we have at least two advanced backyard enthusiast sharing their pyro-musicals displays with us. It looks like he is using Consumer igniter and possible that non-regulate ematch. We will have to ask him. This is why I love daytime setup pictures and videos. It's great to see the different techniques

Crab107
07-14-2016, 06:40 PM
My YouTube subscriber in the above video, is requesting to join the forums. I'll get him an account later tonight. It will be great if he shares some of his experience and thoughts in setting this up. Now we have at least two advanced backyard enthusiast sharing their pyro-musicals displays with us. It looks like he is using Consumer igniter and possible that non-regulate ematch. We will have to ask him. This is why I love daytime setup pictures and videos. It's great to see the different techniques

I watched the whole vidoe..love the drone pics..good music choice as well. I can only wish to have a setup like,that one day. The show was amazing!!

esgrillo
07-14-2016, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the positive comments. We have been putting on a 4th of July show for several years at the same location and it grows each year. I get most items from 76 at a gold discount level and have a lot of financial support from most of the neighbors near me and some friends that also come to the party. I also have some homemade creamoras you can see at several spots during the show. I use a Cobra system and am up to 7 modules and new this year was an Audio Box. The Audio Box was a great addition as I was able to get the timing on the special effects pretty much right on with the music. Never was able to get that precision before. I also started using Cobra Show Creator software for scripting this year since it incorporates the sound track with cue firing so you can listen to the music and press a button to add the cue at the exact right time. Show Creator and the Audio Box is a great combo. If you do one you should do both.

I do most of the pre show construction myself with the help of a couple of my kids. I use a combination of talon and firewire initiator non-regulated ematches depending on the item being fired. All the special effect items from 76 have ports that will work direct with the firewire. My experience with the MJG firewire product is excellent. I have shot off over 100 in multiple shows and never have had one fail. For pre-show construction I use a combination of regular cannon, fast pink, and superfast white paper fuse depending on the effects. I use lots of the superfast for the finale cakes I put together. I check continuity on every talon or ematch when I assemble the cakes. Firewire is always good but I have about a 2% fail rate on talons so I just toss those.

I use a 3 platform set up for my show with various small elevated platforms for special effects. I need to to that at my location as there is about a 8 foot drop in elevation from the spectator view to the platforms so low effects like gerbs and fountains are very hard to see if I dont do that. Of course I found that our the hard way. I like to start out the show with a series of special effects that build to a big boom over about a minute. I try to select a song that works well with that timing. This year I had some cues fail (field wiring issues I found the next day) in the beginning minute that made the intro a little less than it should have been. Typically I have the same item going off the outer 2 platforms for symmetry that shoot lower than the item going off in the middle. I've made all my racks over the years and usually add one or 2 each year as the show grows. I have become a huge fan of the slice fan cakes 76 sells. The have the ematch port to accept the firewire so you can fire them exactly to match the song. I had about 5 cases of different ones for the show and thought they looked good. I had a series of 5 of them at the 8:00 mark and they were right on time with the beat of the song. I plan on getting more of those. Draw back to that is that they use up your cues in a hurry!

For the main show I use all kinds and brands of cakes with some new ones each year. I do have some favorites I always use like Airboss 500g, Whacky Tobacky NOAB, and 200g Bump Bear. You get great value daisy chaining 200g cakes together and I use 90 of the fast fused bump bears to kick off the finale. I think it really fills up the sky and avoids the sky puke effect of putting up a bunch of different cakes at the same time. I also like Color Stars. It is a super fast 5 sec cake really good for finales. It is the last thing going off before my fan comets and salutes at the end of the show.

We also try to be as safe as possible. You can see that the fireworks area is isolated and roped off plus during the show we have a couple of experienced people on fire patrol at the platforms. There are always small fires in a show that is 20 minutes long that need to be attended to. Plus the other thing we do is have a gas power fire pump that is stationed on the back side of the lake behind the show in case of any issues. Our area can be pretty dry some years and we thought that was a good investment.

Any other questions let me know.

Dion
07-14-2016, 08:27 PM
That was KICK ASS!!!!

ras1986
07-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Where did you get those bad ass salutes in your finale?!?!... lol j/k glad you finally joined us here.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Another modest little affair on a shoe-string budget in a depressed part of Texas I see. Pity.

Pity that I'd probably get jacked if I tried to get past the gate guard to your development that is!!

Holy crap dude that was an awesome show!! I don't think the city of Tampa has ever put on a show as nice since I've lived here the past 18 years.

If you recall, what's the name of the cake that had the red balls go up from the center out in both directions at the same time? That was an awesome cake. I don't think I've seen anything like it before.

CTPYRO
07-15-2016, 03:06 PM
That was awesome......

Rick_In_Tampa
07-15-2016, 04:06 PM
So I know my last post about "what cake was that" was a little vague, so I took a few screen shots.

Love to know the name of the cakes if you can remember.

This one is at 7:08 of your video.

This one is at 8:10 of your video.

esgrillo
07-15-2016, 04:21 PM
salutes? what salutes lol. Got those white chrysanthemum from some shady guy lol

esgrillo
07-15-2016, 04:33 PM
Rick, no worries about a gate. We don't need one on my street, lots of avid hunters and law enforcement :) lol A lot of my neighbors contribute $ so the individual cost is actually pretty reasonable. The cake at 7:08 was two red crossette fan slices cakes 0.5 sec apart. They are here: http://www.76fireworks.com/SE201 They are really great cakes 2nd year I have used them. The spread is HUGE, probably about 600ft when you scale from the video. The yards are about 175ft wide across the back each.

The cakes at 8:00 were also fan slice cakes. Crackling comet w/mine. There were 5 of them 0.5 sec apart http://www.76fireworks.com/SE301_7s_FanSlice_Crackling_Comet_w_Crackling_Mine _40mm

You need to use ematch for those, no fuse, only a port on them. I use firewire from MJG.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-15-2016, 04:33 PM
So I know my last post about "what cake was that" was a little vague, so I took a few screen shots.

This one is actually at 8:00 of your video.

Looks like you beat me to it.

Thanks for the info!! I need to move back to Texas and get into law enforcement. Holy crap... This IT stuff is overrated big time anyway. lol... :cool:

esgrillo
07-15-2016, 04:56 PM

This one is at 8:10 of your video.

Rick -

Thanks for the positive comments! No worries on the gate, we dont need one. Lots of avid hunters and law enforcement on my street lol. At the 7:08 mark is 2 red crossettes 13 shot fan slice cakes going off 0.5 sec apart. They are from 76 http://www.76fireworks.com/SE201 You need ematch to fire as there is no fuse only a port. I use firewire from MJG.

The cakes at 8:00 are 7 shot FanSlice Crackling Comet w/ Crackling Mine also from 76. I have 5 going off 0.5 sec apart in that sequence. ematch only on those as well. You can see them here: http://www.76fireworks.com/SE301_7s_FanSlice_Crackling_Comet_w_Crackling_Mine _40mm

Rick_In_Tampa
07-15-2016, 04:59 PM
Rick, no worries about a gate. We don't need one on my street, lots of avid hunters and law enforcement :) lol A lot of my neighbors contribute $ so the individual cost is actually pretty reasonable. The cake at 7:08 was two red crossette fan slices cakes 0.5 sec apart. They are here: http://www.76fireworks.com/SE201 They are really great cakes 2nd year I have used them. The spread is HUGE, probably about 600ft when you scale from the video. The yards are about 175ft wide across the back each.

The cakes at 8:00 were also fan slice cakes. Crackling comet w/mine. There were 5 of them 0.5 sec apart http://www.76fireworks.com/SE301_7s_FanSlice_Crackling_Comet_w_Crackling_Mine _40mm

You need to use ematch for those, no fuse, only a port on them. I use firewire from MJG.

So the first thing that's jumping out at me is both of these items are listed as "For professional use only" and they fall under that gray area of 1.4G Articles of Pyrotechnics.

Based on my understanding of purchasing items classified as "Articles of Pyrotechnics" (as explained by Dave on one of his videos) you don't need an ATF54 to buy these items. However, since they are labeled "For professional use only" and "Not for sale to the general public", I *assume* Spirit of 76 requires some form of documentation indicating some level of professional proficiency with these items, yes?

Or does someone in your purchasing circle have their ATF54? Or do they simply have you fill out the online "pro use only" form and you're good to go?

esgrillo
07-15-2016, 05:01 PM
So the first thing that's jumping out at me is both of these items are listed as "For professional use only" and they fall under that gray area of 1.4G Articles of Pyrotechnics.

Based on my understanding of purchasing items classified as "Articles of Pyrotechnics" (as explained by Dave on one of his videos) you don't need an ATF54 to buy these items. However, since they are labeled "For professional use only" and "Not for sale to the general public", I *assume* Spirit of 76 requires some form of documentation indicating some level of professional proficiency with these items, yes?

Or does someone in your purchasing circle have their ATF54?

Yes, on their website they say you need to sign a form documenting you have some level of competence. I have been buying from them since before they had that clause and they have seen my shows so I never had a problem.

Pyromaha
07-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Incredible show! I'm jelly. Haha.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Yes, on their website they say you need to sign a form documenting you have some level of competence. I have been buying from them since before they had that clause and they have seen my shows so I never had a problem.

Ok... Last (probably not!) question. Do you know the name of the red white and blue fan cake you used during the Toby Keith song (that follows the pure red cake) at about the 18 min mark of the video?

Everything between 17 min to 18:30 min was awesome! So... If you remember any of that info, I'd greatly appreciate it.

vegassalute
08-07-2016, 06:38 PM
Outstanding performance! Very inspirational for all pyros new and existing! Terrific work.

Rick_In_Tampa
08-07-2016, 07:17 PM
Outstanding performance! Very inspirational for all pyros new and existing! Terrific work.

The man certainly puts on one hell of a nice show doesn't he! Wow...

esgrillo
08-11-2016, 10:06 PM
Ok... Last (probably not!) question. Do you know the name of the red white and blue fan cake you used during the Toby Keith song (that follows the pure red cake) at about the 18 min mark of the video?

Everything between 17 min to 18:30 min was awesome! So... If you remember any of that info, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Rick here is that sequence.

The red white and blue peony sequence was 76's 36 shot 8 sec cakes. They were 3 different cues. 4 of each med fast fused on each side. I tried to time the sequence so they overlapped a few seconds so it looked continuous. They were in the beginning of the video and looked like this:

The red strobes did not go off. I had another post about the problem I had with the version 7 talons on several cues. The strobes would have been on when I had that period of dark sky. It kind of worked out OK anyway I thought. Anything else just let me know.

esgrillo
08-11-2016, 10:14 PM

this might be easier to read:
12:28.0s 7 9 #BOOM 75
12:28.0s 4 9 #BOOM 75
12:51.0s 7 10 36s Z Crackling Mine (8sec) 8.0
12:51.0s 4 10 36s Z Crackling Mine (8sec) 8.0
13:39.2s 1 9 Red Strobes 60
14:03.2s 4 11 36s Z Red Peony (8sec) 23
14:03.2s 7 11 36s Z Red Peony (8sec) 23
14:21.6s 7 12 36s Z Silver Peony (8sec) 23
14:21.6s 4 12 36s Z Silver Peony (8sec) 23
14:40.4s 7 13 36s Z Blue Peony (8sec) 23
14:40.4s 4 13 36s Z Blue Peony (8sec) 23

esgrillo
08-11-2016, 10:15 PM

Thanks vegas.... starting some planning for next year already :)

Rick_In_Tampa
08-11-2016, 11:43 PM
this might be easier to read:
12:28.0s 7 9 #BOOM 75
12:28.0s 4 9 #BOOM 75
12:51.0s 7 10 36s Z Crackling Mine (8sec) 8.0
12:51.0s 4 10 36s Z Crackling Mine (8sec) 8.0
13:39.2s 1 9 Red Strobes 60
14:03.2s 4 11 36s Z Red Peony (8sec) 23
14:03.2s 7 11 36s Z Red Peony (8sec) 23
14:21.6s 7 12 36s Z Silver Peony (8sec) 23
14:21.6s 4 12 36s Z Silver Peony (8sec) 23