View Full Version : Reloading a 1.3 Mortar

displayfireworks1
07-13-2016, 06:58 PM
What does reloading a 1.3 fireworks product look like? Here you will see me reload two five inch shells. Once very common in fireworks, now largely frowned upon. Occasionally it may need to be done. Best to do it with two people, with the second person protecting the ready box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efDpATmuDM

CTPYRO
07-14-2016, 10:12 AM
I've done it only a few times on a private shoot, but never in our CT displays... def raises the hair on my neck

Northern Sky
07-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Seriously?

Where is the 25' setback.

Where is the self closing ready-box? I understand that it looks as thought these were the last two in the box but come on.

COME ON MAN, THAT GUN WAS STILL SMOKING!

It isn't like there weren't, what like 150 more 5" to be shot to let the gun cool down. Maybe there was a rush because the ready-box, oh wait shipping box was sitting right there.

Hey, at least the "ready-box" was up wind. . . . . .

What is being taught in this thread?

CTPYRO
07-14-2016, 01:11 PM
I didn't even watch the video prior to my comment... after seeing the video that basically is an example of what you should never do...and by other people seeing this is sending the wrong message

Pyro47240
07-14-2016, 01:16 PM
What is being taught in this thread?

How to die?

zzzybil
07-14-2016, 01:35 PM
thats a crazy video ?????????? Only went to pgi display safety class last summer - not a pro - and I only shoot 1.4

that kind of reloading is asking for trouble......too many ignoring safeguards meant to keep EVERYONE SAFE....being ignored.... big difference old school and old fool ......... This old fool RESPECTS everything I was taught ......... someone with soooooo much influence over noobies - my bad - I know you know better ??

Northern SKY is right - keeping the hobby safe - safety is job 1 never a good reason to short cut safety .

I didn't ''get'' the ""watch it"" or what that was about ?? but droppin 5'' into hot smokin tubes -DAMMMMMMM
with SOOOOOOOO many already good to go freaks me out. careless and dumb

what was that dave ???? lotta novice look to you as a teacher .......... splain that oobie 1

displayfireworks1
07-14-2016, 01:40 PM
You guys are a day late on this, I was expecting this yesterday. Thanks for commenting. It looks weird I know, if you are not used to seeing it. Has anyone else out there ever reloaded a 1.3 product? Should it be done at all in any circumstance?

CTPYRO
07-14-2016, 02:32 PM
The danger factor is there with a smoking gun.... if it's been cooled off for say 15-20 min I'd say have it or if it's a steel mortar in sand...otherwise really not a good idea to reload during a show

Pyro47240
07-14-2016, 03:13 PM
The danger factor is there with a smoking gun.... if it's been cooled off for say 15-20 min I'd say have it or if it's a steel mortar in sand...otherwise really not a good idea to reload during a show

Why even bother taking such a risk? Two extra mortars are what $12.00. I guess my thinking is I wouldn't order more than I could load. If I know I can load for example 200 mortars and my mortars come pack 12/1. The I'm only going to order 192 shells and be short 8. There's other peoples lives involved and I'm not going to ask them to risks theirs by loading 5" shells in a smoking hot gun with possible ambers in the bottom. It's a really bad idea!!!

JoeR
07-14-2016, 04:34 PM
I agree with those above about ordering your show based off of what equipment you have available to set up a safe show, but I understand that sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

With that being said, I have personally reloaded a few times. I have never had a shell go off prematurely, but I also do not want to keep pushing my luck either, it just isn't worth it to potentially injure or kill yourself, or somebody else on your shoot site. My number one priority, even before putting on a good show is that every preventative measure is taken to make the shoot site as safe as it can be, although having the understanding that there is still a potential risk for an accident. When I did reload, there was a suitable ready-box, and I would clear the necessary guns, and move to another rack/pod and allow the tubes to be reloaded to cool down.

This is a really good example of what not to do, for a few different reasons, but a good learning video, nonetheless.

pyrola
07-14-2016, 04:53 PM
what is baffling to me is that zambelli international which claim to be one of the largest fireworks companies in the USA still uses reloading practices. unreal

CTPYRO
07-14-2016, 05:39 PM
Maybe certain states have regs in place that allow it...

pyrola
07-14-2016, 05:45 PM
just because a state allows it doesnt always make it right for you to do it

CTPYRO
07-14-2016, 06:59 PM
just because a state allows it doesnt always make it right for you to do it

I'm not against what you are saying... I never reload on a 1.3 display... I'm only insinuating that some states may allow it

pyrola
07-14-2016, 07:50 PM
Display Fireworks1,

Were you not provided enough equipment and forced to reload?

displayfireworks1
07-14-2016, 09:00 PM
At pyrola
I knew the more someone though about it , they would figure it out. There were two extra shells. I did not want to leave the site with placards. Sure they were other options, I chose to reloaded two shells, I have some experience reloading in the past and knew I could easily reload these two early in the show and they would be gone. Doing this is not for everyone. I am willing to bet most experienced pyro-technicians have been in this situation, they may just not want to admit to it. I can only show what is for real with me and pyrotechnics, not everyone is comfortable with that.

matandch
07-14-2016, 09:05 PM
I knew a guy who used to routinely reload 8" shells into a steel pipe buried in the ground as part of his show. He wasn't some inexperienced yahoo either. He was an experienced pyro who just assumed the risk.

PGH_Pyro
07-14-2016, 09:38 PM
Northern Sky - relax, brah . everything will be ok , in this case.

jknepp1954
07-14-2016, 10:04 PM
While in the early stages of our company back 15-18 yrs ago - and not enough money for racks to go around - yes we did some reloading. but we hired a separate guy who did that per station. the guy who was shooting did not reload.
The "ready box"? the cardboard box? REally?!?!?

TylerBarnett
07-14-2016, 10:53 PM
So, I'm new to fireworks but NOT new to explosives. Our family owned a major coal company in Kentucky and even I as a kid worked with some explosives/dynamite. That being said...if you understand the practical physics involved with explosive materials then it's fairly safe to reload shortly after shooting a shell. Black powder takes an actual spark/flame to set it off. You don't have to worry about friction or radiant heat (mostly). I've seen black powder cooked in an oven without anything happening to it. I know black powder ignition is around 400-600 degrees...so, really, the only risk I see here would be an actual flame still in the tube and igniting the shell as it's being dropped in. Blunt force trauma is the big worry factor.

It appears from the video that Dave checked the tube before dropping the shell in and was all clear. I guess what I'm saying is that if you're an experienced and knowledgable pyro then by all means be safe and reload all you want with caution. What kills me more than anything is seeing people load shells with their wedding bands/jewelry on, talk about starting a spark! Yikes.

PhilK33
07-15-2016, 09:40 AM
How come most issues and debates rise of the reloading of 1.3 shells....how about 1.4...you get 24 shells and only 4 mortars from manufacturer. Now I know people will say, buy more mortars etc but majority do not. I used to reload when I first started out my backyard 1.3 and my shows stunk. But I did it for my enjoyment, letting 10-15 min lapse in between reloading the guns. Knowing Dave, he had his crew informed of the situation and how he wanted to handle it! Seems like he made the executive call and he did the task himself! As for the ready box, suprised zambelli didn't have one on the truck! We don't know if they did or didn't, and maybe Dave did what he had to do to spend the shells! Main thing is, all were safe!

PhilK33
07-15-2016, 09:44 AM
And to add one more thing, he got rid of them early as he states, Which in my opinion was good to not have them sitting around during majority of show.

Northern Sky
07-15-2016, 10:00 AM
At pyrola
I knew the more someone thought about it , they would figure it out. There were two extra shells. I pointed that out in my original postI did not want to leave the site with placards. Sure they were other options, I chose to reloaded two shells, I have some experience reloading in the past and knew I could easily reload these two early in the show and they would be gone. I understand your reasoning just not the executionDoing this is not for everyone. . . .

Northern Sky - relax, brah . everything will be ok , in this case.

Not sure if notice CALI_Pyro, but people naturally do as they have seen,"been taught by" others do. Yes, in this case nothing happened but people who have no training, which discribes many people here, who buy their DVD and do EXACTLY what they just saw not knowing any better.

So,] I'm new to fireworks but NOT new to explosives. it's fairly safe to reload shortly after shooting a shell. Tell me please, if a 2.5" shell fires through a 3/4" piece of plywood with little effect, what kind of power does a 5" shell have? Black powder takes an actual spark/flame to set it off. You don't have to worry about friction WRONG, PERIOD or radiant heat (mostly).

Yes, your statement about BP is accurate but being from an explosive background you have NO experience with quick match. If you watch the video, the ash and embers falling everywhere is from the material that changes the Black Match, string covered with BP, to Quick Match. Some is paper which we all hate because it absorbs moisture. . . . and plastic coated paper. Those embers burn for a long time. If any of those burning embers are in the mortar YES, it will ignite the shell. Basically what has just been created is a Hang-Fire that could go off at any time. This rack should be treated as having a Hang-Fire and avoided for 30 minutes. I have witnessed two hang fires going off 30+ minutes after the end of the display. This is why PROFESSIONAL displays have "Cool Down Periods".

It appears from the video that Dave checked the tube before dropping the shell in and was all clear. I must have missed this somewhere. Did his he use his Superman X-Ray eyes?I guess what I'm saying is that if you're an experienced and knowledgable pyro then by all means be safe and reload all you want with caution. What kills me more than anything is seeing people load shells with their wedding bands/jewelry on, talk about starting a spark! Yikes.Most wedding bands are Gold which is non-sparking

This falls in the category of "There are many Old Pyros. There are many Bold Pyros. But there are NO Old Bold Pyros."

I'm sure even PGH_Pyro can figure that one out relaxing by the riverbank.

PGH_Pyro
07-15-2016, 12:36 PM
relaxing by the river bank huh ?