PDA

View Full Version : Obtaining type 54 in Minnesota

aldude345
07-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Do i need any additional licenses in this state just to try to apply for the Atf 54 license. Or can i proceed like any other state with the application

displayfireworks1
07-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Yes, Minnesota is different because you have like what, 10,000 lakes. If a fireworks fire starts you can always find water to put it out. They can't say , hey you can start a fire with those fireworks like in California. LOL
The procedure to obtain the ATF license to purchase 1.3 fireworks is the same in every state and territory of United States. It is a Federal Government procedure. The state has no control over the application process. I explain the procedure in the DVD/application I sell on my website.
http://pyrotalk.com/shopping.php
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/PublishingImages/StandardPlate.jpg

aldude345
07-09-2016, 09:22 AM
Yes, Minnesota is different because you have like what, 10,000 lakes. If a fireworks fire starts you can always find water to put it out. They can't say , hey you can start a fire with those fireworks like in California. LOL
The procedure to obtain the ATF license to purchase 1.3 fireworks is the same in every state and territory of United States. It is a Federal Government procedure. The state has no control over the application process. I explain the procedure in the DVD/application I sell on my website.
http://pyrotalk.com/shopping.php
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/dvs/forms-documents/PublishingImages/StandardPlate.jpg

Thank u I just purchased the DVD!

aldude345
07-10-2016, 03:45 PM
Thank u I just purchased the DVD!

How long after ordering do u normally ship ur dvds Dave. Also been reading that sometimes atf will deny license cause u don't comply with state rules. But then others say they really can't do that. Thanks for everything

displayfireworks1
07-10-2016, 04:34 PM
Once I get an order I usually go on a 2 week vacation then into a drug induced coma for a few days , after that I eventually may mail out one of the ATF orders. Something must be going on with PayPal sending shipping emails, because I get his question at least once a week. I mail it the same or next day. The mail is sometimes slow, it may take 5 to 10 days to reach certain locations. Please any question about the mailing or timeliness of any particular order , email me at pyrotalk@gmail.com. You ordered it Saturday, today is Sunday.
Show me where you read sometimes the ATF will deny you because you do not comply with state rules. You are starting to sabotage you plan to apply for the license. Relax and wait until you receive the information.

aldude345
07-10-2016, 05:51 PM
The field office supervisor will issue an assignment to an Industry Operations Investigator (IOI) who will conduct a face-to-face qualification inspection with you. The IOI will interview you, discuss State and local requirements with you, review explosives storage requirements, review Federal recordkeeping requirements, go over the application with you, and additionally discuss the laws and regulations with you. The IOI will then prepare a report of his/her interview, inspection and make a recommendation to either issue the license or permit or deny the license or permit. Some reasons for denial include failure to comply with State or local law, evidence of an applicant’s previous violation of the Safe Explosives Act, or falsification of the application.

just wish I lived in Wisconsin or SD or something haha. Things would be a wee bit easier since u need a state license as well to be able to legally shoot what u buy. Can't wait to get a hold of ur stuff and I will try my best relax and he confident :)

displayfireworks1
07-11-2016, 07:53 AM
The granting on a ATF Federal User of Display Fireworks (Type 54) is not contingent upon obtaining any state certifications. I can say that until I am blue in the face and there will be people that feel otherwise. I have been through this in Ohio and New York state. When they call you to come to interview you, the decision has already been made. It is not like , hey lets interview him to see if he meets the requirements. The interview is an educational event and not a decision making process on their part. They probably should call it something other than an interview. If someone believes otherwise , give me a document or a persons name that was denied during the application process for state or local law anything. I will be happy to investigate.

Pyroigniter
07-11-2016, 10:05 AM
I did have a little snag in VA with the ATF agent Patrick Hoover. He needed me to get a storage magazine permit from the local Fire marshall office before he did the interview so all the states ducks were in a row as well. That was the only thing I ran into.

Dave, I have the email chain and his email address if you would like some clarification from him.

Northern Sky
07-11-2016, 01:29 PM
The field office supervisor will issue an assignment to an Industry Operations Investigator (IOI) who will conduct a face-to-face qualification inspection with you. The IOI will interview you, discuss State and local requirements with you, review explosives storage requirements, review Federal recordkeeping requirements, go over the application with you, and additionally discuss the laws and regulations with you. The IOI will then prepare a report of his/her interview, inspection and make a recommendation to either issue the license or permit or deny the license or permit. Some reasons for denial include failure to comply with State or local law, evidence of an applicant’s previous violation of the Safe Explosives Act, or falsification of the application.

just wish I lived in Wisconsin or SD or something haha. Things would be a wee bit easier since u need a state license as well to be able to legally shoot what u buy. Can't wait to get a hold of ur stuff and I will try my best relax and he confident :)

Well stated.

CTPYRO
07-11-2016, 01:54 PM
I agree there...... I know when I had my interview the ATF he had asked me about discharging product. I showed him my NHPA membership and that I was also in the process of getting my CT Cert of compentency. While they really have nothing to do with the discharge of 1.3 they can certainly ask it because they are vetting that you are a responsible person and not someone that wants to amp up your personal shows with salutes/cakes.....

aldude345
07-11-2016, 02:23 PM
I agree there...... I know when I had my interview the ATF he had asked me about discharging product. I showed him my NHPA membership and that I was also in the process of getting my CT Cert of compentency. While they really have nothing to do with the discharge of 1.3 they can certainly ask it because they are vetting that you are a responsible person and not someone that wants to amp up your personal shows with salutes/cakes.....

Thanks everyone for all the insight. The 1.3 warehouse told me that if u had places to shoot them in wisconsin or SD it would help ur chances. Which I do have places so I will bring it to thier attention if i need to

displayfireworks1
07-11-2016, 08:46 PM
Having your own magazine is another issue, some states inspect and tax those. I should say a Type 54 User of Display fireworks with contingency on an already approved magazine is what I am referencing. The states do have some control over the magazines. Ohio is an example, all new Users of Display Fireworks in that state are contingency users. But just because Ohio temporarily stopped new magazines, they can't stop anyone in Ohio from getting licensed to purchase 1.3. Although the ATF has a magazine storage protocol of their own. it would be interesting to challenge the Ohio law with a non-commerce application for new storage. Say for example a farmer using bird scare devices. Does anyone have a link to the Ohio magazine regulations I would like to read it.

displayfireworks1
07-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Because you showed this ATF Inspector all your Club memberships and your intention to apply for state certification does not mean it is a requirement of the ATF license. It is good to appear legitimate and trained but it is not necessary. I helped people get licensed just to drive to Kellners open shoot and shoot a few shells off for entertainment. Another guy got licensed , he told the ATF he really did not have a reason other than watching some guy on youtube talk about it. He told me they probably ask him 10 times why he wanted the license and he really did not have any real reason. He is actually now working on professional displays part time. I know it defies logic sometimes to get licensed first and then do something in pyrotechnics.

aldude345
07-11-2016, 09:54 PM
Because you showed this ATF Inspector all your Club memberships and your intention to apply for state certification does not mean it is a requirement of the ATF license. It is good to appear legitimate and trained but it is not necessary. I helped people get licensed just to drive to Kellners open shoot and shoot a few shells off for entertainment. Another guy got licensed , he told the ATF he really did not have a reason other than watching some guy on youtube talk about it. He told me they probably ask him 10 times why he wanted the license and he really did not have any real reason. He is actually now working on professional displays part time. I know it defies logic sometimes to get licensed first and then do something in pyrotechnics.

That's insane lol. I am gonna be applying for a big Pyro business in the Twin Cities soon and they always are looking for help and I can get more experience through them

CTPYRO
07-12-2016, 09:16 AM
Dave the problem lies that here in CT there are only a few of us that have a 54 so I'm sure that's why he asked. My interview went just fine and turned out he also plays hockey so we got on that subject aside from fireworks

aldude345
07-12-2016, 10:29 PM
Hey Dave Got your dvd already very impressive i see u were not on vacation haha :). Quick big Question. I am in process of filling out everything and u have a question on the Magazine. I already acquired a contingency plan so that part is taken care of thank god. How much of that magazine page do i end up filling out cause most of it looks like for the Atf to fill out. I printed the contingincy plan and will include it with app. I mean if i print the congincy plan with thier ID number on it and all the address so i really need to fill out that form? Thanks sir

Rick_In_Tampa
07-13-2016, 12:06 AM
I know it defies logic sometimes to get licensed first and then do something in pyrotechnics.

It makes sense to me to prove some level of training and/or competency before you issues an EXPLOSIVES permit to someone you essentially know nothing about. It's kind of like taking a drivers test before they issue you a drivers license.

The storage thing really has me baffled. What's to prevent someone from showing an ATF inspector a storage container he rented for 30 day from PODS (for example), and then never uses again after the inspector leaves and issues the license? Instead he just stores the 1.3 stuff in his garage. That you can fake. Showing that you've been certified by PGI or whomever to actually use 1.3G products in a safe and professional manner is a little more difficult to fake.

displayfireworks1
07-13-2016, 07:17 AM
At aldude345
I sent your answer via PM to you. Once you purchase my DVD/application package address question to pyrotalk@gmail.com. Remind me who you are and when you purchased the package from me. Please do not post all the questions on the forums. One reason is I give a little extra help to people that purchased my video. The second is it will cloud the answer by getting opinions from people that think they know what the answer is and it may not be correct. Then I have to start debating all the responses. One of the things I do is help people get ATF licensed , so please email me directly about my ATF/DVD package.
At Rick in Tampa
You are the applicant stay focused on your end of it, you stepped over to their end and you are trying to reason out their position and circumstances. Because these people keep preaching only people that they feel are competent should be ATF 1.3 licensed does not mean it is true.
I can only stand on my record of helping enthusiast become licensed over the years. You do not have to know how to shoot fireworks to get this licensed. It is not competency based. The only analogy I can compare it to is purchasing a firearm in United States. People all should be trained before they walk into Walmart and purchase a gun. But they are not. It is not a requirement. You have to make your own decision if you are ready to do this. If you are not ready, then proceed to get some training or work a few shows before you apply.

CTPYRO
07-14-2016, 10:16 AM
I think being well versed in 1.3 is certainly the smart thing to do if you have never shot B before. It's a different animal...... get on with a pryo club.... get on with pyro company. Your gonna appreciate it

aldude345
07-15-2016, 08:18 PM
The Atf just picked up my application today in Georgia so let the waiting game begin. I feel very confident and will report back any updates

displayfireworks1
07-15-2016, 09:57 PM
At Aldude345
I am impressed you are moving along nice, even though you ask me 55 thousand questions in those emails. LOL Let me know when your interview is scheduled. Just in case you are thinking of doing so, do not call anyone in any state or government capacity. Just sit back and wait for the phone call to schedule your interview. I just received an email today from someone that called some state authority in the middle of this process and became so discouraged I belive he gave up. If you or anyone else is thinking about calling the state for anything, do so after you receive this Federal Explosive License. Then your conversation starts out , hello my name is John Doe, I am a Federal Explosive License Holder etc.

aldude345
07-15-2016, 10:16 PM
I havent made any phone calls.. U talking about fire marshalls or people of that nature Dave. I also included with my application my emloyee possessor form when i applied for that group out of the twin cities that hopefully to show that i am trying to advance in the professional pyro world as well. I think it would only help and wouldnt hurt anything. i said dont process it again but to look at it. I am very thorough when i do stuff like this

aldude345
07-19-2016, 02:43 PM
I see the atf already cashed the check...does this seem real fast or is that typical.

displayfireworks1
07-19-2016, 05:26 PM
It unusual, because the government usually waits to cash the check when their wife goes to the bank on Friday. LOL Don't you call anyone, I can tell you getting restless. Sit back, relax and wait for the call from the ATF.

djsmurf
07-19-2016, 11:49 PM
They cash those checks on the spot, then go have lunch on you, lol. It took a few weeks to hear from them once they processed payment. Relax an wait to hear from them. Good luck.

aldude345
07-29-2016, 05:04 PM
Ok just got the call this morning and its set for Next Thursday at 230. she did mention that in minnesota u need a state certification but she didnt make it real clear if that was for SHOOTING or their requirements for getting the type 54. She knows that i joined a pyro group and plan on being out of state too. It doesnt sound like an automotaic no however because i am technically trying to get the certification part going. Shooting i do know requires state certification but she could have just said that cause its her job to go over the regulations for me.

aldude345
08-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Dave I want to thank u for everything. She approved the type 54 and i just sit and wait for it now. That was much easier then i thought. I do have one question to ask anyone here though about transporting. Do u need like a approved fireworks truck or can a guy like me just show up in my normal ride..thats my last question Thanks again to everyone and especially u dave. I will tell u she made me change some stuff on my app that u had stated to put on your dvd.