PDA

View Full Version : 25 shot milk crate rack...need some help

Crab107
07-02-2016, 01:22 PM
So i made one. Used DR11 just has suggested. My only problem is my hole saw went all the way through my plugs. Any advice on how to seal this hole and it be solid??

Cerus
07-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Ouch. Only way I could think of would be to glue a dowel plug in but I don't know that it would be safe. I'd think it would end up being a weak point.

dwright1542
07-02-2016, 06:20 PM
JBWeld will be stronger than the plug itself.

pistolus
07-02-2016, 10:47 PM
I doubt that tiny hole will hinder the lift of the shell much.. Might burn the grass though, lol. But glooping some JBWeld resin in there would plug it up nice like dwright1542 said.

Crab107
07-02-2016, 11:45 PM
Cool..thanks guys!!!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-03-2016, 05:06 AM
Just saw your crate Crab. Once the dust settles I'd be interested in hearing how it worked for you. I bought all my DR-11 tubes pre-plugged, so I'm not sure where the hole saw came into play. But I'm sure there's an interesting story there. :-)

Crab107
07-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Just saw your crate Crab. Once the dust settles I'd be interested in hearing how it worked for you. I bought all my DR-11 tubes pre-plugged, so I'm not sure where the hole saw came into play. But I'm sure there's an interesting story there. :-)

I didnt have time to order so i found some DR 11 at a pipe supply. The hole saw was to cut the plugs but the one i bought had a pilot bit that was too long. Im going to fire some test shots to make sure the filler holds. Then im going to order pre-made plugs after. The plugs i have are screwed and glued in place..they arent going anywhere. I was just worried about that small hole in the middle of them.
This is exactly why i went into nursing..lol..every project that requires tools always goes sideways with me. If you come to me in the ER i will for sure save your ass..but asking me to come help you build a wooden box would be catastrophic..lmao!!

Rick_In_Tampa
07-03-2016, 02:25 PM
I didnt have time to order so i found some DR 11 at a pipe supply. The hole saw was to cut the plugs but the one i bought had a pilot bit that was too long. Im going to fire some test shots to make sure the filler holds. Then im going to order pre-made plugs after. The plugs i have are screwed and glued in place..they arent going anywhere. I was just worried about that small hole in the middle of them.
This is exactly why i went into nursing..lol..every project that requires tools always goes sideways with me. If you come to me in the ER i will for sure save your ass..but asking me to come help you build a wooden box would be catastrophic..lmao!!

Lol... You're still one up on me kiddo! Like I said, I buy all my stuff pre-made. Not sure if you saw pictures of the boards I use, but I built those myself. I think I broke darn near every commandment in the process too. It's just not my thing. So you rock on sister!! I'm excited to hear how yours turn out. I think you're going to be pleased at the outcome. Please post some video!!

Crab107
07-03-2016, 03:10 PM
I will post a video. Im going to video all my shots, time the burn times on the fuses to ignition..etc..tryin to "build my show" so to speak. I know working with fuse itll never be perfect but its gonna be fun trying

And yes i saw those boards bro..freakin killer!! I was showing my girlfriend your pics and how i want o set a set up like that. She laughed at me...lol

Rick_In_Tampa
07-03-2016, 03:33 PM
lol.... They all laugh until they see the final result going up. We're just misunderstood and underappreciated I tell ya!! I'm fine with that.... :cool:

titanspark76
07-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Out of curiosity where did you find hdpe tubes. I called everywhere I could think of within a hundred miles and no luck. Actually most everyone I had to tell them several times because they had never heard of it before. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost and what length did they come in?

chrish
07-03-2016, 11:54 PM
I like milk crates too. I use the cheapos from walmart for $3.50. I figure if something blows the light weight plastic doesn't have enough mass to carry very far. they are light to carry also.

I used them tonight matter of fact. our 4th is thunderstorms so I lit off tonight. I got to help light off a big show last night (7-8 thousand) and tonight our modest $1000. its been a fun days.

Crab107
07-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Out of curiosity where did you find hdpe tubes. I called everywhere I could think of within a hundred miles and no luck. Actually most everyone I had to tell them several times because they had never heard of it before. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost and what length did they come in?

I got it from a plumbing supply..consolidated pipe and supply. They sell in 40ft length for 1.15 a ft. Its a tipe of water pipe

Crab107
07-04-2016, 11:15 AM
I like milk crates too. I use the cheapos from walmart for $3.50. I figure if something blows the light weight plastic doesn't have enough mass to carry very far. they are light to carry also.

I used them tonight matter of fact. our 4th is thunderstorms so I lit off tonight. I got to help light off a big show last night (7-8 thousand) and tonight our modest $1000. its been a fun days.

Awe man 7 grand??? Yes!!!! Mustve been crazy!! Mine will be a modest show as well. I couldve been a little more but spent some on tools and supplies.

Rick_In_Tampa
07-04-2016, 11:31 AM

Sounds like a fun weekend for you!!

My buddy works for Microsoft. He has pretty deep pockets. This year he spent $6K on his show. Here are a few pictures of what he's got planned for tonight. He was also the guy who convinced me milk crates were the way to go. You'll see why in the pictures. He use two modified pontoon boats for his show. One for the main show and one for the finale. Check out the crates on the back end of the finale boat! That's just part of the 1K mortars he's got in his show this year.

Main shown (near side) and finale boat (far side)

Back of Finale boat:

RGB919
07-04-2016, 01:05 PM
JBWeld will be stronger than the plug itself.

I agree, a little epoxy or JB weld would solve the problem.

Crab107
07-04-2016, 01:13 PM
Sounds like a fun weekend for you!!

My buddy works for Microsoft. He has pretty deep pockets. This year he spent $6K on his show. Here are a few pictures of what he's got planned for tonight. He was also the guy who convinced me milk crates were the way to go. You'll see why in the pictures. He use two modified pontoon boats for his show. One for the main show and one for the finale. Check out the crates on the back end of the finale boat! That's just part of the 1K mortars he's got in his show this year.

Main shown (near side) and finale boat (far side)

Back of Finale boat:

Pardon my language but HOLYEEEEE SHIUT!!!!!!! ...thats in the most southern accent you can possibly imagine btw...lol.
Man that is serious fire power. OMG!!!! did you help with that set up. This is all fused?? Not electronic??

pyroboom
07-04-2016, 03:28 PM
So i made one. Used DR11 just has suggested. My only problem is my hole saw went all the way through my plugs. Any advice on how to seal this hole and it be solid??

Can I use your picture?

Crab107
07-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Can I use your picture?

Absolutely