PDA

View Full Version : Humidity and fast fuse

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2016, 03:35 AM
So last year I had a bad experience using fast fuse because it rained and the fuse got wet and didn't light. This year everything is covered in foil so that's (hopefully) not going to be an issue.

Now my concern is the effect of humidity on the fuse. I've had my finale rack wired for about a month now. It's been sitting in the garage all covered up, but it just dawned on me that it's been humid as hell, and maybe the fuse will absorb this water and come the 4th, I might wind up with a dud when I press the fire button for the finale.

Has anyone ever experienced any humidity related issues using this fast fuse? I'm wondering if I should re-wire the thing just to be safe...

Thoughts?

fireworkfan
06-27-2016, 06:49 AM
since it's the finale,i'd put 2 or 3 backups in it just to make sure if nothing else goes at least it does.

chriskrc
06-27-2016, 07:00 AM
since it's the finale,i'd put 2 or 3 backups in it just to make sure if nothing else goes at least it does.

I would agree with the back up fuse except if you are concerned about the humidity do it on the day of the show. That should hopefully ease your mind.

PyroJoeNEPA
06-27-2016, 09:27 AM
When you say "Fast Fuse" are you referring to the grey paper type fuse or the pink visco? The grey paper fuse is more prone to absorb moisture than the visco style fuse.
If you are uneasy about the reliability--cut a section of the fuse out & try it. Easy to re-fuse a section of your finale rack than to have it not go at showtime.
Also, I use the pink fast fuse for a bunch of 1.4g racks for filler in the finale but I always use two strands of the fuse together. Might be overkill, but fuse is cheap, two strands passes a lot more fire than one, and the only "no goes" I ever had were a couple shells that their stock fuse burned half way down or so & went out. 100% passfire on the chains.
The grey paper tape fuse isn't very "user friendly" because it absorbs moisture so easily--but it is great to put 2 or 3 strands in a paper sleeve to make your own quick match if you need it.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2016, 09:50 AM

Short of re-wiring the thing altogether, how would I wire in a backup in this rack? 1145

Rick_In_Tampa
06-27-2016, 10:13 AM
When you say "Fast Fuse" are you referring to the grey paper type fuse or the pink visco? The grey paper fuse is more prone to absorb moisture than the visco style fuse.
If you are uneasy about the reliability--cut a section of the fuse out & try it. Easy to re-fuse a section of your finale rack than to have it not go at showtime.
Also, I use the pink fast fuse for a bunch of 1.4g racks for filler in the finale but I always use two strands of the fuse together. Might be overkill, but fuse is cheap, two strands passes a lot more fire than one, and the only "no goes" I ever had were a couple shells that their stock fuse burned half way down or so & went out. 100% passfire on the chains.
The grey paper tape fuse isn't very "user friendly" because it absorbs moisture so easily--but it is great to put 2 or 3 strands in a paper sleeve to make your own quick match if you need it.

Well, sorta. It's grey, but it's not the flimsy stuff you get 20' per package that looks like this:

This came in a nondescript plastic bag from Cannonfuse.com. (I believe they're a sponsor here so it's okay to mention them) It does have some heft to it, it's braided, and it feels like the visco fuse that comes on every mortar shell. Hopefully this picture will do it justice:

If I do wind up re-fusing the thing, I am going to use 2 strands. I like that idea a lot!!