PDA

View Full Version : Mortar tube sizes? will mine work?

vogt.ryan
06-26-2016, 11:26 AM
I have an unlimited supply to 2 inch I.D. tubes will these work with 1.75 excalibur shells? or will i need to shim thew shells? or should i just get the HDPE tubes
i should add that ill only shoot ou[t of the tubes once then throw them away

displayfireworks1
06-26-2016, 11:32 AM
If I read between the lines , when you say shoot out of them only one time. That means should not really shoot out of them at all. Here is the thing with using the wrong mortars. It may work one time or 100 times. If a shell blows apart in the mortar, it will send flying sharp material everywhere. Can you post a picture of the material you are considering to use?

vogt.ryan
06-26-2016, 11:44 AM
the reason i say ill only shoot out of them once as they are Cardboard tubes(forgot to mention that). they are 2 inch I.D. with a 1/2 wall. i can post pictures later, the real thing i was worried about was if the 1/8 gap all around would cause too much blow by. not worried so much by the longevity of the tubes as i get them for free. I understand that Cardboard tubes are the very bottom of the totem pole. but saving nearly $70 on a 25 shot rack is a big perk to me. i read online also that if blow by is an issue some people have done a few wraps of tape to insure a proper fit. I read also about a Shizimu Formula? (diameter of shell squared)/(Inside diameter of tube squared) is equal to or less than 0.5 then the tube is too big? Any thoughts?

djsmurf
06-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Are they plugged 2in tubes? I would pay the $70 just to avoid any low break issues, and personally would never fire a 60g can out of Cardboard.

vogt.ryan
06-26-2016, 01:29 PM
they arent plugged but i have can plug them my self

PyroJoeNEPA
06-26-2016, 01:36 PM
and personally would never fire a 60g can out of Cardboard.In Mexico they shoot 3" & 4" shells out of thick walled cardboard tubes all the time. And they are still in use here in the USA by some companies.
I have a couple racks of 2 1/2" & 3" cardboard tubes that are several years old and still "good to go" if I need to use them in a pinch.
As for the OP question--a 2" ID tube will give you a low break every time with a 1.75" can & isn't a safe thing to do. Like djsmurf said above--if they aren't plugged, the time & effort isn't really worth the few bucks you would save.
Look up pyroboom on the sponsors page here--Eric will give you a good price & best quality product & customer service.
Sometimes, trying to save a few bucks will cost more in the long run.
Yes, you can put several wraps of tape around a can to make it fit tighter---but is it worth the effort?

vogt.ryan
06-26-2016, 02:20 PM
thank you all very much, the inner penny pincher was getting the best of me, any ideas what these tubes may other wise be good for?

PyroJoeNEPA
06-26-2016, 03:47 PM
You could use them for "Dr X" salutes. LOL..... If you don't know what that is all about, there are a group of un-named pyros ["fight club" reference here] that make huge cylinder salutes & launch them at PGI.

fireworkfan
06-26-2016, 04:50 PM
the low break factor alone would be enough for me to not use a larger tube,i'd just get the correct ones and save the headache.