PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Georgia

Crab107
06-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Hey guys. Im a backyard pyro. Loved fireworks from the first time i saw them. Im no a professional at all. Im an RN in a level 2 trauma center. Ive seen people on just about every july 4th with motar shells imbedded in legs, groins, burns and head trauma as well..so i know the dangers.

So this is my third backyard show. Learned alot about fuses and timing over the years..many times before setting off multiple motars would require 3 people and 3 lighters..lol.

Started tying fuse together about 2 years ago..so here are some pics of a couple of my arrangements so far...keep in my mind I AM NO PRO..if you see somthing totally stupid dont laugh!! ;)

Used zip ties and electrical tape to tie my fuse due to the fact that my runs will have to be removed from the cannister, stored, then placed back into the cannisters on the 4th. I need my connections to be strong

Crab107
06-23-2016, 03:26 PM
Hey guys. Im a backyard pyro. Loved fireworks from the first time i saw them. Im no a professional at all. Im an RN in a level 2 trauma center. Ive seen people on just about every july 4th with motar shells imbedded in legs, groins, burns and head trauma as well..so i know the dangers.

So this is my third backyard show. Learned alot about fuses and timing over the years..many times before setting off multiple motars would require 3 people and 3 lighters..lol.

Started tying fuse together about 2 years ago..so here are some pics of a couple of my arrangements so far...keep in my mind I AM NO PRO..if you see somthing totally stupid dont laugh!! ;)

Used zip ties and electrical tape to tie my fuse due to the fact that my runs will have to be removed from the cannister, stored, then placed back into the cannisters on the 4th. I need my connections to be strong

I forgot to mention my stuff is consumer grade..im sure you can tell. Brands are..
Lock and Load by barely legal
Exerminator by phantom
Continuum by pyro planet

chriskrc
06-23-2016, 04:53 PM
Welcome to the forum. I must say it's great that you still have a love for fireworks even after seeing the injuries you do. Mistakes can happen but as long as people do what they can to be safe, it's always fun to put on a show.

Crab107
06-23-2016, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the forum. I must say it's great that you still have a love for fireworks even after seeing the injuries you do. Mistakes can happen but as long as people do what they can to be safe, it's always fun to put on a show.

I learned a long time ago to secure the motar tubes so they dont tip over. Ive gotten so into it this year, im even naming my "runs".

Named one the partriot..its gonna be a simultaneous 4 shot blast (hopefully) to signify a terroist attack followed by a consecutive 10 shot of red white and blue "counter attack"...kind of dorky sounding i know but ive always been a bit of a nerd anyway.

Got a "DB Copper" to...lol...Big brocade, followed by green palms, ending with a red brocade

JmFnG
06-23-2016, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope. :)

Crab107
06-23-2016, 06:33 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope. :)

Thats funny. Ive already been looking around at what some of you guys spend..im small time but already researching whole sale and electronic systems..lol..already headed down hill bro

displayfireworks1
06-23-2016, 07:55 PM
Hello to the state of Georgia, thanks for joining the pyrotalk forums.
http://www.aerodacious.com/Pix/mapus-ga.jpg

apellet
06-23-2016, 08:22 PM
Hello, and welcome! I'm also new at this and in the short time I've been here, I've found that everyone is really helpful and encouraging. There is no intimidation factor and the enthusiasm is truly contagious. Have fun!

PyroManiacs
06-23-2016, 09:15 PM
Welcome to PyroTalk, you made it just in time!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-23-2016, 11:41 PM

Crab - Welcome to the circus!! lol.... Lots to learn here and many good people to learn from. I live in the swamp below you called Florida. Like you I used zip ties and tape to secure my fuse to all my cakes and mortars. However, instead of electrical tape, I used what they call around here, "Dave's magic tape." It's basically paper tape for sealing boxes from U-Haul. This stuff is so sticky I'm convinced it will secure ice cubes together. Since it's paper, my guess is it will probably burn better than electrical tape too. I don't know if you incorporate any 200G or 500G cakes in your show, but it also works very well for securing the fuse to the sides of the cakes so it's not just hanging out there for someone to snag and rip off the cakes. Give it a look. You might find it a better option.

Again, welcome aboard!

Crab107
06-24-2016, 12:12 AM
Crab - Welcome to the circus!! lol.... Lots to learn here and many good people to learn from. I live in the swamp below you called Florida. Like you I used zip ties and tape to secure my fuse to all my cakes and mortars. However, instead of electrical tape, I used what they call around here, "Dave's magic tape." It's basically paper tape for sealing boxes from U-Haul. This stuff is so sticky I'm convinced it will secure ice cubes together. Since it's paper, my guess is it will probably burn better than electrical tape too. I don't know if you incorporate any 200G or 500G cakes in your show, but it also works very well for securing the fuse to the sides of the cakes so it's not just hanging out there for someone to snag and rip off the cakes. Give it a look. You might find it a better option.

Again, welcome aboard!

Thanks Rick! I actually read about daves tape on the web!! After i had most of my stuff rigged up..lol..got a uhaul store just down the street. I have a cake but its no 500g. Been thinking of getting or making some racks for my next show..this is gonna be an expensive hobby but god i love it!

Crab107
06-24-2016, 01:13 AM
Correction..i do have a 500g!! THE THUNDER GUNS!! Got for "free" for spending over 200..lol.

AND A BIG THANKS TO ALL YOU GUYS FOR THE WELCOMES. I enjoy looking at all your posts, info, experience and over all good sharing of info!! Should have gone into pyro technics instead of nursing!! Dont get me wrong..i love my job and the excitement of the ER but ...blowing off fireworks...nothing outdoors compares guys.

Rick_In_Tampa
06-24-2016, 03:08 AM
Thanks Rick! I actually read about daves tape on the web!! After i had most of my stuff rigged up..lol..got a uhaul store just down the street. I have a cake but its no 500g. Been thinking of getting or making some racks for my next show..this is gonna be an expensive hobby but god i love it!

Very addicting isn't it?! Three years ago I was buying a pre-packaged kit for a few hundred dollars that had maybe a dozen 500G cakes and a handful of 200G cakes that I hand lit in front of the house. This year I have $2500 invested in 90-something 500G cakes, 24 x 200G cakes and 150 mortars, as well as a remote firing system. It's nuts. I'm thinking I need to look for a part time job just to fund next years show!

This year I bought a 36 shot fan rack to use as the big finale "shot". The 36 shells have a total of 108 breaks. All are wired with 1/4 sec per ft fast fuse so it should all go up at the same time. If you're looking to get into launching mortars, a cheap and easy way to go is the milk crate route. You can put 25 HDPE DR-11 tubes nicely and snugly in a plastic milk crate. I have 4 of those crates in my show this year as well. I got my crates from Home Depot for like $9.99 each, and the DR-11 tubes for (I believe) $2.99 ea. online. I'm sure Dave has a sponsor for those here. I'll post a pic so you can see what I'm talking about.

Crab107
06-24-2016, 12:03 PM
Dude...teach me...lol. man i wish i wouldve found you guys a month ago

JmFnG
06-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Thats funny. Ive already been looking around at what some of you guys spend..im small time but already researching whole sale and electronic systems..lol..already headed down hill bro

It's a fun ride for sure. Careful though, we're all contagious.

JmFnG
06-24-2016, 01:38 PM

That's funny! I had already blown most of my budget when I started coming around here back in May. Said the same thing. Luckily, I'm a shameless bargain hunter, and I'm also not afraid to ask about non-advertised discount possibilities.....so I've managed to get a LOT for my budget compared to typical retail purchases (about $1500 after firing system, lumber and misc supplies).

Looking at spreading the $ around to a couple of wholesale sellers next year, though. Aiming for a balance between economy and variety (easier when you're not buying cases, but a bit more pricey).

Good luck with your show!

ilovecrackle
06-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Rick_In_Tampa
06-25-2016, 01:04 AM

Dudette - I'll help however I can! ;)