View Full Version : Need help with fuse timing please :)

lcwallis
06-22-2016, 11:46 AM
I am setting up my consumer fireworks display to music.
There are certain songs that need things to go off at a specific time.

I have purchased some 500g World Class, Black Cat, and Brothers products.

Does anyone know what the average fuse time of cakes would be?

Thanks

ilovecrackle
06-22-2016, 12:18 PM
That's really hard to answer for one, all cakes are not the same duration and two, you didn't list what cakes you have. :p
Here is what I do, this should get your pointed in the right direction. :)
I make a list of all the cakes I have and then look them up on youtube. Watch a couple videos of each cake and that will give you about how long each cake will last. Keep in mind with consumer cakes, the internal fusing is not that consistent. You can have two of the same cake, from the same case and they can differ a few seconds. But for the most part, watching the videos on youtube should give you a pretty good idea how long each one last. :D

lcwallis
06-22-2016, 12:40 PM
Thanks ilovecrackle... I did look at the actual shoot times of each item but I need to account from the time the fuse lights to the actual first shot. I'm using an average of 4 seconds but I didn't know if anyone had a better time.

thanks for the reply

Bazerk
06-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Oh boy, your a brave soul. Its hard enough to pull of an accurate pyromusical with 1.4, but to do it with fuse? Yikes! The problem with cakes are the inconsistency with both the fuse leading into the first shot as well as the fusing between the shots. Unless your breaking the cakes apart you really cant control that unfortunately. As far as figuring out the time it will take for the cake to start from the time its lit, also tricky because you may ignite the fuse at a different location. They usualy use visco fuse on cakes which burns at 30 seconds per foot if I am not mistaken. Let us know how it turns out bud!

displayfireworks1
06-22-2016, 12:48 PM
You can look product up on wikifireworks they are one of my advertisers.
http://www.wikifireworks.com/
Are you using a firing system and electric match etc?

mjbland05
06-22-2016, 12:59 PM
Watch a couple videos of each cake and that will give you about how long each cake will last. Keep in mind with consumer cakes, the internal fusing is not that consistent. You can have two of the same cake, from the same case and they can differ a few seconds. But for the most part, watching the videos on youtube should give you a pretty good idea how long each one last. :D

This... definitely try to find more than one video of each cake if you can. i forget which cake, but one of my cakes this year has a 10 second duration difference between two different videos.

lcwallis
06-22-2016, 01:04 PM
Thank you all for the replies! I have the information I need now.
Last year I did this for the first time with just home rigged buttons, speaker wire, alligator clips, and wire wrapped around the fuse.
It worked out really well so this year i'm going with more push buttons.
The timing was pretty cool but this year I'm adding a little more precision. I don't know if it will work but the folks who come to the farm for the show usually love it, that's what really matters.
Thanks again for all the good information

lcwallis
06-22-2016, 01:07 PM
This... definitely try to find more than one video of each cake if you can. i forget which cake, but one of my cakes this year has a 10 second duration difference between two different videos.
I know what you mean! I have one that is 10 second difference (183 degrees Fahrenheit) I think someone slowed down the video to make it more impressive or something.

lcwallis
06-22-2016, 01:11 PM
You can look product up on wikifireworks they are one of my advertisers.
http://www.wikifireworks.com/
Are you using a firing system and electric match etc?

Oh wow this is a great website, thank you for the link

displayfireworks1
06-22-2016, 01:16 PM
I know it is too late now, in the future consider one of the inexpensive wireless systems. It is hard to advance into specialized firing of fireworks to music without at least a small firing system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n-VVkfNlAQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxEdx0DG-Zg

apellet
06-22-2016, 01:18 PM
Some websites will also show the duration in the product description, so you could compare that to the YouTube videos. Intergalactic Fireworks is pretty good about this.